No focus peaking???

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No, not that much more, maybe 2 or 3. Much like the difference in cost between a kit lens from Fuji and Leica (£520 v £1250)

First, this food stuff is about to make me barf. How far do you need to reach for analogies or can you stay on the subject of cameras? A $2000 hooker may be a lot better than a $100 one too. (Not that I've had experience with either.)

Specifically I was comparing the T to a camera that costs 1/8th the price. You can compare it to anything you want. I could buy a Sinar view camera and a bunch of lenses on Ebay for a lot less than $4200. That will have only essential features and I know I could get better photos with it.

They are only asking $2500 for this substantial kit. That is only $750 more than the T's zoom lens alone and you get 5 German made lenses that are in metal mounts.

Sinar P1 Large Format Film Camera with Lenses and Stand and Many Filters Setup | eBay

Edited by AlanG
  • Like 1

Plus 2500 $ for the Camel you need to carry it....:rolleyes:

Modern photographers like me drive Jeeps. ;)

I carry about ten times that much gear every day. All is essential to my work. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by AlanG

First, this food stuff is about to make me barf. How far do you need to reach for analogies or can you stay on the subject of cameras? A $2000 hooker may be a lot better than a $100 one too. (Not that I've had experience with either.)

It was an analogy, the first that came to my mind. I'm sorry to hear that it wasn't to your taste.

• Like 1

youre in wrong forum then :rolleyes:

Why is that? Don't you think any Leica shooters carry lots of lights, computers, tripods, grip equipment, backgrounds, light modifiers, and a bunch of bodies and lenses?

In commercial work all of this is expected and it has increased over the years.

Here is a photographer using an S2.

They are only asking $2500 for this substantial kit. That is only $750 more than the T's zoom lens alone and you get 5 German made lenses that are in metal mounts.

Leica charged over $1000 for an upgrade to an M9-P, which basically only covered a dot removal, some script and a sapphire screen. Last year we discussed a replacement lens hood for a 28 lens that cost over $400.

Examples abound….nothing new under the sun.

Some buy, some don't. Some keep on buying. Some switch to other options. Some vent on forums, having tried the product or not.

Personally, I try a product if I think it might meet some desired need and then I make a value judgment. If it doesn't suit, I move on; otherwise it doesn't matter to me as long as the company continues to survive and support and service the products I own….and that's another (maybe related) matter.

Jeff

• Like 2

Come to think of it, none that I'm aware of.

Some cameras have had a USB triggering capability. The remote release for my old Konica Minolta A2 worked that way. But it remains to be seen on the T.

Tethered cameras can be triggered from the computer but I generally find it easier to push the remote cord than use the trackpad and button on the computer.

Why is that? Don't you think any Leica shooters carry lots of lights, computers, tripods, grip equipment, backgrounds, light modifiers, and a bunch of bodies and lenses?

In commercial work all of this is expected and it has increased over the years.

Here is a photographer using an S2.

Leica M is famous for mobility, good optics in small package.

If you like medium format, please keep discussion in S2 section. I know you have specific needs, but I dont see why you have to be in every section to tell your own medium format ambitions, filled of millions if not billions features. .

I never demanded that Nikon replace my F with an F2 either. Or make a fisheye or tilt/shift lens. I never demanded digital photography either, but I don't shoot film any more.

What is your point? Does Leica somehow know what nobody else knows?

OK here is a list off the top of my head of what comes on a Nex 6 that is not on the T. (There may be more.) And other newer cameras may have more features than the Nex 6.

1. Image stabilization on some lenses.

2. Sensor cleaner

3. Built in EVF

4. Focus peaking

5. Magnified focus anywhere in the frame

6. AE lock button

7. Tilting LCD

8. Ability to use flash and EVF simultaneously

9. Electronic level

10. 10 fps

11. Electronic first curtain shutter

12. More compact IS kit lens that is wider with powered zoom

13. IR port and connector for wired remote cord.

14. HDMI out.

15. Sweep panorama feature

16. PDAF on sensor

17. AF illuminator

18. Anti Motion Blur : 6-image layering

19. Video Mode : AVCHD: PS - 1920 x 1080/60p@28Mbps FX - 1920 x 1080/60i@24Mbps FH - 1920 x 1080/60i@17Mbps FX - 1920 x 1080/24p@24Mbps FH - 1920 x 1080/24p@17Mbps MP4: HD - 1440 x 1080/ 30fps@12Mbps VGA - 640 x 480/ 30fps@3Mbps

20. Smaller and lighter with kit lens and EVF.

21. Smile shutter release. (I see the T has face detection - an essential feature for sure.)

22. Many more lenses available at this time including from third parties even some AF adapters for other brands... E.g. Canon Speedbooster.

