Survey: Would you buy the new Leica T?

Would you buy the new Leica T?  

649 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the new Leica T?

• Perfect camera for me, where can I buy?
    • Would like one but too expensive.
    • Let's wait and see how good the quality is.
    • No, I don't like design and touch display.
    • No, other cameras have better specs for less money
    • I am not interested in the Leica T.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A removable EVF makes sense because it reduces camera size when it is not needed and provides the same functionality when used. The same way you can hitch a trailer to your car but don’t have to drive a pickup van all the time.

And some people like driving slightly larger cars [ jeeps and SUVs ] that do what a car + trailer would do but with so much less fuss and hassle, plus more convenience.

When an opinion is expressed it is not done with the object of changing everyone else's opinion but just to state what is felt by the person making the statement, and I still believe that with the accessory viewfinder on the T, it loses its sleek design and form/size plus you would have to worry about snagging it on something all the time.

Others of course may prefer that ?

You don't get shots like this with a rangefinder, but think what a joy it would be to be able to use a fast SLR with a new line of autofocus Leitz Apo telephotos!!

To get those kind of shots with a rangefinder is easy. The action is always at the same place/ area. The is not much need of focusing at all.

Back to the topic:

If I would be on a look out for a new camera system, the T were a buy to me. Not too expensive, very comparable to other offerings like Sony A7. I very much like the UI and design. I assume that the lenses are top notch.

Steve

• Like 2

I agree - back to view cameras - wonderful ground glass focusing, narrow DOF, beautiful contacts from the glass plate. That newfangled 135 format is for stupid amateurs only!:p

Sorry - your post sounded so much like the 1920/30ies format fights…;)

Hi Jaap,

I don't know if saying Leica has designed in 2014 a camera in the same category as the CL (high-end compact camera with interchangeable lenses, compatible with Leica M lenses) which is less easy to use than a camera designed 40 years ago, sound so much like the 1920/30ies format fights.

But if you say so...

;-)

Lucien

A removable EVF makes sense because it reduces camera size when it is not needed and provides the same functionality when used. The same way you can hitch a trailer to your car but don’t have to drive a pickup van all the time.

but it is all the time needed

tried it out in store today and while a beautiful object it just didn't really do it for me. didn't really like the touch screen controls and with the EVF it is pretty large. Also there is no way to turn off the review mode which is just really annoying and just that would stop me buying it especially as the whole package with lens and EVF comes to £3000.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm getting one. I had the M8 through M9 and sold the M9 anticipating getting the new M240. In between, while waiting I got into the m4/3 with small prime lenses. With my aging eyesight, I found I really enjoyed the autofocus and got more keepers with the Oly vs the Leica. However, when I compare the images I like my Leica pictures so much more... I'm hopeful that the new T will be a nice balance between m4/3 and FF Leica for size, IQ, speed, and fun to use. I kept my favorite M lenses so that helps.

• Like 1

And some people like driving slightly larger cars [ jeeps and SUVs ] that do what a car + trailer would do but with so much less fuss and hassle, plus more convenience.

When an opinion is expressed it is not done with the object of changing everyone else's opinion but just to state what is felt by the person making the statement, and I still believe that with the accessory viewfinder on the T, it loses its sleek design and form/size plus you would have to worry about snagging it on something all the time.

Others of course may prefer that ?

I drive a SUV but it still has a towing hitch...

It's an intriguing design and I like that it is auto focus with changeable lenses. I have a couple of M lenses in mind that I'd like to try with it, so I'm sitting on the fence at the moment until more reviews come in. In the mean time, I'll have to check my local Leica store and see if I can try one out

I'm very excited about this new offering from Leica

I'd love to try one out because I am ready for a new camera. I have taken amazing photos over the years with my Leica point and shoots, minilux, Digilux 2 and the X1 despite all their unique flaws. There is nothing like pulling a camera out and taking pictures in stride as you travel and at family events. I tried the Vario but for some reason it did not connect with me at all. I live in an area where there are no Lecia dealers for hundreds of miles so I have to either order without at least holding the T or get to Chicago.

I will say this, there is nothing like the warmth and color of Leica photos. We travel with friends carrying tons of camera gear and my Leica point and shoot pictures nine times out of ten communicate something more. Photographer or Leica :D

And many people walk into a Leica store and buy, because it's located next to a Louis Vuitton store in an upscale mall, and not because they visit forums and review sites.

And will they buy the EVF? Maybe. But then again they all know what an iPhone or iPad UI is.

I must disclose I have not handled the camera yet, but rather base my opinions on objective data posted on the item.

T: 16MP/$4500 with 23mm & EVF

M9/35mm Summicron: 18MP/$5000

The M9 is a proven professional platform, as is the 35mm Summicron. The one compromise, no video, but Leica is probably not the ideal platform for video anyway. More data needed on that front.

For me, imaging capability is 90% of my purchase motivation, 10% for cosmetic (silver chrome, please).

Side note: What is the rear screen cover glass comprised of on the T? If it is not sapphire, should we expect a professional version for an extra $1500 in the future, call it the "TP" (unintentional pun referring to toilet paper)?

Eric

Can you really get an M9 and a 35mm Summicron for $5k?

The lens sells for over $3k, which means a used M9 is selling for under $2k? This seems unbelievably low to me.

Yes. You can.

B&H has an M9 listed for $3699.00 and can be had for less.

35 Summicrons start out around $1600 and go up from there.

$5.000.00 to $5,500.00 is not unheard of.

• Like 1