Survey: Would you buy the new Leica T?

Would you buy the new Leica T?  

649 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the new Leica T?

• Perfect camera for me, where can I buy?
    • Would like one but too expensive.
    • Let's wait and see how good the quality is.
    • No, I don't like design and touch display.
    • No, other cameras have better specs for less money
    • I am not interested in the Leica T.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

People have seen beyond/below the beautiful exterior and realised it's actually not that great compared with the competition from Sony and Fuji, and actually lower spec in many areas. When you factor in these apparent software shortfalls and suggested unreliability issues, and realise that if Leica can be bothered they "might" address them in a year or so, then it's not such an attractive camera any more. I'd be surprised if it is still selling at anything like the rate they anticipated/hoped for. I'm sure pre orders were high but after independent reviews and not the best reviews of accessories too, I think it's fallen rather flat. It's an "ok" ordinary camera, for a hugely inflated price. That suits some people so fair play, but I think both Leica and it's band of supporters were hoping for something just that little bit special, and it's not materialised.

The T helps keep Leica within the big picture of camera manufacturers, if Leica became a extreme niche product R and D in cameras would suffer. The market needs the Leicas of the world if only it is to offer a difference of product.

The deal-breaker for me is that one cannot black-out the LCD unless they put their eye up to the EVF. There would be numerous times when I simply would want to push a button and turn off the screen; i.e. in a play, movie theater, night club --- where the lit up LCD would be annoying to other people. Perhaps in a firmware upgrade there will be a touch icon to turn off the screen and the evf would be the default.

How would you switch it on again?

Not mine I think. But yes, now that you mention it, it was discussed. I was just visualizing the forum if it added nose control to its features :D

Edited by jaapv

How would you switch it on again?

Hi Jaap,

Well I'm wondering if it could work like the EVF on the 240. When you punch the button on the EVF the camera defaults to the EVF until the button is pushed again. Just a thought...:)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

On a orthogonally related topic I would like to point out one of the best implementations of touch focus on the T.

Really for people who have not used this before it's a revelation and the logical evolution of AF. Gone is focus and recompose or fiddling around to choose the right focus point.

On a related note it really relegates the EVF to me only to situations when the sun is bright and I am shooting into it, or when using very slow shutter speeds

Best Rgds

Edited by colonel
whynot
  • Like 2

On a orthogonally related topic I would like to point out one of the best implementations of touch focus on the T.

Really for people who have not used this before it's a revelation and the logical evolution of AF. Gone is focus and recompose or fiddling around to choose the right focus point.

On a related note it really relegates the EVF to me only to situations when the sun is bright and I am shooting into it, or when using very slow shutter speeds

Best Rgds

This is one of the more important reasons for me for not buying the T. I use progressive glasses and holding the camera where I can actually see the display is not very comfortable. OTOH, using the camera with a viewfinder defeats its main design points and makes it very clumsy to operate. It appears that the T has been designed with people in mind who can see.

This is one of the more important reasons for me for not buying the T. I use progressive glasses and holding the camera where I can actually see the display is not very comfortable. OTOH, using the camera with a viewfinder defeats its main design points and makes it very clumsy to operate. It appears that the T has been designed with people in mind who can see.

Apart from the EVF delay (which I am sure will be solved in future firmware updates in a variety of ways, one of which is permanently on) the camera can be used successfully with the EVF. I was merely referring to an alternative way of gaining focus.

I think the EVF on the top is ergonomic and quite cool in an industrial design type of way.

I remember having lots of discussions on the RX1 EVF which I repeatedly argued is a very good feature as taking it off optimises the size, having it on gives a great tilt-able EVF (tilt-able not possible with fixed EVFs up until now).

Buts it's not everyone's taste. I also like the fixed details of my E-M1 and M9.

Edited by colonel

Best Rgds

I agree. I was very pleasantly surprised when I found that it also works on my iPhone, using the remote App.

Cheers

John