Sign in to follow this  
StephenPatterson

No focus peaking???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Do we buy our cameras to take photos or to show off? The eternal question.

Do I have "all the above" option?

Seriously, aesthetics matters for me for anything which is visible to others. I don't consider that show off. Of course I have my own decision engine (just like others) and nobody is allowed to question it.

Alan, I have checked all your recent posts you have made on this board. 90% of them are trying to somehow make the T look bad and you are also immediately present when a Sony camera somehow is criticized in a thread. I see a pattern there ;-)

You are taking part in every thread about the T and often you are not adding anything useful to the discussion and only repeating your arguments against the T.

And please STOP arguing about the price and the price/feature ratio of the Leica products. Stop it please!

I happily pay 70 EUR for a fine steak, but I would not pay the same money for caviar. Live and let live! Everyone has different priorities and "flavors".

Do you know why I will buy a T and pay the high price? Because I have checked one out in a shop and loved it immediately as I picked it up and handled it. I buy it purely for the joy of myself. I love the buying experience, reading & discussing on the board here and I love the feeling to take pictures with the camera I enjoyed to buy.

Maybe a USD 800 camera lens combination would do the same or even more. But it does not give ME the same JOY.

I like to feel the solid body of the M, I love to touch the well made T lenses, I love believing I'm buying a part of a famous historical german company which made cameras since the early beginnings.

It is GAS, it is like a drug... and a lot of us are addicted to buying the latest and greatest gear. And a lot of us "loose money" in buying and selling that stuff. But after all it is a hobby and for leisure...

BTW, My NEX-6 looks good with 50 Lux too !!

(BUT... I am hoping T will look even better).

Edited by jmahto

Do I have "all the above" option?

Seriously, aesthetics matters for me for anything which is visible to others. I don't consider that show off. Of course I have my own decision engine (just like others) and nobody is allowed to question it.

Absolutely... that is also my point.

I think more "positive vibes" would help the discussions here

GAS...now the truth comes out.

Thanks for the support. To clarify, I've posted on 4 threads. I've owned dozens of cameras and only one Sony. I said I only bought the Nex 6 because of the small lens. I definitely do not achieve the highest technical phographic standards by using it due to numerous compromises. It is useful to me and I think with it priced at $524 it could be the best current choice in this segment for those who are price conscious. There are many other choices. No other similar cameras cost anywhere close to a T.

The T certainly appeals to some for tactile and emotional reasons that you have eluded to. And that is the key to the marketing. If you can afford it and get sufficient pleasure from those attributes that is fine with me. But I am discussing its merrits as a photographic tool...nothing more.

Edited by AlanG

.....But I am discussing its merrits as a photographic tool...nothing more.

... but my NEX6+50lux picture is made to look good by my M9

which is a damn good photographic tool even if hard to justify by cost/benefit analysis. I guess same may be true for T or it won't sell (I don't believe anybody paying that much $$ will accept mediocre performance). Time will tell.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

GAS...now the truth comes out.

Oh come on... as so many people which buy a new camera absolutely need the new features to make better pictures... I think even a lot of professionals which make money as a photographer sometimes buy new gear because they want it and do not need it.

If that is not the case for you, you can be happy not to be affected by this addiction

The T certainly appeals to some for tactile and emotional reasons that you have eluded to. And that is the key to the marketing. If you can afford it and get sufficient pleasure from those attributes that is fine with me. But I am discussing its merrits as a photographic tool...nothing more.

Have I eluded to that reasons to buy the camera or to justify the purchase? Absolutely not, but they are the key differentiator for me to buy the T camera instead of a NEX.

And you have to be honest, that if we keep the price discussion aside, that the T camera and the lenses are well made products which will deliver a great output.

By the way, I also own a Sony A7R which for me is a great camera...

I just wanted to bring some honest and "down to earth" feedback on the whole discussion here and bringt it back to a level where it makes sense and we are not coming back to the same discussion of the price again and again.

But I see that some people are just like concrete walls...

I'm out of this discussion too. Too much "bad energy" and insulting around here (only rich non-skilled people will buy the T camera etc.)...

Edited by theboch

Gee, it seems you need to be a psychologist to post here. Cameras elicit more emotion than I thought.

Gee, it seems you need to be a psychologist to post here. Cameras elicit more emotion than I thought.