23. Alpha lens adapter with SLT PDAF system for faster focusing.

Of course nobody really needs any of this and none could possibly lead to sharper or better photographs in any way.

Yes we should all still be shooting film with our M3s and Nikon Fs. Or Daguerreotypes for that matter. Heck there was a time when nobody could think of the need for more than a handful of computers worldwide.

Times change.

'Of course nobody really needs any of this and none could possibly lead to sharper or better photographs in any way.'

yes ..... the main factor in taking photos is the idiot behind the viewfinder

either buy the T and use it .... or shut up and get something else.

this whole thread has degenerated into the usual playground 'my dads bigger than your dad' pointless argument about bugger all.

Leica do what they think will make them money. They are not a charity for wistful 'olde worlde' photographers or pursuing 'tech freaks'. Sales are the only thing that counts.... and there are multiple ways of levering open a wallet ..... just let them get on with it :rolleyes:

• Like 3

'Of course nobody really needs any of this and none could possibly lead to sharper or better photographs in any way.'

yes ..... the main factor in taking photos is the idiot behind the viewfinder

either buy the T and use it .... or shut up and get something else.

this whole thread has degenerated into the usual playground 'my dads bigger than your dad' pointless argument about bugger all.

Leica do what they think will make them money. They are not a charity for wistful 'olde worlde' photographers or pursuing 'tech freaks'. Sales are the only thing that counts.... and there are multiple ways of levering open a wallet ..... just let them get on with it :rolleyes:

For me this is simply a hypothetical discussion and statements of my views. If they don't resonate with you then just ignore them. I don't care what Leica does or its customers think about the products. It has no impact on me. Is posting to a forum actually supposed to have some significant purpose?

Regardless of what you or anyone else needs in a camera, do you not agree that this is a pretty long list of missing features? Just one or two of them might be a deal breaker for some buyers. E.g. I really like having an electronic level. Again, this is a theoretical question, nothing personal. But I suspect that the designers at Leica had to consider the pluses and minuses of leaving these things out.

Edited by AlanG

OK here is a list off the top of my head of what comes on a Nex 6 that is not on the T. (There may be more.) And other newer cameras may have more features than the Nex 6.

1. Image stabilization on some lenses.

2. Sensor cleaner

3. Built in EVF

4. Focus peaking

5. Magnified focus anywhere in the frame

6. AE lock button

7. Tilting LCD

8. Ability to use flash and EVF simultaneously

9. Electronic level

10. 10 fps

11. Electronic first curtain shutter

12. More compact IS kit lens that is wider with powered zoom

13. IR port and connector for wired remote cord.

14. HDMI out.

15. Sweep panorama feature

16. PDAF on sensor

17. AF illuminator

18. Anti Motion Blur : 6-image layering

19. Video Mode : AVCHD: PS - 1920 x 1080/60p@28Mbps FX - 1920 x 1080/60i@24Mbps FH - 1920 x 1080/60i@17Mbps FX - 1920 x 1080/24p@24Mbps FH - 1920 x 1080/24p@17Mbps MP4: HD - 1440 x 1080/ 30fps@12Mbps VGA - 640 x 480/ 30fps@3Mbps

20. Smaller and lighter with kit lens and EVF.

21. Smile shutter release. (I see the T has face detection - an essential feature for sure.)

22. Many more lenses available at this time including from third parties even some AF adapters for other brands... E.g. Canon Speedbooster.

23. Alpha lens adapter with SLT PDAF system for faster focusing.

Jack of all trades, master of none. Sometimes the jack is the better choice, sometimes the master.

• Like 2

Jack of all trades, master of none. Sometimes the jack is the better choice, sometimes the master.

Oh foolish me. Obviously it is better to have to add an EVF rather than have one built in. More AF lens choices at the moment... bad idea too. That just makes the camera too damn versatile. You can't see how a single one of these things could ever be useful to you someday?

Edited by AlanG

You can't see how a single one of these things could ever be useful to you someday?

So how many of them do you use on a regular basis on your Nex 6?

I have a Fuji X-Pro 1 that has many of those features. The only one I use is the electronic level, and that' s beginning to annoy me as I seem to be concentrating more on getting the shot level than getting the shot itself - and yes, it's my problem.