Sign in to follow this  
StephenPatterson

Leica T adapter M

Also M lenses f stops show up as f0.0 and this could easily be read/estimated like on M cameras with M lenses.

F-stop guesstimation requires an external light sensor that the T lacks. Native T lenses don’t need it and adapting M lenses is just an option that the majority of customers aren’t expected to make much use of anyway, so why mess with an otherwise exceptionally clean design?

Well, not all; many M mount wide lenses aren't so good. mind you, thats no reason for Sony to change mounts

Indeed, the A7 sensor toppings are not friendly to RF lenses, even though M lens adaptability was part of the initial hype. Unfortunately, the T sensor toppings don't seem any better as per Sean Reid's comparison with the GXR-M. Both A7 and T have their sensors toppings optimized for their native lenses, which is the sane thing to do. Leica and Sony want us to buy new lenses not use our old lenses on the rather underpriced cameras. The money is made on the lenses and the cameras are sold at a loss, undoubtedly.

Edited by edwardkaraa

Leica and Sony want us to buy new lenses not use our old lenses on the rather underpriced cameras. The money is made on the lenses and the cameras are sold at a loss, undoubtedly.

Yes and no. There are thousands of lenses that do work well on the Sony. Compatibility with Canon and Nikon lenses is a selling point in getting people to try it.

Edited by AlanG

Yes and no. There are thousands of lenses that do work well on the Sony. Compatibility with Canon and Nikon lenses is a selling point in getting people to try it.

No doubt about that, but I was specifically talking about M lenses.

Ultimately, Sony wants you to buy their native lenses and any compatibility with SLR lenses is just a happy accident.

Indeed, the A7 sensor toppings are not friendly to RF lenses, even though M lens adaptability was part of the initial hype. Unfortunately, the T sensor toppings don't seem any better as per Sean Reid's comparison with the GXR-M. Both A7 and T have their sensors toppings optimized for their native lenses, which is the sane thing to do. Leica and Sony want us to buy new lenses not use our old lenses on the rather underpriced cameras. The money is made on the lenses and the cameras are sold at a loss, undoubtedly.

Actually Edward

I'll beg to differ here

The A7r is a catastrophe with most wide M lenses

The T is really good with all wide M lenses

Sean noticed a slight colour shift in some tricky lenses, which is quite different from smeary corners found on the Sony A7r

So you shouldn't be bunging them in the same category.

No doubt about that, but I was specifically talking about M lenses.

Ultimately, Sony wants you to buy their native lenses and any compatibility with SLR lenses is just a happy accident.

What I am trying to tell you is that compatibility with the latest modern lenses - from Sony Alpha and E mount, Canon, and Nikon in particular was part of a key strategy. And they hoped a number of Leica R and M lens owners would buy it also. (Maybe owners of other lenses too.)

When I first saw an A7r at the PhotoExpo last fall it had a Canon 24-70 on it via a Metabones AF adapter. I have never seen any other manufacturer show a competitor's lens that way at this show. Yes of course they want you to buy their lenses, but you don't have to. I have a friend who only uses Canon TSE lenses on it. A lot of people will buy the A7s for use only with various third party cine lenses.

I guess Leica hopes that some M users will buy the T for use with M lenses and that those buyers will add a number of T lenses over time. How much this is part of a design or marketing strategy or how much research went into this plan is impossible for me to say.

Edited by AlanG

Actually Edward

I'll beg to differ here

The A7r is a catastrophe with most wide M lenses

The T is really good with all wide M lenses

Sean noticed a slight colour shift in some tricky lenses, which is quite different from smeary corners found on the Sony A7r

So you shouldn't be bunging them in the same category.

Jono, don't forget that the T has an APS-C sensor while the A7R is FF. I am not sure how much of the FF sensor surface is affected by the smear, but my guess is that if you crop the A7R images to APS-C equivalent, you should be able to get rid of most, if not all the smearing.

Sean Reid found the GXR-M sensor to produce better results in the image periphery, probably because it has been designed to copy the M9 shifted microlenses.

Jono, don't forget that the T has an APS-C sensor while the A7R is FF. I am not sure how much of the FF sensor surface is affected by the smear, but my guess is that if you crop the A7R images to APS-C equivalent, you should be able to get rid of most, if not all the smearing.

Sean Reid found the GXR-M sensor to produce better results in the image periphery, probably because it has been designed to copy the M9 shifted microlenses.

Hi Edward. Not only do I know what Sean wrote - I discussed it with him. It's not the same thing as the poor results from the Sony in any respect - and nor is it just a case of APS-c or full frame (the NEX 7 was also poor with M lenses).

As far as I'm concerned the T does well with M lenses - period - Sean found that the GXR-M did better in the peripheries - I don't have one and didn't try, but the T does Well in the peripheries, colour shift is minimal and smearing is non-existent (in my tests).

W

When I first saw an A7r at the PhotoExpo last fall it had a Canon 24-70 on it via a Metabones AF adapter. I have never seen any other manufacturer show a competitor's lens that way at this show. Yes of course they want you to buy their lenses, but you don't have to. I have a friend who only uses Canon TSE lenses on it. A lot of people will buy the A7s for use only with various third party cine lenses.

Great Stuff Alan - Thank Youl

What metering modes are available on the T when used with M lenses? Since the camera can't control aperture, S and P are out.

For Aperture priority, I assume that with a T lens, the scene is metered open aperture as usual and infers what the working light level will be from the aperture selected on the camera.

With an M lens, the scene will instead be metered at working aperture so I assume the camera knows that an M to T adapter fitted and what is coming through the lens is then what the camera will get.

Well, not all; many M mount wide lenses aren't so good. mind you, thats no reason for Sony to change mounts

Jono, do you have view which M wides will be less successful on the T? The 28mm Summicron has been a bit of a problem child in the past but my hope is that the newer 18, 21, 24 lenses will perform reasonably.

Jono, do you have view which M wides will be less successful on the T? The 28mm Summicron has been a bit of a problem child in the past but my hope is that the newer 18, 21, 24 lenses will perform reasonably.

The 28 2.0 works perfect on the T. It gives a very natural view.... and wonderful colors

HI Mark

my 28 'cron is on holiday right now - but it did seem to work okay with the T (very slight colour shift in drab grey skies, but otherwise fine). Nothing else I tested (WATE, 24 elmar, 35 FLE, 50 'lux) caused any issues at all.

The 135 Apo Telyt is (as you can imagine) a real star on the T.