New In-Depth Leica T Review

Great review of a great addition to the Leica-family!

It would be good if T-reviews could be gathered in one thread. Perhaps a moderator could initiate such a 'service' for those of us that don't follow all threads in various forums?

Best wishes for the weekend to you all!

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

David's review answers very nearly all the questions and speculations we see in other T threads. I would hope all would read this review and stop making bad guesses, and damning the camera based on those bad guesses.

• Like 17

HI David, this is the best review I have seen for this camera. The pictures are exactly what I was looking for, with natural processing that show the camera's sharpness and colour off.

I'm really quite astonished by what this camera and lenses are out putting and think it's a very exciting camera and time for Leica.

• Like 5

Well, I thought I would never go backwards from FF to APS-C, even for a backup to my backup M240. But here I go. I will give it a try as a third camera. Just think my APO135 becomes an M 200mm. I might even sell my R 180/2.8, but wait it now becomes an R 270 and with my 2x a whopping 540mm.

Thanks, David, Jono, Sean, Michael. Now I just have to get an iPhone so I know how to use it and remotely control it since there is no cable release socket.

• Like 2

David, thank you so much for a very thourogh, well written review with wonderful photos to illustrate your observations. Well done! More backup for my serious interest in this new camera system.;)

• Like 3

But one perhaps. Did you get smeared corners or red edges with M wides on the T?

Nope. I tested the 18mm Super-Elmar-M ASPH and the corners were sharper than the 18-56 Vario-Elmar-T @ 18mm. I also tested the 24mm Elmar-M ASPH with a similar result, but not as dramatic a difference. No red edges with any lenses.

• Like 10

Great review David. Thorough and practical and entertaining too. I especially agree with you on this which speaks to the end results and makes this camera now an object of lust:

"But, due to the wider dynamic range, I did find myself routinely bringing my black levels down and white levels up while simultaneously opening up shadows and recovering highlights. This technique works quite well and can be seen in most of my sample images throughout the review. I’ve covered this topic before, but it bears repeating: I don’t personally believe in judging images “out of camera with no corrections or sharpening.” To me, this isn’t the end result and tells me nothing about the possible quality from a given camera. I want to see how malleable the files are, how easy and consistent they are to work with and ultimately, how they look when I finalize my artistic vision for them."

• Like 3

Enjoyed the review. I have a quick question. Is their a way to do shoot photos for timelapse video? I am ok to create the video in PP but wanted to know whether a timer can be used to take fixed number of shots at specified interval.

• Like 3

A great review, exactly what we need to understand what it offers

I'm very impressed with the colours and image quality, I mean that in the widest sense of the term quality. A great little camera, it will be on my Xmas list ;)

Shame they didn't offer a little more traditional styling, I can see why they didn't, perhaps if they had spoken to Porsche design and not Audi the result would have seemed more evolution than revolution

• Like 3