Sign in to follow this  
StephenPatterson

No focus peaking???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Was the thread about Focus peaking?

I was a complete evangelist, but two things have happened over the last couple of years.

1. I've found it wasn't quite as accurate as I thought

2 I've found that using an EVF/LCD as a ground glass screen actually works well

(But like using a rangefinder you do have to practice a bit)

So these days I don't use any kind of focus assist unless (very rarely) I use a tripod. I just use the EVF full screen (and that goes for the Noctilux on the T)

All the best

Jono, thanks for the answer.

However, (In a lighthearted manner … because in the scheme of things, this is all just a tempest in a teapot that has raged on for 8+ pages)

Will the current "evangelizing" also do a flip-flop in the next few years? Months? Days? : -)

Honestly, this all feels like a mighty collective voice in defense of mediocrity, an attribute I personally do not subscribe to Leica, nor many of its' users.

While you and I have our disagreements regarding the M240, it is about differing image tastes and preferences, not mediocrity.

There is nothing mediocre about the M Monochrome, M240 or Leica S2/S.

While I fully understand Leica's need to expand its' universe, this new camera confuses me. Is it Minimalist, or over thrifted of features expected from such a camera … especially by the "apparent" target audience?

The very question originally asked … "No focus peaking?" … is telling in that regard. Doesn't matter what you think of that feature years later, others still find it of aid. I would probably also find it useful given there is no viewfinder, and one is working with an LCD. (BTW, adding a EVF is hardly "Minimalist").

If Minimalism was the objective, focus aids and IBIS would have made the "experience" minimalist … as in "easier to use" … not requiring the "practice" you allude to, (which is more than just time with this camera, but a collective experience you've gained with a number of cameras). I seriously doubt those outside of the fiercely Leica faithful, will spend the time required to reach your skill level with such a camera.

Anyway, I'm sure those who buy one will enjoy it, and those like me will enjoy not buying one : -)

- Marc

Bollocks. You've not done that at any stage!

Look, it is what it is. The trick is to work out what it's strengths are. Many of us here have been hugely interested in the "gap filler". It has arrived.

The question now is - will it fill our needs? I'm curious enough to give it a try. It lacks some things I want, and has other things that are interesting. I generally trust the concept and Leica's interpretation of it - enough to give it a try.

I've sampled two Sony cameras and not gelled with either. What I haven't done is crow the benefits or damn the failings of this camera until I've tried it (as I have the A7r and the NEX5-n).

Conversely, you've damned the T camera from the start, and every opportunity, on every thread. I'm sure you don't intend it, but you're being a drag. Have you held it or tried it?

Spend a bit more time with your new girlfriend and hold off posting on this till you've tried the camera on its own merits.

Cheers

John

I am not commenting on the camera. I am asking what you are looking for and how you picture this camera filling that role. Do you wish to articulate that or not? I don't know why you should care that I be enthusiastic about it. But I do want to know why others find it so appealing.I am curious like that.

Edited by AlanG

Dear Forum,

I bought a T two weeks ago, using my money, from a shop.

I go out most days and take pictures with it.

I post some of them on the T shots thread here.

I like it.

Where am I going wrong?

in many areas

I hope you realize that you are not supposed to take pictures, just argue about features for 3 months before you sell it on ebay

On the other hand, the photo sub-forum here is quite enjoyable

best rgds

Dear Forum,

I like it.

Where am I going wrong?

no nothing wrong, enjoy of taking photos, like that guy there (he apparently locked to desk at the end)

Edited by jaapv

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am not commenting on the camera. I am asking what you are looking for and how you picture this camera filling that role. Do you wish to articulate that or not? I don't know why you should care that I be enthusiastic about it. But I do want to know why others find it so appealing.I am curious like that.

I've seen many posts of that kind, including my own. Maybe you are concentrating on the wrong threads?

Nobody is saying a camera that lacks specific features is a bad camera.

You left out the important part. I clearly said that I wouldn't call it a bad camera, or a bad value, without trying it. And you just as clearly assessed it as a bad value (for everyone) since it lacks the features you want.

