Diopter value, how to know?

Brenton C

I s'pose if the local Leica store had a range to choose from, I could sample them to find what I need.

Is there another way, such as from knowing the prescription strength of my specs?

If you have a prescription for distance specs that should translate to required diopter strength but not for any required astigmatism correction.

dunk

• Like 2

I had the same dilemma, in the end it was just easier to try a few out at the shop. I have about -1.5 on my right eye for specs, and lines/rf patch and image are all fuzzy. A -2.0 diopter took care of that, makes a world of difference. Expensive but worth it. Put it on, make sure it's tight, and forget about it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
If you have a prescription for distance specs that should translate to required diopter strength but not for any required astigmatism correction.

dunk

My optometrist informs me that an astigmatism correction lens for the viewfinder is useless. When correctly set for horizontal photographs turning the camera to the vertical position changes the horizontal correction to the vertical correction and vice versa.

Essentially the distorted eyeball needs one correction lens curvature in one plane and a second curvature in the plane at 90° to the first. Switching the corrections can only make things worse!

My optometrist informs me that an astigmatism correction lens for the viewfinder is useless. When correctly set for horizontal photographs turning the camera to the vertical position changes the horizontal correction to the vertical correction and vice versa.

Essentially the distorted eyeball needs one correction lens curvature in one plane and a second curvature in the plane at 90° to the first. Switching the corrections can only make things worse!

It's "useless" for one plane but most photographers use their cameras in landscape format most of the time … so it's not 100% useless.

Astigmatism can be corrected via eye exercises - ask your optometrist.

dunk

Ask your provider what your proper spherical correction would be for 2 feet in the eye you will use. This means you will take off your glasses and lose any cylindrical correction you might have for astigmatism .

If you wish to leave glasses on, +1 should work.

Fall back is to go try various reader glasses at drug store and buy the same diopter.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That problem has long be solved:

Walter RX Leica M rangefinder astigmatism rotating eyepiece | Leica M9 M9-P astigmatism rotating eyepiece diopter correction lens, fits rangefinder M8 digital M7 M6 M5 M4 M3 M2 leitz analog cameras.

Edited by jaapv

Or, of course:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

:D:D

• Like 1

I thought so as well, but this recent post raises doubts about its practical use.

Regardless, I stick to my prescription glasses…corrects for VF as well as for looking at the subject at a distance, without having to continually put on and remove glasses. And given my sensitivity to sunlight, prescription sunglasses solve another simultaneous issue.

Jeff

• Like 1