Sign in to follow this  
miatadan

blurred background using T lenses?

My understanding is that there is 2 ways to achieve blurred background ( portrait ) is fast aperture f/2, f/1.4 or longer focal lengths being used such as 75mm.

Is the 23mm f/2 T lens good enough for this or do we have too wait for longer focal length prime lenses for this?

Dan

Overall, you're on track. Get close and create physical separation between subject and fore/background is your best approach. I'm not sure if this provides you a frame of reference, but you should perceive a depth of field for the Leica T prime to approximate a 35mm lens at around f/2.8.

The quality of the OOF rendering, and transitional zones are important to how you perceive "blur" - but the below will give you an idea of what 35mm f/2.8 looks like at intermediate distances.

If there is a closer subject and more distant background, this of course would be intensified. (Sorry, didn't have any Leica shots handy).

The third (and best) way is to move in closer.

My understanding is that there is 2 ways to achieve blurred background ( portrait ) is fast aperture f/2, f/1.4 or longer focal lengths being used such as 75mm.

Is the 23mm f/2 T lens good enough for this or do we have too wait for longer focal length prime lenses for this?

Dan

23/2 should be good enough but also might not, it's like a 35/2 in 35mm world. You get close enough, as said by jaap, you get some bokeh. You stay farther and it decreases.

If you happen to have one you can recycle a fast M/LTM lens for that purpose, say any 50/-1.4/1.5 should be already enough (the equivalent of a 75/1.4-1.5).

Cheers,

Bruno

23/2 should be good enough but also might not, it's like a 35/2 in 35mm world. You get close enough, as said by jaap, you get some bokeh. You stay farther and it decreases.

If you happen to have one you can recycle a fast M/LTM lens for that purpose, say any 50/-1.4/1.5 should be already enough (the equivalent of a 75/1.4-1.5).

Cheers,

Bruno

It's like a 35/2 in light gathering ability but like a 35/2.8 in background blur ability.

Background blur can easily be done with a 23mm f2 on an APS-C sensor

I know i have pics demonstrating it from my X100, but it will take me a while to dig up - a look on flickr will demonstrate too.

To minimise depth of field, either get closer, get the background further away or shoot a wider aperture, or longer focal length lens.

If you can get nice and close, and have the background a few metres back, you can get nice blur.

heres an example, my cat, Lector - shot with my X100 (23mm f2 like the T lens) shot at 1/8th sec f2 iso640 (its not a great pic, but the first one i found that works as a demo)

he is maybe 50cm from the lens, and the TV is around 2-2.5m behind him, you can see the sharpness falloff in the couch and tiles too, the tiles are 30cm square

the T lens may have different characteristics on the way it renders the background, but it will be able to blur the background.

Edited by Echo63
added photo