Sign in to follow this  
Winedemonium

3 zooms to cover the traditional DSLR range

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Most sites are talking about the two lenses offered at release - the 2/23 Summicron T, and the 3.5~5.6/18-56 Vario-Elmar T.

But looking on Lavidaleica's review page, I was surprised to see the photos and specs for two more lenses -

3.5~5.6/55-135 APO Vario-Elmar T

3.5~4.5/11-23 Super Vario-Elmar T

I think its interesting that three of the first four lenses offered are zooms, and a complement of all three of those will cover the gambit from 17mm-200mm (full frame equivalent).

I'm intrigued that that is their initial focus, rather than, say, 28mm or 21mm, 50mm and 90mm equivalents first. It shows just how much of a break from the M and S mould this T system is aimed to be.

Edited by Winedemonium

The t-summicron is 23mm (35mm ff eq)!

John

Thanks. Corrected now. In my head it is 2/35 already converted, as that is such a classic - I neglected to convert back to its correct designation.

I think it's clear that this camera is designed to appeal to a largely different audience from the M's traditional buyers, and I agree that the zooms are further evidence of this.

Reading the media sites, the camera is coming in for a fair amount of ridicule for what is perceived as derivative styling, low specs and absurdly high price compared with the Japanese competition, but it also has a fair number of defenders, largely aspirational in the sense that it seems to come mostly from people saying "I'd buy one if I could afford one, which I can't" . The consensus (not that it matters) seems to be that it's a trap for the wealthy hipsters rather than photographers, though I interpret the web's idea of "photographer" as "camera geek".

In this respect at least, it is very similar to the M!

but it also has a fair number of defenders, largely aspirational

I imagine this camera is going to do very well in key Asian markets on the basis of brand value, Apple-like styling, and ease of use. The camera's aesthetics in particular I think are going to appeal a great deal.