Rollei RPX-25 film, anyone used it already?

fotohuis

If you're looking at the RPX packing, backing paper and foil, it is typical Ilford manufacturing. RPX-100 and RPX-400 are Harman/Ilford products (Which does't mean the RPX-25 will be).

It is on clear layer (RPX-25) and Ilford is using Grey tri-Acetate for their film production. But more important: RPX-25 is a nice iso 25-50 film additional to a few other slow speed B&W films which are not widely available anymore.

....But how are YOUR results?....

Agfa APX25 was my favourite medium format film for pictorial subjects. I have several 35mm rolls of the new RPX25, it will be interesting to see how it compares to APX25 when I get around to using it.

If you're looking at the RPX packing, backing paper and foil, it is typical Ilford manufacturing. RPX-100 and RPX-400 are Harman/Ilford products (Which does't mean the RPX-25 will be).

I have a roll in my 6x12 camera right now and the packaging is exactly the same as an Ilford film, even down to my long standing inability to tear the foil (yes I know everybody else finds it easy). Strangely, or maybe not so strangely, when on the Ilford guided tour late last year they said there was no market for an Ilford slow film, so maybe the Rollei branded version was already in the pipeline and naturally they wouldn't want to tread on the toes of their commissioning customer?

If Leica wanted to sell more film cameras I couldn't think of a better way of showing film was still available by than by commissioning Ilford for a 'Barnack 25' or a 'Gibson 400' film. I'm not sure I'd want to pay Leica prices, but in a Leica store it would look damned inspiring stacked next to an MP display.

Steve

Edited by 250swb
  • Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have a roll in my 6x12 camera right now and the packaging is exactly the same as an Ilford film, even down to my long standing inability to tear the foil (yes I know everybody else finds it easy). Strangely, or maybe not so strangely, when on the Ilford guided tour late last year they said there was no market for an Ilford slow film, so maybe the Rollei branded version was already in the pipeline and naturally they wouldn't want to tread on the toes of their commissioning customer?

If Leica wanted to sell more film cameras I couldn't think of a better way of showing film was still available by than by commissioning Ilford for a 'Barnack 25' or a 'Gibson 400' film. I'm not sure I'd want to pay Leica prices, but in a Leica store it would look damned inspiring stacked next to an MP display.

Steve

How can anything look good next to an MP :eek: i would love a brassy one

If Leica wanted to sell more film cameras...

Steve

Steve, I guess the crux of the matter is the "if"...

Anyway, just wanted to add that the Rollei 25 iso film marketed a couple of years ago was fairly fragile in development. It scratched so easily that the lab here in Paris that sold and treated it stopped doing so within a short period. I'm not saying this will be the case now, but applying special care may prevent unwanted surprises. Also, the older film liked even more light than the iso suggested, or would remain quite low contrast (contrary to what I remember of APX 25, but it had been said the Rollei were rebadged remnants of Agfa's emulsion).

Interesting introduction at any rate. I'd be glad to see some samples.

Cheers,

Alexander

Steve, I guess the crux of the matter is the "if"...

I imagine if they didn't they could just stop altogether, but film camera's are a valuable resource to the company.

The Leica heritage is a massive benefit to the company, the fact that it does still sell film cameras plays a big part in selling digital cameras to new customers. They see the history, and see the quality, and see the longer term commitment to customers, and so feel much happier spending the money. The experience is more than just buying a new camera, despite there being a multitude of cheaper digital options on the market.

Anyway, RPX25, it turns out to be fine grain, sharp, slightly contrasty in my usual developer (Obsidian Aqua) compared with FP4. It is what you'd expect from a slow film, but not a big jump (if any) from Pan-F, which is what it may be, Pan-F made slower?

Steve

The Leica branded film (and, perhaps, by extension a d+p service handled by Ilford or a partner lab) is a good idea that, whatever the actual photographic merits, would likely create a bit of a buzz amongst film users. However, I just don't get the sense that the current senior management are that fussed about the film cameras other than the marketing benefits they occasionally bring through association with some of the big name photographers. I'm not sure how the M7 fits with Dr. Kauffman and his new Steve Jobs persona.

