With the T where fits the X?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And I gree with the poster above who noted that unlike Sony or Nikon, etc, Leica can't really afford to have too many brands.

Leica disagrees. And I rather see them extending their lineup.

an avenue down which many firms go and most end up bringing in a management consultant to tell them to narrow their offering to what they do best. seen it in every industry since i began working in 1977. i do not believe leica maximizes its earnings with cameras at so many different price levels where distinctive differences aren't readily apparent. coke zero is driving diet coke out of the market, not what coke was originally thinking. we can take this up in a couple of years. :-)

T is for those who want a APS-C sized sensor system camera from Leica. The X-cameras are for those who want an equally good IQ using a Leica compact camera - for less money. The X2, X Vario and the T all got the same sensor - and they all have proper Leica glass. The X cameras do have a more old-school approach in terms of hardware design which I do like, with dials for aperture/shutter speed... I'm not a big fan of touch screens on cameras.

I got the X1 and I'm super happy with it. It delivers sweet IQ in a small package. With the viewfinder its the perfect street photography camera.

Edited by JorgenD
  • Like 3

It might make sense for Leica to produce two lines:

-- an M camera and an X camera for those who value the traditional camera design with manual controls. Lots of other manufacturers like Fuji and now also Nikon have picked up on that so there is obviously demand.

-- a T camera for those who want the latest computer-like touchscreen interface.

Lenses to be compatible with both body types.

Market demand will determine success.

It's in Leica's best interests to leverage as many demography as possible with brand - engineering, quality, status and desirability, to grow revenues and profits. Their lines will not stop at two.

They are on this path with:

• S - Medium format camera for professional photographers.
  • M - Fully manual rangefinder with some electronics, with a B&W option, meant for aficionados who seek tradition.
  • T - Fully electronic with some manual options and the ability to use M and R lenses, meant for prosumers.
  • X - All in one camera for those who don't wish to swap out lenses and eschew bags.

• Compacts - For consumers who want conventional and simple point-and-shoots but with the Leica brand.

This direction is coupled with a desire to up-sell accessories and add-ons. Leica's strength is their lenses more that their cameras and with the T, they open up new customer segments, to their lenses. Customers will in all probability not stop at buying a T. They with buy lenses and adorn their cameras with cases, straps etc. Leica will also appeal to niche sub-segments with limited edition Ts. The all metal one-piece body will lend itself well to engraving by renowned artists.

• Like 2

With the introduction of the T, I don't quite understand why Leica continues with the X? Yes it has a different look, but what distinguishes it to make is a choice over the T? It would seem to me that the T marks the end of the X.

The x-vario is significantly cheaper then the T,

In addition it has:

1. Dials not a touch screen

2. Silent shutter (the T does not)

3. More substantial build (for those that like the grip)

4. Cheaper EVF

5. Textured non-metal coating

6. Close focus distance of the zoom

Etc etc

They are just different. The T is fantastic, but those interested in a mid range zoom option only would do well to consider the excellent XV.

The X2, and coming X3 will be a more compact, bright and better value option for those that want to work with the fixed length.

Choice is good ....

Edited by colonel

Advertisement (gone after registration)

an avenue down which many firms go and most end up bringing in a management consultant to tell them to narrow their offering to what they do best. seen it in every industry since i began working in 1977. i do not believe leica maximizes its earnings with cameras at so many different price levels where distinctive differences aren't readily apparent. coke zero is driving diet coke out of the market, not what coke was originally thinking. we can take this up in a couple of years. :-)

Coke zero has more artificial sweetener. I like the more laid back and less chemical (slightly) taste of diet coke.

The coke zero packaging has also been more funky and subject to more promotions. Coke need to ramp up the diet coke packaging.

It's in Leica's best interests to leverage as many demography as possible with brand - engineering, quality, status and desirability, to grow revenues and profits. Their lines will not stop at two.

They are on this path with:

• S - Medium format camera for professional photographers.
  • M - Fully manual rangefinder with some electronics, with a B&W option, meant for aficionados who seek tradition.
  • T - Fully electronic with some manual options and the ability to use M and R lenses, meant for prosumers.
  • X - All in one camera for those who don't wish to swap out lenses and eschew bags.

• Compacts - For consumers who want conventional and simple point-and-shoots but with the Leica brand.

This direction is coupled with a desire to up-sell accessories and add-ons. Leica's strength is their lenses more that their cameras and with the T, they open up new customer segments, to their lenses. Customers will in all probability not stop at buying a T. They with buy lenses and adorn their cameras with cases, straps etc. Leica will also appeal to niche sub-segments with limited edition Ts. The all metal one-piece body will lend itself well to engraving by renowned artists.

Plus the MP for film lovers…

• Like 1