Survey: Would you buy the new Leica T?

Would you buy the new Leica T?  

649 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the new Leica T?

• Perfect camera for me, where can I buy?
    • Would like one but too expensive.
    • Let's wait and see how good the quality is.
    • No, I don't like design and touch display.
    • No, other cameras have better specs for less money
    • I am not interested in the Leica T.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And many people walk into a Leica store and buy, because it's located next to a Louis Vuitton store in an upscale mall, and not because they visit forums and review sites.

And will they buy the EVF? Maybe. But then again they all know what an iPhone or iPad UI is.

Is it? the one I buy at is next to a chips fry….
  • Like 2

Something nice to hold...I have unibody Apple products that are a perfect fit for me.

To enjoy a photographic process....I have many Ms.

Cropped sensor autofocus..I have 2 M8s and 2 Fujis.

Heavy weight...I have my Nikons and Zeiss lenses.

What do I need this jewelry for?

Something nice to hold...I have unibody Apple products that are a perfect fit for me.

Me too. I have many iPhone pictures.

To enjoy a photographic process....I have many Ms. And you wouldn't enjoy the T?

Cropped sensor autofocus..I have 2 M8s and 2 Fujis. M8's are not autofocus. Fuji's have their challenges.

Heavy weight...I have my Nikons and Zeiss lenses. The T is not heavy like your Nikons

What do I need this jewelry for?

Jewelry? Not yet. The Loius Vitton or titanium version is and that may be coming but for now the T could replace several of your cameras- M8, Fuji, iPhone. Don't like it, don't buy it but I bet if you tired it, you would get nice pictures and have fun in the process.

No, not at this stage. I am not keen on a touchscreen interface. I far prefer the analog controls of the M and X series. An X camera with interchangeable lenses would still be tempting as a backup to the M9, and the X Vario still looks attractive.

Jewelry? Not yet. The Loius Vitton or titanium version is and that may be coming but for now the T could replace several of your cameras- M8, Fuji, iPhone. Don't like it, don't buy it but I bet if you tired it, you would get nice pictures and have fun in the process.

How can it replace my M8. Does the T have a rangefinder mechanism?

How can it replace my Fuji? I have f/1.4 lenses for it now. And my Fuji is much cheaper in price.

How can it replace my iPhone? With this I can make images, keep in touch with friends, play games, have a reminder service and on and on and use it as a light meter for my film Ms. And have real innovation and design built in.

I already have fun making images with my setup. And do make nice images. I have posted some of them in this forum.

There are many cameras that are fun to use and make nice images other than this too. And they use a more modern sensor.

The only reason I replied was because it was a poll and invited comments.

I handled one last Friday in a London dealer and was not hugely won over. Actually, I was rather pleased by that, because it put that particular GAS twitch to bed for the moment.

What would drive me nuts is the delay between putting the EVF to the eye and it activating. Seemed like ages, and even the dealer said he thought that was a problem, before I'd commented. Maybe that's a future firmware fix?

All in all I was a bit underwhelmed, even by the hand finished body and the touchscreen. But of course I haven't had chance to see what the thing can do results-wise in my own untalented hands.

I can't see myself adding one to the stable though.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I handled one last Friday in a London dealer and was not hugely won over. Actually, I was rather pleased by that, because it put that particular GAS twitch to bed for the moment.

What would drive me nuts is the delay between putting the EVF to the eye and it activating. Seemed like ages, and even the dealer said he thought that was a problem, before I'd commented. Maybe that's a future firmware fix?

All in all I was a bit underwhelmed, even by the hand finished body and the touchscreen. But of course I haven't had chance to see what the thing can do results-wise in my own untalented hands.

I can't see myself adding one to the stable though.

Just don't go back to the dealer as you could get sucked in!

No, not at this stage. I am not keen on a touchscreen interface. I far prefer the analog controls of the M and X series. An X camera with interchangeable lenses would still be tempting as a backup to the M9, and the X Vario still looks attractive.

When the M gets a touchscreen interface you will be left trying to get used to it. I myself will be used to it by the end of this year if not sooner.

Leica seem to be going around in circles with its mainstream cameras [ which excludes Pana/Leicas ]

When it first introduced 35 mm cameras they were small, and after a while had a not very good viewfinder built on/in.

Then they made a major step forward with the world beating larger M3 with its superb built in muli-frame view finder.

Now it has again introduced a small camera with no viewfinder, and I suppose somewhere down the line it will introduce another slightly larger version with a built in EVF viewfinder !

Leica is often likened to Porsche , but that company has not decided to restrain itself from making multiple car choices that are similar to the original [ 911 - Boxster and Cayman ] plus the different Cayenne and Pamamera, which have all helped that company to thrive.

What Leica need to do is to make a FF [ or even APS-C ] Digi CL that is smaller than M cameras but just as capable, to give us a choice, which the 'T' isn't.

I also still don't understand why it can't remake the DMR as a FF R solution, even if they THEN rely on the R8/R9 cameras as the vehicles to use that back.

These cameras would sell and make Leica money - but it doesn't seem to want to do that [make money].

It is not in competition with Canon or Nikon, so why can't Leica listen to its potential customers ?

Bruno

The DMR sold - all of 3600 of them…..:rolleyes: And a FF sensor does not fit into the film gate of a film camera.

