Sign in to follow this  
StephenPatterson

No focus peaking???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is the unfortunate fact of an internet discussion - your statements remain online long after you have left.

I stand by my "characterisation" as it is an accurate repetition of what Alan has said on more than one occasion. Unless, he has actually tried the camera, in which case I apologise for the assumption on my part.

I'm not sure that potential T camera buyers are really that interested in what are described as "limitations". My M9 actually has greater limitations (the only settings are aperture, shutter, ISO and white balance, and it's manual focus), yet it takes great photos.

I make these comments for general interest, not in any attempt to lure Alan back into the discussion.

Cheers

John

PS - Alan edited his post after my response. My interest is in ease of use and image quality - not features. There are plenty of lenses available (all the M lenses), I don't use flash ... I could go on because you are identifying things that the camera is not. I am much more interested in things it is supposed to do, but does not do well - image quality. I have no idea why anyone would buy this camera for things it plainly doesn't do, or criticises it for something it isn't.

Edited by IkarusJohn

Please leave me out of this discussion as I have dropped out and I don't appreciate having my statements characterized this way. Specifically any camera can take good photos and thus works as a photographic tool.

Dropped out?

Yet you continue to comment.

Hmm.

The T is certainly much more limited as a photographic tool than numerous other camera systems in all sorts of ways. There is nothing debatable about that fact... only to the extent it will matter to each user. E.g. there are only 2 AF lenses for it now. You don't have to use the camera to understand how that will be a limitation. Nor do you have to use it to know you can't use the EVF and a flash at the same time. Or you can't plug a monitor into it.

Limitations are more about the hands holding the tool.

eg. Any basic Leica M. (very limited tool) which still seem to produce excellent images in skilled hands.

Maybe the real limitations are imbued in the inability to choose the right tool for the task, and understanding the match required between tool and task.

Of course you don't want me to go on enumerating these things because I am just repeating myself ad nauseum. So why keep making the same points if you understand the validity of the arguments against them?

ad nauseum does require counter balancing, or an emetic.

OK just skip over all facts I stated and conclude how anything missing does not really limit the camera's versatility in any way. Everything can can be overcome by a good photographer. Sure.

OK I'll step out again. All I'm asking is please leave references to my name out of your posts and discussions. Is that so hard?

I'm happy to let my statements stand and be accepted or rejected on their own merits.

Edited by AlanG

OK just skip over all facts I stated and conclude how anything missing does not really limit the camera's versatility in any way. Everything can can be overcome by a good photographer. Sure.

I'm not sure anyone has said anything that silly.

I'm not sure anyone has said anything that silly.

So why don't you and others explain what you see as the limitations? Maybe this will help those who are on the fence about purchasing it. Otherwise, maybe some would buy this camera without knowing what it can't do.

Of course if you don't use external flash you won't care that you can't do that with the EVF installed. But surely you can see how this and other things may impose usability limitations for others.

Please just leave my name out of this and be happy with your new T.

Edited by AlanG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dropped out?

Yet you continue to comment.

Hmm.

As moderator, please strike out references to my name made after I stated I would no longer participate and thus be able to defend my statements.

Edited by AlanG

As moderator, please strike out references to my name made after I stated I would no longer participate and thus be able to defend my statements.
As long as you are posting in this thread you will continue to be subjected to the same scrutiny and criticism of all posters, as are we all.

As long as you are posting in this thread you will continue to be subjected to the same scrutiny and criticism of all posters, as are we all.

As moderator, please strike out references to my name made after I stated I would no longer participate and thus be able to defend my statements. I refuse to be a subject of scrutiny but have no issues with my posts being scrutinized on their merits. I only posted when I felt my name was being used to characterize a position I never held. It was necessary for me to correct this. That specific post was not about anything I wrote but was about me. How is that appropriate?

Does this count as a post?

Edited by AlanG

IMHO, it does. You could have sent a PM.

As moderator, please strike out references to my name made after I stated I would no longer participate and thus be able to defend my statements. I refuse to be a subject of scrutiny but have no issues with my posts being scrutinized on their merits. I only posted when I felt my name was being used to characterize a position I never held. It was necessary for me to correct this.

I have referred your protestation to other mods and admin as I have become involved in the point.

To answer your last question: If I am reading it here, it IS a post.

IMHO, it does. You could have sent a PM.

I wanted the other posters to know how I feel hoping they would not bring up my name. It contained no comment on the T. If someone states he does not wish to participate in a thread anymore do you really see any point in speaking about that person and putting words in his mouth? It pretty much forces me to post again to correct them.

I look forward to seeing how this forum discusses the pluses and minuses of this camera without my input.

Edited by AlanG

I wanted the other posters to know how I feel hoping they would not bring up my name. It contained no comment on the T. If someone states he does not wish to participate in a thread anymore do you really see any point in speaking about that person and putting words in his mouth? It pretty much forces me to post again to correct them.

I look forward to seeing how this forum discusses the pluses and minuses of this camera without my input.

Hi Alan

Now you've made your point, publicly, you could just go private from now on. I'm sure we'll all start talking about something else very soon.

All the best

Hi Alan

Now you've made your point, publicly, you could just go private from now on. I'm sure we'll all start talking about something else very soon.

All the best

I'm sure that's true.

.... I hope all the buyers are happy with it. Got a new girlfriend now and will be busy.

AlanG, it's better for your own equilibrium to accept that photography and photographic equipment is all things to all camera-owners and even gearheads have their place. After all, they keep the likes of Sony, Leica and their distributors in business and all associated people in jobs as well as auction sites and winning bidders gleeful.

Don't like the T? Don't worry, your life is unlikely to be blighted by it unless a gearhead hits you with one. Personally, on my monitor, I think it's a great-looking camera, but let's try one before forming immovable opinions, eh?

Now, assuming your new girlfriend hasn't stumbled across this forum and legged it, I hope you both find eternal happiness.

Was the thread about Focus peaking?

I was a complete evangelist, but two things have happened over the last couple of years.

1. I've found it wasn't quite as accurate as I thought

2 I've found that using an EVF/LCD as a ground glass screen actually works well

(But like using a rangefinder you do have to practice a bit)

So these days I don't use any kind of focus assist unless (very rarely) I use a tripod. I just use the EVF full screen (and that goes for the Noctilux on the T)

All the best

Was the thread about Focus peaking?

...and that goes for the Noctilux on the T)

All the best

Yikes... post a few pics, please...

To the sticky thread for T pics. Would love to see some Noctilux pics taken with the T.

Yikes... post a few pics, please...

To the sticky thread for T pics. Would love to see some Noctilux pics taken with the T.

Hi Michael. Not today, but I'll do my best. It's particularly good using an OUFRO