jaapv

Leica T/TL/TL2 - the Image thread

Crop spraying this morning ..... with 100% detail crop....

Amazing detailing that 100% crop!

It is June in southern California and the period we call June Gloom. The marine layer comes in off the Pacific in the evening and hangs over us until late in the morning or early afternoon. It is nice and sunny until the marine layer comes back in the late afternoon. Being Friday we have happy hour at the Fisherman's restaurant and the start of the summer Friday night concert series at the beach. A few shots from this evening.

I call these next two fishing. Everyone in the frame is fishing for something.

A little of the entertainment for the evening.

approx half size crop .... 50/2 apo again

thigslapper,

have you noticed if the T's DNGs keep exhibiting purple fringing also with the 50 APO?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno

thigslapper,

have you noticed if the T's DNGs keep exhibiting purple fringing also with the 50 APO?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno

No ...... but I have only had both for less than a week ......

I have looked in all the usual high contrast areas in the photos I have taken and have seen zero so far ....

No ...... but I have only had both for less than a week ......

I have looked in all the usual high contrast areas in the photos I have taken and have seen zero so far ....

Thanks a lot thighslapper, this sounds quite reassuring as it likely means that the purple fringing I've seen plaguing most of the files I could grab did not depend from poor sensor optimization but from the kit zoom being a bottle ass...

Cheers,

Bruno

Great handling of the sunset -- did you need to PP to compress the DR a bit or is this all to the camera's credit? BTW which lens did you use?

Thanks. I processed in LR. I don't recall the settings, but there was still latitude left so it wasn't pushed to the limits. Im very pleased with the little camera.

This was the 23mm f2 Lens

Manhattan Beach ... I love the light in this picture!

Thanks!

Edited by digitalfx

If you like classic cars and you like the 50's and 60's you would have enjoyed this show.

What's a classic car show without Marilyn Monroe? Brought out the crowds.

Finally, being part of surf city USA you need a classic "Woody" to take your surf board to the beach.

Terrific. Some are from the 50's (such as the '55 Chevy and the '49 or '50 Ford woody), but most of the rest are street rods based on '30s and 40's cars.

I only posted a small fraction of the cars that were there. I took over 50 photos. As to PP, the only PP was to adjust the DNGs down ⅔ stop and recover the over exposed high lights. On the JPGs I just recovered the over exposed highlights. I did discover one strange phenomenon. In the shot with the Marilyn Monroe look-a-like, I exported the JPG and on close examination of the full image at 100%, the boy in the Levi shirt's pants leg had serious chromatic aberration but the DNG did not. It appears that LR removes it from the DNG but it is baked into the JPG. I took the same pair of images into the latest version of Iridient Developer (ID) and noticed that the CA was present in the DNG and JPGs (before turning off lens correction). Then I turned off lens correction and the DNG was actually cleaner and only visible at 200%. It appears that distortion correction introduces some error in the CA processing. Also, in the latest version of ID the apparent overexposure of the DNG files is gone!

It seems that a) the lens is not as good as Leica seemed to promote and

there are problems with the PP profiles for LR and ID. Here is a link to the original two files so you can check for yourself.

On further review, I am wrong. It too shows the overexposure on DNG files. However, I like the color better.

Edited by barjohn

John,

thanks for sharing your thoughts and files. I took the liberty to download and examine them.

In the jpeg file the CA on the boy's leg is visible but quite unnoticeable as it blends with the pants color.

But the same CA in the same color is visible either in the poles at the right behind the flag and in the arch holding the Ola Vista sign.

As a Linux user I grind DNGs in RAWTherapee which has no camera dedicated profile, so it's easy for me to spot shortcomings if any as they're not covered by the software.

No matter applying distortion correction or not, there's a faint trace of CA in the boy's leg. Only this time is more visible as the fringing is purple/magenta and not blue as in the jpeg.

I also see CA in the poles at the right and in the top of the flag pole. In both places fringing is green on the right and magenta on the left, God only knows why.

In RAWTherapee intensity of CA depends much on applied color presets. Those which pump the color to give more pop tend to exacerbate the problem. Regrettably enough (for me) RAWTherapee filters to defringe and to remove CA apparently can nothing against the fringing I usually find in T's DNGs. Strangely enough, the same correction filters are very effective on the DNG files produced by my X2 which shares the same sensor of the T.

Finally, what seems odd to me is the amount of details that went lost in the jpeg you shared, especially considering that I'm no good at all at PP. Here are two 100% crops. One is from my jpeg originating from your DNG, the other's yours as available in Dropbox. Was this straight ooc?

Cheers,

Bruno

Edited by !Nomad64

Summicron T 1:2 23 ASPH @ f/2

Jpg on camera

Thank you for posting a JPG. I often shoot JPG simply because I do not have the time to photoshop every picture I take. The colors look great.

The ones that I used the JPG were OOC with the highlights recovered. No other adjustments.