Leica T (Type 701): List of Reviews and Videos

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Full list you with reviews, videos, hands on and pictures of the new Leica T (Type 240),

Reviews

• David Farkas from Red Dot Forum published a comprehensive LEICA T review, even including a demonstration of the App. (Update 4-29-2014)
  • Camera West could also take a closer look on the camera. In addition you can pre-order the LEICA T in their online shop. (Update 4-29-2014)
  • Jonathan Slack: Forum member Jono had the opportunity to test the new camera as well. He shares his thoughts in this interesting review – Testing Taifun . . . The new Leica T
  • Leica Camera offers a lot interesting information around the new camera and comes up with a new website design and content.
  • Ming Thein was allowed to test the LEICA T as one of the first user and describes his experience in this interesting review.
  • Steve Huff: As usual Steve has created a complete review about the new camera with great images and a 34 min. video review.
  • The Photoblographer also contributes a first impression article on the LEICA T.
  • The Luminous Landscape shared a review, too.
  • Kristian Dowling published a complexe and informative review with information about the camera, practical use and facts about the accessories
  • Reviewed.com shared a complex test of the Taifun.
  • ePHOTOzine offers a number of product images and a short hands-on about the LEICA T (Type 701).
  • dpreview was allowed to check the camera and shared a short article.
  • photography blog: Mark Goldstein shows some sample images.
  • TechRadar presents a short review of the LEICA T (Type 701).

Videos

_IyURUkQE84

T9xV90KxlLM

tKFmLqOaZIc

8vF9itWND9c

• Like 6

• 3 weeks later...
Review published today by New York tech reviewer David Pogue; compares the Leica T and the Sony A6000.

https://www.yahoo.com/tech/tiny-new-cameras-with-big-sensors-the-leica-t-vs-85764760379.html

Thank you for posting the review... :)

To those who read the review - make sure to check out the pics (from both cameras) on the author's Flickr site. Great pics from both cameras but I have to say, IMHO, the pics from the Leica T provoked more than one "wow" moment while I found those from the Sony, although very well executed, a bit ordinary-looking, at least to my eyes, for this particular set.

Also, from what the author states, the Leica T had a few problems with the autofocus, which will hopefully be cleared up before release. Have any of the other testers run into this problem? I'm bummed the author didn't just zone focus, because the shots looked interesting - especially the kite surfers. I would have liked to see the detail the Leica could have pulled from that pic.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Guest badbob
Hi all, I've had a T for a couple of weeks on a loan basis from Leica and took it on a recent trip. Here's my review and findings...

satureyes photography | Gear : Leica T (TYP 701)

It's a good informative review, but I don't agree it's expensive. You need to compare with the least expensive interchangeable-lens Leica camera which costs several times as much (or twice as much at least), not with the cameras from Nikon/Sony/Fuji etc., because Leica doesn't compete with those. There's an illusion that they compete on some basis, such as features, but the hand-made aspect of Leica's builds rules that out as competition where price is a consideration.

• Like 1

Guest badbob
Here is another review from the Verge Not very positive. I disagree with him on IQ.

This review proposes (as do many others ad nauseam) that only the wealthy can afford or justify the expense of a Leica camera. That kind of argument borders on Marxist thinking I believe. They make a very plausible argument that "anything you can get with a Leica T you can get from someone else for much cheaper" - quote approximate.

The problem is, it's plausible (ignoring aesthetics), but not provable.

• Like 1

Guest badbob

This review seems very out-of-date. The T and the 18-56 can be had for $3600, while I see scary prices up to $6200 in this review. The performance issues and glitches they describe I don't experience, except of course the "slow" performance, which BTW isn't as slow as my Monochrom camera. I seem to remember that the LaVida Leica guy was also a mod at DPReview at one time (if not now), and DPReview has been generally negative on the T.

Yes I agree.

I didn't find the T as unusable as some reviews seem to suggest. Most of the subjects I take pictures of are static anyway, so the "slowness" probably affect me less then other people. I did find sometimes the LCD becomes not responsive to touch and I have to turn off and on again the camera to fix it, but that happened to me on rare occasions and I think is one of the issues that can be fixed in firmware.

It seems to me that DPreview is generally negative on the Leicas. :-)

Guest badbob
>>It seems to me that DPreview is generally negative on the Leicas. :-)<< I often get the same feeling. - Vikas

Up until a year or so ago, the Leica forum at DPR was very active, but today it's almost dead. The negative "reviews" and a kind of patrolling by negative members has scared off most participation.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nice review, but I find the variety in colour balance and PP in most of the images disconcerting - too much red, and inconsistent desaturation. I don't think these are JPegs out of the camera, so it is a case of inconsistent post processing.

The later images, where there is real colour against neutral backgrounds are far stronger, and give a nice idea of what the camera is capable of.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...