Sign in to follow this  
LUF Admin

Survey: Would you buy the new Leica T?

Would you buy the new Leica T?  

649 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the new Leica T?

• Perfect camera for me, where can I buy?
    • Would like one but too expensive.
    • Let's wait and see how good the quality is.
    • No, I don't like design and touch display.
    • No, other cameras have better specs for less money
    • I am not interested in the Leica T.

I have not answered the survey because none of the questions fits, even nearly, my feelings around this camera.

I doubt I will buy the camera.

Not because I don't like it in any or all aspects. Frankly it looks marvelous.

Not because it is too expensive, I doubt really that it is.

The basic reason is that after recently acquiring the M, and my long loved M3, and my lenses, most elderly, I have all the cameras I need for the foreseeable future.

Same here.

I got my M240 less than a month ago so the T is not really a camera that I need. I carry my M240 with me all the time; if I wanted a smaller lighter camera for every day carry, I think the X2 would be a better choice for me.

The T looks like a great camera, though.

The concept is growing on me but as I'm only interested in big prints think I'll stick with the RX1 as my fun camera. Had the T had a full frame sensor I could have been interested.

Like so many others, I feel there is a place for a digital CL. (I had the Minolta CLE which at the time was wonderful.)

As my main cameras I'm perfectly happy with my M and Monochrom.

Cheers, Tom

I will certainly try out the T at some stage, just to try, whether the novel operating concept improves photography.

It does not tick my boxes, my main system is around the M mount, mainly because of the unique optical viewfinder. But I'm happy to challenge my biases.

However, I congratulate Leica for having the courage to try something new.

Stefan

Interesting. I'm a wait and see.

For me it would have to replace my A7r and 24-70 zoom, and M lens adapter. Such a camera is to complement my M cameras (and D800), no to replace them. So, rangefinders, optical viewfinders etc are irrelevant.

I like the simplified interface (compared to the Sony). Two programmable buttons, and the Leica focus on ISO, aperture and shutter speed.

The touch screen is also nice.

I like the form factor - it's elegant.

The fact that it might be released at some stage with a full frame sensor is encouraging.

16 MP seems a bit light to me, but then it's APS-C, so it's probably a sweet spot.

So, what are the determining factors?

(1) APS-C is really of no interest to me. I believe Leica is making a huge mistake competing in this crowded market sector when they already have a full frame CMOS sensor, and would be competing only with Sony (instead of Sony and just about every other camera manufacturer).

(2) No image stabilization (in body would be nice).

(3) EVF not built in.

I'm not really bothered where the electronics etc are made. We need to get over the snobbery of German Made, and focus on what Leica actually brings to the party. Apple makes all it's products in China under subcontract (as does every one else). I appreciate that the M cameras and lenses are made in Germany, and this is great - but for this market segment, it's unrealistic.

My need is a compact, electronic camera with mid range autofocus zoom. For all it's faults, the A7r fills that role. The T come very close, but no full frame kills it. I could live with the rest.

Will watch this with interest.

Cheers

John

I'd like to have one

The design strikes me as outstanding: it reaches back to the very first camera Barnack produced and modernizes it to a 21st century ethos...it is going to draw some comments, I know

I also like the diminutive size, how easily it might be pocketed and used as my walk-around camera with the 23 mm lens attached

And I like the various skins they are proposing for the body...they are quite unique and distinctive, great for personalizing

I give Leica two thumbs up for the T

I voted yes because the wifey's smitten. Looks like it's gonna be her birthday present. Also she won't let me get my lens (purchase of which went in hold due to family emergency) until she gets the T.

I believe it is a very beautiful camera and competent camera. I admire Leica for having the audacity to design and market this camera which should appeal to a lot of people wanting to have a Leica, a very pretty one, indeed. I may buy one for my wife to match with her purses:).

The Model T comes very close to a camera I would consider for my first digital camera.

Putting price aside,

For:

1) Style - I know superficially it resembles some other compact cameras, but the details are important - minimalist controls, solid metal chassis. Yes, it is very Apple inspired, and I like that.

1a) The strap lugs ! Great piece of detail design (but see Against)

2) Touchscreen interface - as a film user, digital camera screens have always looked intimidating and confusing to me. The T screen looks completely intuitive, again like an iPhone.

3) Interchangeable Leica lenses with auto-focus, but able to accommodate my M lenses. While I like having manual lenses on my M7, I would definitely want auto-focus on my first digital camera.

4) Comes closest so far to a digital CLE for me.

5) IQ wise, APS-C is ample size since I would hardly ever print larger than 10*8.

6) IQ-wise, some of the samples I've seen so far have a more film like quality than the over-crispiness I often see from digital.

Against;

1) The EVF is fat, plastic and out of keeping with the camera.

2) The strap lugs don't currently permit non-Leica T straps. Hopefully that will change (not a big deal though).

3) Even the 23mm lens is bigger than I would like - a pancake 40-45mm-equivalent in the future would be great.

4) Yep, price is an obstacle once you add everything up, so this camera is not an immediate option for me.

In this modern world manufacturers [ if they want to survive and prosper ] have to listen to their potential customers - and to give them what they want especially in this segment, but Leica never really does that [ digi CL and DMR ]

It goes part way but never the whole way - and why they think these add on viewfinders are good beats me and prevents me from buying the T, as in the real world it ruins the shape and design of this admittedly sleek and well designed camera and also is vulnerable to damage or snagging, and I for one would much prefer a slightly larger camera that incorporated a built in EVF.

The sensor size is more than enough for this segment and would be perfectly OK for the majority.of uses for this type of camera, irrespective of others jumping on the FF wagon.

When Leica designs and sells a camera that suits my needs [ and it appears a lot of other people's ] I'll buy it, as a second or back up camera, but until then its a competitor's small sensor, built in viewfinder camera for me - which is a pity.

Bruno

I am not interested in the Leica T.

no FF and no build in EVF --> interest = 0

I have a M240 but today I'll never buy it again

Edited by erick

No, zero interest in that design, hang on, it that even a new design? Samsumg or NEx?

Most of the forum members here are existing M users.

If as they say, a Leica is designed to last a lifetime, why would the company try to keep designing and selling cameras to this installed base?

Leica is right to open up new markets with new camera models.

Edited by rramesh

In this modern world manufacturers [ if they want to survive and prosper ] have to listen to their potential customers - and to give them what they want especially in this segment, but Leica never really does that [ digi CL and DMR ]

It goes part way but never the whole way - and why they think these add on viewfinders are good beats me and prevents me from buying the T, as in the real world it ruins the shape and design of this admittedly sleek and well designed camera and also is vulnerable to damage or snagging, and I for one would much prefer a slightly larger camera that incorporated a built in EVF.

The sensor size is more than enough for this segment and would be perfectly OK for the majority.of uses for this type of camera, irrespective of others jumping on the FF wagon.

When Leica designs and sells a camera that suits my needs [ and it appears a lot of other people's ] I'll buy it, as a second or back up camera, but until then its a competitor's small sensor, built in viewfinder camera for me - which is a pity.

Bruno

Hmmm, imagine the T, but with a built in optical finder with frame lines shown for 35/50/90 mm (equivalent) lenses and those 3 T mount AF primes.

I’m waiting because:

1. I’ve never been an early adopter of new tech items.

2. I’d like to see how users get along with the T – especially with the clip-on EVF and touch screen.

3. I haven’t yet handled one.

4. I’m reappraising my future digital colour needs.

5. I’m in no hurry.

No, zero interest in that design, hang on, it that even a new design? Samsumg or NEx?

I prefer a Sony A7R , the design is never the main thing for me

Edited by erick

I have been a serious Leica enthusiast since I bought my SL while a student at Cal-Tech in 1966. Leica has ENTIRELY missed the boat by not moving ahead with a new 35 mm. digital SLR that would take the existing R lenses, and also a new line of autofocus SLR lenses. When they brought out the S2, I thought they had lost their minds! It was overpriced, and after shooting with one I could hardly wait to give it back!! Serious photographers do not want endless rangefinder type cameras, but true, full frame digital SLR's!! I use a Nikon D4S, and have been able to use some of my great R lenses with this body.

I am really surprised that Leica is still in business, as their cameras now really only appeal to some "pseudo" collectors and those who desire to show that they can buy a camera with the Leica name. If the company is going to survive, it is time that they "get with the program" and bring out a camera that people who shoot seriously REALLY WANT- an R-10!! This would be a full frame, digital SLR, able to use (automatically) existing R lenses and have a new complement of autofocus lenses.

Dr. Martin A. Folb

For those of you who have a7, how about the Sony file compression? I sent mine back mainly due to vibration issues I was having, however the way Sony manipulate their files disturbs me.

I wonder if this T will manipulate files less than the a7? I still think T use depends more on how you use your files than its sensor size. jpeg internet files need not be FF, however prints larger than 20x30 perhaps could benefit from a FF sensor.

Maybe, Jono, you have some comment since you have used both extensively.

................Serious photographers do not want endless rangefinder type cameras, but true, full frame digital SLR's!! .........................

I have a suspicion that not everyone would agree with this assertion.