I believe that one must use a camera before being able to assess its merits and value/worth. This is up to the individual. You seem to think that your four features should be a given. Ten other people will each pick four other features. And even with all their preferences, nobody will really know anything until they try it.

You are entitled to your preferences, as are each of us. What you're not entitled to is forcing your preferences, or value judgments, on anyone else. Do you really not get the distinction?

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S

Honestly, this all feels like a mighty collective voice in defense of mediocrity

those like me will enjoy not buying one : -)

- Marc

no..... it's a defence of citicising something 99% of people have never used and are making comments about on the basis of on paper specifications...... and assumptions about missing 'features' without any idea of whether this camera actually needs them or not.

Mediocrity.........somethimg tha never is finds acceptance here despite that it has crept into the design and production of leica cameras ".........

You left out the important part. I clearly said that I wouldn't call it a bad camera, or a bad value, without trying it. And you just as clearly assessed it as a bad value (for everyone) since it lacks the features you want.

I believe that one must use a camera before being able to assess its merits and value/worth. This is up to the individual. You seem to think that your four features should be a given. Ten other people will each pick four other features. And even with all their preferences, nobody will really know anything until they try it.

You are entitled to your preferences, as are each of us. What you're not entitled to is forcing your preferences, or value judgments, on anyone else. Do you really not get the distinction?

Jeff

Feel free not to read my posts.

or in an other form mediocrity is taking a person's statement and only posting parts that suit to serve the argument of another

eg

no..... it's citicising 99% of people without any idea

no nothing wrong, enjoy of taking photos, like that guy there (he apparently locked to desk at the end)

Why are you embedding a photo of me from my website? I've been posting mostly on location from cell phone. Hence the typos.

Edited by AlanG

Thanks for the tip. This site respects copyright

Edited by jaapv

Dear Forum,

I like it.

Where am I going wrong?

Thanks. Would you recommend this camera to your friends? If so, what levels of interest in photography do they have?

no..... it's a defence of citicising something 99% of people have never used and are making comments about on the basis of on paper specifications...... and assumptions about missing 'features' without any idea of whether this camera actually needs them or not.

Are you implying some are wrong in the assumption that we will miss those features when in reality we should not? Do these paper specifications not truly represent what is in the camera? Are you saying the overall shooting experience will be so good and that alone is enough to overcome any concerns regarding features?

Let me give you a different view... if you ask most photographers what they'd like to see in a $4200 camera (body, zoom, evf) what do you think that would be?

I don't think it would be this camera so it obviously is aimed at a smaller market.

Edited by AlanG

Why are you embedding a photo of me from my website? I've been posting mostly on location from cell phone. Hence the typos.

I dont care about typos, i dont neither care that it came from cell phone.

All those complexes from you.. Put aside them, I thought the photo might make you happy, it reminded me when you enjoyed to take photos. Now I see only that you got encapsulated by bureaucratic mind and worry about features, even spend many hours on desk for something that you wont gonna have. Im just perplexed and of course you were worried about copyright despite typos and cell phone.

I hope you now start to enjoy of taking photos unlike recent years, who knows

I liked photos in essay section but they seemed old.

I dont care about typos, i dont neither care that it came from cell phone.

All those complexes from you.. Put aside them, I thought the photo might make you happy, it reminded me when you enjoyed to take photos. Now I see only that you got encapsulated by bureaucratic mind and worry about features, even spend many hours on desk for something that you wont gonna have. Im just perplexed and of course you were worried about copyright despite typos and cell phone.

I hope you now start to enjoy of taking photos unlike recent years, who knows

I liked photos in essay section but they seemed old.

I am very happy so don't worry. Why do you care what I do with my time? I have plenty of photography work and have taken 5 vacations so far this year. My goal in recent years is to work much less than I used to.

My website photos are very very dated. Some of those essays I did when I was a teenager. All recent work goes to the Photoshelter site which has promotional galleries and many client projects posted in case you care to look. Warning: there are 17,000 images posted.

Alan Goldstein Photoshelter Galleries

Back to the camera, if you worked in a camera store, who would you recommend buy the T and why?

BTW in response to those who said you have to use a camera to know it, I certainly never used most of the cameras that I sold when I worked in a camera shop.

Edited by AlanG