Insulting people as you have is what elicits emotions. I don't expect you to grok this.

There has been enough discussion on this thread about more features/less features in a camera and it can be argued ad nauseam but whatever its worth let me tell you one about one incidence....

A long long time ago (ok.. last year

) I was shooting a beautiful landscape with my friend who was using 5D III and I was using M9. His camera has two card slots and he had assigned one memory slot for raw and the other for preview jpegs. Soon his camera told him that the main memory slot is full. He *assumed* that the camera will start writing to the secondary slot which had lots of capacity left, but his camera didn't start writing raw pics on the other slot. After the shoot when we came back, he only had small sized preview jpegs for the shots after the main slot was full. The camera allowed him to continue shooting !!

I guess lesson is obvious. If your camera has more features then you better learn how to use it.(and note that my friend didn't *need* two memory slots).

Edited by jmahto

BTW, My NEX-6 looks good with 50 Lux too !!

(BUT... I am hoping T will look even better).

except for the black blob on top which is like putting a bull bar on a Porsche......

except for the black blob on top which is like putting a bull bar on a Porsche......

Hey...How do you dare to compare my NEX to Porsche !!

Insulting people as you have is what elicits emotions. I don't expect you to grok this.

If people are insulted by that then they really need help. One posted that GAS is like drug addiction. That seems to me to be a psychological issue that I can't explain as a photographer.

"I like to feel the solid body of the M, I love to touch the well made T lenses, I love believing I'm buying a part of a famous historical german company which made cameras since the early beginnings."

I truly hope that post is as sarcastic as it seems.

Edited by AlanG

If people are insulted by that then they really need help. One posted that GAS is like drug addiction. That seems to me to be a psychological issue that I can't explain as a photographer. "I like to feel the solid body of the M' date=' I love to touch the well made T lenses, I love believing I'm buying a part of a famous historical german company which made cameras since the early beginnings." I truly hope that post is as sarcastic as it seems.[/quote']

The comparison to drug addiction was of course not meant like that... everything was written with a big smile to ease the conversation, but surely holds a bit truth in it.

My description of the emotional decision points when buying a camera might be a little bit exagerated and I am no native english speaker.

But yet you continue to insult people - me for exapmle, as a person with psychic problems... Pardon?!

Please look over the last posts and decide by yourself who posted agressive and offensive words...

It is easy to call names on everybody who does not comply with your opinion or the way you communicate here ;-)

The comparison to drug addiction was of course not meant like that... everything was written with a big smile to ease the conversation, but surely holds a bit truth in it.

My description of the emotional decision points when buying a camera might be a little bit exagerated and I am no native english speaker.

But yet you continue to insult people - me for exapmle, as a person with psychic problems... Pardon?!

Please look over the last posts and decide by yourself who posted agressive and offensive words...

It is easy to call names on everybody who does not comply with your opinion or the way you communicate here ;-)

Sorry but I had no impression you were being serious...you even used a smiley face. And I wonder if you are serious now. In any case my therapist advised me that on-line posting would help my issues. But once we stray from specific points about pros and cons of gear, personal characteristics and emotions do rise up. I don't think my posts are focused much on anyone's emotions but it is interesting for me to see the ways people connect with their gear. That is something I did not know. Owning fancy cameras is actually important in some way besides taking photos with them?

So if serious, tell me, why do you like fondling cameras and how long have you felt a need to do that?

Edited by AlanG

Sorry but I had no impression you were being serious...you even used a smiley face. And I wonder if you are serious now. In any case my therapist advised me that on-line posting would help my issues.

Like I said. I am surely exaggerated some points.

But I stand by my point that I do not have to let you call me or other people here a psych...

Sorry but I had no impression you were being serious...you even used a smiley face. And I wonder if you are serious now. In any case my therapist advised me that on-line posting would help my issues. But once we stray from specific points about pros and cons of gear' date=' personal characteristics and emotions do rise up. I don't think my posts are focused much on anyone's emotions but it is interesting for me to see the ways people connect with their gear. That is something I did not know. So if serious, tell me, why do you like fondling cameras and how long have you felt a need to do that? [/quote']

You know exactly that I am surely was not talking about "camera fondling"...

I have to remember myself to an important rule: Do not feed the trolls...

Geeeez... all this would have been avoided if only T had focus peaking !!

Yes I hope Leica learned this one ;-)