Sign in to follow this  
colonel

T USP & Accessories

Putting aside image quality, which looks to be great according to the initial reviewers, this seems to be one of the best thought out cameras recently on the market.

I'm talking about handling and real attention to detail that is very Apple like (I am not the first to say this and will not be the last).

The following are particularly attractive

1. The user interface looks superb and unique, slick, clever and is great for the photographer (see Steve Huff's video for an in depth take through). I was sceptical about this at first but it looks to actually be a selling point for the camera.

2. Strap connections that can not scratch the camera (need needle to release, like iPhone sim card)

3. The build and integration (look Audi/Porsche) are stunning, if you like minimalist

4. EVF has build in GPS. Odd combination but strangely attractive

5. Aluminium (and leather) shoulder holster

6. Battery with aluminium bottom built in (didn't see that coming!)

7. Camera protector doesn't look half bad

8. Leica T-Snap case. Looks crazy enough to be useful, well thought out

This is an extremely well thought out camera.

It may be difficult to use in bright sunlight !!! and as Steve Huff commented the IQ is similar to the XV which is excellent but its not FF, so folk expecting the out and out pixel peeping of the M240, A7 or Canikon FF might be disappointed.

Also if you don't like or want to use touch screen devices then this is a drawback.

Who is it for ? I can't work this out. It seems to be good for the casual shooter but also for the enthusiast as the manual controls work well on the touch screen.

My recommendations:

Steve Huff video (to guage look and use)

Ming Thein review (handling

Sean Reid review (detail)

This is a far more software intensive camera then pervious Leica's. I wonder who wrote the software, or who Leica collaborated with ? being involved with software development myself I could imagine not only a sizeable team would be needed to write this but it would have to be built on libraries already evolved for some years to be as bug free as it appears (Huff said that there were no hiccups over a week period of his use)

best rgds

I won't quote the article as it would make this reposnse too lengthy, but in general I don't disagree with your points.

1. Yes, tremendous interface. I'll need to have the camera for a day or so to really get into it.

2. Strap - nice idea, but! Constrained to use the Leica strap which IMO is not on. We need an after-market adapter to enable use of other straps.

3. Indeed!

4. Odd as you say but it possibly explains the cost level?

5. Interesting, Shades of the M9 Titanium's holster? Not for me, but probably an Audi "must have"?

6. Neither did I! Leads to a stocking complication for dealers! Especially if there are "specials"

7. Yes - nice, but why no matching leather strap?

8. No comment.

I understand that there is automatic adjustment of the screen brightness relating to ambient light. But of course there are limits!

It certainly feels like this has been in development for a long time and I am sure I either read in the brochure or heard that the software was all done in-house, but as I write this I can't positively confirm it.

It's an impressive product, not for everyone obviously, one just has to read these threads, but it will sell!

This is a far more software intensive camera then pervious Leica's. I wonder who wrote the software, or who Leica collaborated with ? being involved with software development myself I could imagine not only a sizeable team would be needed to write this but it would have to be built on libraries already evolved for some years to be as bug free as it appears (Huff said that there were no hiccups over a week period of his use)

best rgds

Apple?

Bruno

4. EVF has build in GPS. Odd combination but strangely attractive

A GPS antenna within the aluminum case would have difficulty receiving a useful signal.

A GPS antenna within the aluminum case would have difficulty receiving a useful signal.

Not anymore.

… Who is it for ? I can't work this out. ...

At a guess it's an introduction to the Leica brand (and taking over from pre-loved M8's) at a more attainable price than the M, and its modern approach will attract a younger age group who expect touch screens on everything, smartphone minimalism and ease of use.

Pete.