With the T where fits the X?

I suppose yes and no. If a single "35mm" lens is all you want, the new T will cost you twice that of an X2.

Incidentally, although the new T, with it's smooth edges and glass back, has a beguiling quality that transcends its merits as a photographic tool, I find that I am far more interested in the 23mm Summicron lens. I suspect that it is rather good.

• Like 1

The X series will happily coexist with the T system. Both Fuji and Sony have compact and system cameras sharing the same sensor size, and so will Leica.

• Like 2

I suppose yes and no. If a single "35mm" lens is all you want, the new T will cost you twice that of an X2.

Incidentally, although the new T, with it's smooth edges and glass back, has a beguiling quality that transcends its merits as a photographic tool, I find that I am far more interested in the 23mm Summicron lens. I suspect that it is rather good.

Same for the T zoom. If you don't want a "system" but only this zoom, the X Vario will cost you half price.

based on that argument, and you could very well be right, the X is the lower cost fixed-lens option to move into Leica photography? The X lens is an M lens fixed on the camera or is it really the T lens previously unmarked as such?

• Like 1

The operation and shooting experience appears rather different, and one could only imagine each having its fans.

I have my suspicions that few M users will want to compare results from the new T Summicron with even the current 35 Cron M ASPH... Particularly if field uniformity and wide-open resolution/contrast are of particular interest.

The new lenses are 'no M lenses' ... But we shall see how much this is actually a bad thing

I think that it should, but I can't see it happening. The vario is too new to be cut. I posted a poll to a similar effect on RFF, it is an interesting time.

The X series will happily coexist with the T system. Both Fuji and Sony have compact and system cameras sharing the same sensor size, and so will Leica.

They do and this is an interesting point. However, they are huge companies compared to Leica, and especially Sony seems to have a machine gun style of releasing cameras. I might add that neither of these companies have very (if at all) profitable camera arms, which Leica cannot afford.

Same for the T zoom. If you don't want a "system" but only this zoom, the X Vario will cost you half price.

Not really, its only about $1000 cheaper. The difference will effectively disappear if a new X-Vario was released, or once T shipments stabilise. Wasn't the Vario closer to $4k on release?

If a single "35mm" lens is all you want, the new T will cost you twice that of an X2

Is that why its called the x2!?

Michael

I prefer the X philosophy which is closer to the M in terms of design. But judging from initial response the T already seems to have won more fans than the XV on release. Perhaps that's down to marketing.

As to the future of all models, it surely depends on how well each model sells. Ask again in a year's time!

Only costs will be the decisive factor for X or T. With T you can build it slowly and even upgrade the body with a better one. With X you have a cheaper alternative with none of the upgrade options. As a cheaper alternative X has a reason of being

• Like 1

Perhaps the new X3 could be a unibody with a fixed prime lens ? Same sensor already and I'm sure it would sell. I know it would be more expensive, but cost clearly isn't the prime consideration for a great many Leica buyers.

Let’s see … you want the design of the T and you are prepared to pay the higher price for a T – why don’t you just get a T and a prime lens? The X line needs to be sufficiently different from the T system to be viable.

Were the X series camera's selling much these last months? I can hardly imagine them selling much anymore anyway, and thus would consider the T to be the final nail in the coffin. But I could be wrong, since I have no idea how much they are selling.

Obviously Leica won't say it's the end of the X line until they sell most of their stock and will only announce its demise at the last possible moment. So Leica saying the X will coexist next to the T means nothing more than that they will still sell the X models for as long as they have stock and at least for another month or so. They might as well let the X exist for another year, or forever, but we can not make that up from what Leica is saying about the line right now.

I agree ..... Looking back I think the X was a stopgap or perhaps a bridge to the T. Seems like M and T are two systems that can co-exist in the the Leica stable. And I gree with the poster above who noted that unlike Sony or Nikon, etc, Leica can't really afford to have too many brands. Even GM eventually realized that and narrowed down its offerings bygetting rid of Pontiac and Oldsmobile. And if you think about it, Apple really sells one product outfitted in different boxes with slightly different offering -- nano to ipod to iphone to ipad to air.