I did say FF or even APS-C, [ and even perhaps a 1.15 crop sensor - who knows ? ] and the 3,600 if that's the correct number was then, and this is now, when a new version could sell many more.

As I said, Leica is not in competition with the big guys, so don't have to sell millions.

Bruno

No it is not. I use an X1 as small(ish) carry-everywhere and use the OVF less and less.

I agree entirely. Only in the brightest conditions do I fit the OVF. As a reward for being a very patient early adopter of the X1, Leica gave me an ERC which comes with a neat leather case for the OVF. So the finder either lives in that on the strap, or in the small OVF case in my small local travel bag. For accurate framing live view is essential.

When the M gets a touchscreen interface you will be left trying to get used to it. I myself will be used to it by the end of this year if not sooner.

The M will have a touchscream interface by the end of the year? ;)

I certainly hope not. The trouble with computer products is it's up to "users" (even the term devalues people) to "be left trying to get used" to them, rather than being designed to be simple and intuitive in the first place. Often they are crammed with features merely to show how clever the programmers are, and they just get in the way with all the modes and menus. Granted, the T interface is by all accounts very clear, but it is not the only way forward for product design.

When the X Vario was released, Leica was saying how similar it was to the M in its design. Part of a family. The T is a clear break and obviously appeals to some. But simple, proven analog controls still have many advantages, even in the digital age, for all kinds of products. Fuji and even Nikon have introduced cameras whose controls are similar to the earliest Barnack Leicas! I would far rather have tactile shutter and aperture controls than have to press an LCD, especially in bright light.

Let's have a choice.

I don't think the next few iterations of the M will see the deletion of the manual dials and I do think there's a strong possibility for the next iteration of the M getting a touch screen (making menu item selection easier and more direct, etc).

I did say FF or even APS-C, [ and even perhaps a 1.15 crop sensor - who knows ? ] and the 3,600 if that's the correct number was then, and this is now, when a new version could sell many more.

As I said, Leica is not in competition with the big guys, so don't have to sell millions.

Bruno

Could - but wouldn't. Who would buy a 5000 $ (if that - probably more)cropped sensor digital back for a camera that would retail for 10.000 $ (which would be cheap for such a complicated small-series camera) when there is a D800 on the market for a fraction of the price.:confused: I would put the projected sales at under 100 per year....

Could - but wouldn't. Who would buy a 5000 $ (if that - probably more)cropped sensor digital back for a camera that would retail for 10.000 $ (which would be cheap for such a complicated small-series camera) when there is a D800 on the market for a fraction of the price.:confused: I would put the projected sales at under 100 per year....

Hi

Although your thoughts are based on entirely unsubstantiated [ ? ] figures,its worth reiterating the principal of a small manufacturer selling small numbers of digi-backs still makes financial sense, which would be 'mainly' aimed at existing R8 and R9 owners, and of course there is the knock on effect of selling lenses ?

As the camera bodies already exist and a new back should not cost too much to manufacture, there is extra profit to be made for Leica with not very much work and investment involved.

Leica SLRs would probably be more likely to be used by nature, landscape and art/portrait photographers than sports and news photographers [ the realm of Nikon and Canon].

As for the D8oo - well why do so many buy Range Rovers rather than cheaper 4x4s, after all they all get you where you want to go, so I suppose its all down to having a choice at different price points

Bruno

Leica is positioning the new T camera in the "aspirational purchase" space.

This dumb language is what luxury marketers use to describe a product that

speaks to potential users because of the look and the supposed "prestige" of the product.

The prime purpose of an aspirational positioned camera is to raise the profit margin of the company. That is all it is.

I had the opportunity to have one from my leica shop for saturday and sunday a demo.

I had used it with the zoom . They gave me also the m lens adaptor . I have the m 240 with 16/21, 35 summilux, 90 APO and 90 macro for comparison.

I was astonished and surprised how good it is and how well are the m lens on it. My daughter that is an Leica fan too simply said viewing the results It is a Leica even if she pick up ( even if blinded to tag) which photo are with the M lens

• Like 2

Hi

Although your thoughts are based on entirely unsubstantiated [ ? ] figures,its worth reiterating the principal of a small manufacturer selling small numbers of digi-backs still makes financial sense, which would be 'mainly' aimed at existing R8 and R9 owners, and of course there is the knock on effect of selling lenses ?

As the camera bodies already exist and a new back should not cost too much to manufacture, there is extra profit to be made for Leica with not very much work and investment involved.

Leica SLRs would probably be more likely to be used by nature, landscape and art/portrait photographers than sports and news photographers [ the realm of Nikon and Canon].

As for the D8oo - well why do so many buy Range Rovers rather than cheaper 4x4s, after all they all get you where you want to go, so I suppose its all down to having a choice at different price points

Bruno

Sorry, mate the R system is dead, because it would be so expensive to make that it would be stillborn in terms of sales - Mr. Stefan Daniel's (aka Leica's) own words in a meeting with forum members. They had a group of developers look into it for a couple of years and that was their unequivocal conclusion. Thus they switched to developing the S system.

On top of that Leica doesn't even have the tooling, body or lenses, any more, so it would be a completely new system. It didn't make commercial sense in the time that the (D)SLR ruled the market, in a time like this that DSLRs are a dwindling species it would be commercial suicide.

Edited by jaapv