• Like 3

The Leica branded film (and, perhaps, by extension a d+p service handled by Ilford or a partner lab) is a good idea that, whatever the actual photographic merits, would likely create a bit of a buzz amongst film users. However, I just don't get the sense that the current senior management are that fussed about the film cameras other than the marketing benefits they occasionally bring through association with some of the big name photographers. I'm not sure how the M7 fits with Dr. Kauffman and his new Steve Jobs persona.

Well....I think that is convenient for them to keep M7/MP on pricelist : according to their CEO Alfred Schoepf they are presently the #1 in 35mm film cameras (interview of November 2013) , being the others next to nil... :cool: always a pleasant position to hold, even in a very marginal market...

Well, my comment on Leica's commitment to film cameras was a bit of a boutade, and I agree that keeping the company's heritage alive is a major asset. Still, in comparison to the efforts produced to sell digital luxury goods, promoting film photography seems to have disappeared from Leica's radar.

Teaming up with the successful film survivors, even with Kodak for the Tri-X, would indeed seem to make sense (reminds me a bit of one of the silver labs here that has a showcase for a Leica Store and repair shop).

But then I wonder whether this would not just lead to another hype, rendering film more expensive.

Alexander

The 35mm version of RPX25 packaging shows a distinct similarity to Ilford packaging, the same plastic canister as Delta 100 and processing guidelines for the various Ilford developers are printed on the inside of the box alongside those for 'Rollei' developers. The acetate is noticeably thinner than either Delta 100 or HP5+.

I'll keep an open mind until I've used it, but my first impression is I suspect it's character and heritage are more related to PanF than Agfa. Only one way to find out......

Edited by honcho

• 2 weeks later...

I've uploaded an image to the Architecture gallery HERE and another to the Landscape gallery HERE

Shacklow Wood Mill was taken on a very wet and murky day in a Peak District woodland and the boat house was in early evening light (top shade) a couple of weeks ago. RPX 25 is very similar to PanF, no real surprise there. Incredibly fine grain and very sharp. It will test your technique.

I processed the first roll in Pyro and the negatives have high contrast, given the lighting throughout the roll, but show good shadow and highlight detail. It's one of those films that will deliver with a little pre-planning on how and when you're going to use it and what you want to achieve with it. It will very likely catch you out at times, but I think it is very good. After this first use with RPX 25 in my MP, I'm looking forward to using roll film RPX 25 in my Cambo and Fujis.

Edited by honcho

• 4 years later...

I just went out this morning with my Hasselblad and a roll of Rollei RPX 25 in the film back. It was a very nice overcast day so I felt a trial of this film would be appropriate for the early morning hours. I developed it in FX-1, and used 13 min for developing time @ 68 deg F.

When I removed the film from my developing tank after fixing, I stood with a roll of clear film, no images whatsoever. The numbers and Rollei logo can be seen on the film, but not a single image is visible at all.

I just processed a roll of Agfa APX 100 (new emulsion) yesterday using FX-1 developer and that roll of negatives are perfect.

Any thoughts on what might have happened with the Rollei RPX25?

I developed 8 min in 1:1 D76

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ambro51

I just finished developing a roll of 36 exp. Rollei RPX shot in my Leica M4-P. I shot 1/3 of the roll at ASA 20, then another 1/3 roll at ASA 25 and finally the last 1/3 roll at ASA 50. Developed the roll in Rodinal 1:50 for 11 min. @ 68 deg. F. Film is drying right now, but there are images. I don’t understand what happened with the Rolei RPX 25 roll film shot in my Hasselblad and developed in Crawley’s FX-1 developer. I’ve had good luck with FX-1 with Agfa APX 100, Ilford HP4, and even Illford Pan F+. I guess my next test run will be a roll of Rollei RPX25 shot in my Leica M4-P at three different ASA values and developed in FX-1. See if I can duplicate results achieved with Rodinal.

doctorlebel, my best guess is that your Hasselblad malfunctioned through no fault of your own.

The first thing I would suspect is the magazine shutter did not open.

I have been a Hasselblad user for years; that has not happened to me so I cannot help except to suggest you remove the film back and look as you click the shutter. Sorry.

Very best of luck

Edited by pico