Survey: Would you buy the new Leica T?

Would you buy the new Leica T?  

649 members have voted

1. 1. Would you buy the new Leica T?

• Perfect camera for me, where can I buy?
    • Would like one but too expensive.
    • Let's wait and see how good the quality is.
    • No, I don't like design and touch display.
    • No, other cameras have better specs for less money
    • I am not interested in the Leica T.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

High quality A3+ exhibition prints can be produced from M4/3 images … so from APS format the same size exhibition prints are a breeze. Many thousands of exhibition prints continue to be produced from APS format DSLRs and APS mirrorless cameras.

Many exhibition print workers use APS format cameras - and the smaller 4/3 and M4/3 format.

The 'T' is just one of many APS format cameras. Leica X series are all APS format.

In all seriousness, APS is a serious image format incorporated into serious cameras and is capable of serious image quality … especially when used by serious exhibition print workers ;)

Visit some of the London print exhibitions and see the wealth of high quality images made using APS cameras.

dunk

Any camera can be used for any project and of course any camera can be used to make a photograph that can be exhibited, and they are - but who would consciously, starting from scratch and when the intention was to make exhibition prints would go out and buy a small format [sensor] camera specifically to use for those exhibition prints - I don't think many - seriously.

The APS-C sensor is much bigger than a mobile phone sensor but it is still small in absolute terms, and I believe that a professional would always use as large a format as is suitable, convenient and available when specifically making exhibition prints.

• Like 1

Any camera can be used for any project and of course any camera can be used to make a photograph that can be exhibited, and they are - but who would consciously, starting from scratch and when the intention was to make exhibition prints would go out and buy a small format [sensor] camera specifically to use for those exhibition prints - I don't think many - seriously.

The APS-C sensor is much bigger than a mobile phone sensor but it is still small in absolute terms, and I believe that a professional would always use as large a format as is suitable, convenient and available when specifically making exhibition prints.

When asked what the best camera is, Ansel Adams responded "The biggest one you're willing to carry".

• Like 4

Most exhibition prints are produced by non-professionals - thousands of non-professionals from approx. 100 countries competing and enjoying using their skills on the international exhibition circuit - and most of them use APS format cameras.

INTERNATIONAL FEDERATION OF PHOTOGRAPHIC ART (FIAP)

http://www.psa-photo.org/index.php?about-psa-overview

Most of the participants probably cannot afford to buy FF digital cameras.

Fact is, APS format cameras are more than capable of producing serious work i.e large exhibition prints. They are not 'diddy' cameras to be dismissed by those who seem to associate exhibition photography mainly with LF and MF film cameras. Nowadays, APS format digital cameras are the preferred tool of the majority of exhibition entrants.

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 2

I don't think I will buy a T as I am irked by how much my X Vario has depreciated, particularly with the arrival of the T. I would probably be doing well to fund the T camera body from selling the X Vario, and then there would be the additional cost of the lens and EVF on top.

I put a down payment on one with a M adapter at the unveiling at Montreal Camtec Photo. It arrived last Thursday. It is my wife's new camera and she is loving it. We have a 21 Zeiss f2.8, 35 f2, 50 f2 Leicas, 50 f1.5 Zeiss & a 90 f2.8. All the Leicas got a work out. Bit of a learning curve so nothing to post just yet. Chimping and manual focus is tricky but she is getting pretty good.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Just did. T body, M-adapter, Visoflex. I have the Monochrom, but need color now&then. Instead of adding the M which I am not quite ready for, or buying a used M9, I wanted to try M lenses on the T. Bought the Visoflex for 2 reasons: Need diopter, and for stability (better to hold the camera up to your face than in front of you). Looking forward to try it out.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping for something looking like an X or XVario but with interchangeable lenses.I just don't like the design. Leica meets the iPhone? As someone who doesn't like iPhones the camera doesn't appeal anyway.

I was hoping to upgrade my current X1 but will hang on to it for a while and see if an X3 or new version of XVario.

John

No way. A Leica should look like a Leica. As I said in a posting in another section, this looks like a Silver Brick! For the older members who remember, the Argus C3 was called "The Brick" back in the 1950's. It was a very good 35mm film camera, but looked like a black brick.

I have a bunch of Leicas, such as the 3B, 3C, 3G, M3, M4, and M9-P. All are beautiful works of art. The T body looks like it was designed by an elementary school student. It may be feature-laden, but where is the heart of excellent photographs, the wonderful Leica lenses! Will the T have 3rd-party lenses from elsewhere?

Alan

• Like 1

Hmmm... I love the design of the classic M cameras and at the same time I love the modern design of the T.

If you have both cameras (I have the M 240 and the T), you would come to another conclusion in terms of which camera is a "brick" (at least in terms of weight) :D

• Like 1

I think I would love the camera w/ 2 lenses and EVF, but not for $7,000.00 plus tax. I would be much more enticed if the zoom lens was a 2.0-2.5 like the digilux2, but a 3.5-5.6 is not exciting at all. I have a 240 and d lux 5.

I think I would love the camera w/ 2 lenses and EVF, but not for $7,000.00 plus tax. I would be much more enticed if the zoom lens was a 2.0-2.5 like the digilux2, but a 3.5-5.6 is not exciting at all. I have a 240 and d lux 5.

An f2-2.5 zoom on an APS-C format compact system camera is not a practical proposition - would be far too large and unwieldy. 'APS-C format' and the very much smaller '2/3" format' cameras have totally different lens design criteria. 'Excitement' with such a lens (if possible) would soon give way to misery.

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough
  • Like 2

oh, I dunno.

The M camera system is supposed to be about compact everything (according to some) - I'm very miserable with my Noctilux, 75 Summilux, AA 90 Summicron, 21 Summilux ...

I agree that the Leica T is largely about compact convenience, but I'm sure Leica could produce a faster zoom in T mount without going over-board. They did manage to make the "impossible" 28 Summilux ...

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

I wish Leica didn't pussy foot around with crop sensors and just stick a 36 mp sensor in the camera and be done with it..............

• Like 1

I wish Leica didn't pussy foot around with crop sensors and just stick a 36 mp sensor in the camera and be done with it..............

I can just see it....A T-like camera, the size of a D800e (granted- minus the viewfiinder) with the attendant battleship sized lenses, at 12.500 $$ for the body alone.....:D:D You would probably be the only person on the planet to buy it.....:eek:

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
I can just see it....A T-like camera, the size of a D800e (granted- minus the viewfiinder) with the attendant battleship sized lenses, at 12.500 $$ for the body alone.....:D:D You would probably be the only person on the planet to buy it.....:eek:

Sony did it and if I remember correctly you could drop 10 k off your guessamut for the cost

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
But I would have a Sony- :( The T is for a different target customer base.

Why........I have the Sony a7r and it is pretty much the same size at the T. I am not knocking Leica I am just saying that Leica should have put a full frame sensor in the T and then they would have had something to shout about

• Like 2

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
Sorry - I have handled it. Undoubtedly a good camera, but not the thing I would bond with.
You mean T or Sony.........in your previous thread you mentioned you would have a sony:confused: