How to Select Focus Point with the EVF on the Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A question hopefully someone can explain how to do this on the Leica T + EVF

I use the EVF on my X2 as a permanent fixture and the LCD of the X2 is set to off and sparingly used to view some of the shots, I even prefer to look at the images through the EVF. (+ it saves battery life), the control to set the focusing point is done by selecting the point by the hard buttons on the left on the backside of the X2 and this will be seen in the EVF of the X2, the same is the case when using the manual focus and the wheel on the back, all of this is seen in the EVF.

Now my question, is this also possible with the Leica T? I know I will will use the EVF on the T but wonder if I have to constantly "switch" from the EVF to the touch screen to set the point of or to manual focus? If this is the case it means the touch-screen needs to be constantly on and that it will in a way have me working on 2 different screens.

I hope I was clear in asking the question.

• Like 1

A question hopefully someone can explain how to do this on the Leica T + EVF

I use the EVF on my X2 as a permanent fixture and the LCD of the X2 is set to off and sparingly used to view some of the shots, I even prefer to look at the images through the EVF. (+ it saves battery life), the control to set the focusing point is done by selecting the point by the hard buttons on the left on the backside of the X2 and this will be seen in the EVF of the X2, the same is the case when using the manual focus and the wheel on the back, all of this is seen in the EVF.

Now my question, is this also possible with the Leica T? I know I will will use the EVF on the T but wonder if I have to constantly "switch" from the EVF to the touch screen to set the point of or to manual focus? If this is the case it means the touch-screen needs to be constantly on and that it will in a way have me working on 2 different screens.

I hope I was clear in asking the question.

Because there are no hard buttons on the camera, you will have to take your eye away from the EVF to change your focus point on the LCD. The good news is that the screen switching happens instantaneously when you move your eye away from the EVF. Also, you can add Focus Mode to your My Menu, allowing you to access the focus point selection without having to dig through the main menu. Also, selecting the focus point is extremely quick with the touchscreen. Just tap where you want to position the point, put your eye back up the EVF and shoot.

It will be an adjustment, for sure, but ultimately, I don't think you will find it is really as bad as you might think.

• Like 1

Because there are no hard buttons on the camera, you will have to take your eye away from the EVF to change your focus point on the LCD. The good news is that the screen switching happens instantaneously when you move your eye away from the EVF. Also, you can add Focus Mode to your My Menu, allowing you to access the focus point selection without having to dig through the main menu. Also, selecting the focus point is extremely quick with the touchscreen. Just tap where you want to position the point, put your eye back up the EVF and shoot.

It will be an adjustment, for sure, but ultimately, I don't think you will find it is really as bad as you might think.

Thank you David,

Are the 2 wheels at the top back of the T programmable? It would be great if at least 1 can be assigned as an example to manual focus scrolling?

Thank you David,

Are the 2 wheels at the top back of the T programmable? It would be great if at least 1 can be assigned as an example to manual focus scrolling?

The control dials are programmable, but can not be assigned to control Auto Focus Mode. You will have to use the touchscreen for that one.

• Like 2