T a break with tradition?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The Leica T marks a significant change in design philosophy for Leica -- regardless of the marketing spiel. Leica says: "In the development of the new T system, we let ourselves be guided by values that have strongly been associated with the Leica name for more than 100 years. Dedication to innovation. Passion for technology. Love of design. Nevertheless, our steps took us down entirely new roads…"

Oscar Barnack was a pioneer and the early Leicas were innovative, but in my view, subsequent Leica cameras have been evolutionary rather than revolutionary. "Design" covers a whole gamut of qualities. It is more than simply "style". Previous Leica marketing material extolled the company's values as concentration on the essentials, the quest for technical perfection, ruggedness, reliability and longevity.

CEO Kaufmann still emphasizes simplicity and concentration on the essentials -- "das Wesentliche" -- but in an entirely different way.

Is the T simpler than an M to use? It is a touchscreen camera. I am probably one of the few dinosaurs who don't regularly use touchscreen phones or tablets. With cameras, I prefer analog controls for shutter and aperture, which is one of the reasons I like the whole concept of the M camera. I also find LCDs can be hard to see, especially in bright light, and I like at least having the option of optical viewfinders.

The X cameras still use the M (or original Leica) design interface. The recognition that simple analog controls are still eminently practical, even in the digital era, has been picked up by other camera manufacturers, notably Fuji but also Nikon. I would have quite liked to have seen an X Vario but with interchangeable lenses.

I also have no interest in Facebook or social media. But that is just me. Millions of people do, and they are also very familiar (and may even prefer) touchscreen technology. So the T can be seen as Leica's move to attract a younger market. That is great; I am not sure it is for me.

I do hope Leica will still focus on the M design approach, and not switch completely to this new approach.

• Like 8

Ruggedness, reliability, simplicity of design, the essential elements of photography. The T seems to have this in spades. It's the product of Leica design philosophy when applied to the smartphone generation. While I don't think that Leica will move all smaller cameras to the T body design, I would not mind at all if Leica began to apply the same unibody construction concept to the X cameras and perhaps even a new EVF-only version of the M. In fact, I'd welcome it.

It has been noted that the T-mount is large enough to accommodate a full frame sensor, being even larger than the Sony E-mount that was originally aps-c and is now FF. Planning for the future? I hope so! I love the M-body design as much as the next Leica fiend, but I'm all in favour of refinement of design and progress as well.

• Like 2

Depends on what you define as refinement and progress. I wonder how rugged the LCD will prove to be. Although quite a few people have said how easy the touchscreen is to use, I find menus and modes far trickier and non intuitive than simple analog controls -- especially with my chunky fingers. I also wonder how easy it would b to press the wrong setting by mistake.

• Like 1

I really doubt, that the T camera will be a big commercial success. In my opinion the better way would have been to follow in principle the X line with a the new T mount and interchangable lenses and a possibility to adapt M lenses with a an excellent manual focussing help - not only enlargement. But the new T camera does of course not make it impossible to follow a second line - may be a little bit later. It would be very unwise, to develop and produce or let produce a range of new enses just for one camera.

.........It has been noted that the T-mount is large enough to accommodate a full frame sensor, being even larger than the Sony E-mount that was originally aps-c and is now FF. Planning for the future? I hope so!...........

..............But the new T camera does of course not make it impossible to follow a second line - may be a little bit later. It would be very unwise, to develop and produce or let produce a range of new enses just for one camera.

Indeed. And as I've said in another thread I'm sure this is what Leica have in mind, with other T iterations probably already in the planning stage.

You've got your cynical hat on again James ;):).

I think you have to look beyond features v price v the mass market to see the bigger picture (no pun intended). This is potentially a big deal for Leica.....a new mount (perhaps physically large enough for full frame in the future) in a new AF system with a radically different operating philosophy, all sitting below the M. Who knows where it might lead.

I'm just thinking if it is really necessary to compare T with M.

For those who admire the unique operation and great image quality of M ranger finder, they will go and buy the M anyway no matter whether T exist or not.

The T is just a supplementary of current Leica product line.

The only issue is whether the T could justify its price tag, especially when considering existing APS-C MLCs such as Fuji's.

• Like 1

The T can easily be bought as an M companion. If you have the lenses then all is needed is just an adapter and you are set. In which case the camera is cheap.

The T will also free all those wanted to invest in Leica's lenses but couldnt because they also wanted AF :rolleyes: And obviously T lenses will carry compatibility with the later FF T

It's a beautifull camera, obviously very sturdy, but it lacks the amazing VF an M has. Or you don't even mess with focusing like in an M.

It doesn't break tradition it carries tradition over. My respect to Leica.

This latest Puts' post echoes some of David's comments regarding the broader context of Leica's history of innovation (or lack thereof) and design, and the conclusion that the biggest thing about the T is the indication of a new design direction.

I, too, hope that Leica keeps its product designs distinct by model. I do fear, however, that future M's will incorporate lots of modern bells and whistles, e.g., built-in links to social media, etc.

Don't worry, David, you're not alone as a dinosaur. I still have a flip phone….actually used for phone calls. :eek: ….and avoid touch screen interfaces.

Jeff

• Like 2

With cameras, I prefer analog controls for shutter and aperture, which is one of the reasons I like the whole concept of the M camera.

... which is the reason why they make the M camera. Leica can make more than one kind of camera and please more than one kind of user. They can have different formats, different controls, different mounts, different focusing systems, etc. Even different media (digital and film, as long as people still buy film M's). Not every Leica camera is for every Leica photographer. Leica is so strongly identified with the M that there is this feeling that if they make anything else, it must somehow be the end of the M or lead to a radical change in a future M. At the same time, the very survival of the company required the most radical change to the M ever ... digital.

I do fear, however, that future M's will incorporate lots of modern bells and whistles, e.g., built-in links to social media, etc.

On the one hand, I really don't see any basis to fear that the M will change into something with lots of modern bells and whistles. On the other hand, the M has already changed into something with some modern bells and whistles. But judging by the demand for the current M, that is a very good thing. I have a feeling that people don't mind modern bells and whistles as much as they say they do. If they did, they wouldn't be buying digital cameras at all! :)

• Like 1

I have a feeling that people don't mind modern bells and whistles as much as they say they do. If they did, they wouldn't be buying digital cameras at all! :)

A digital M has been different, though, as the only RF 'throwback'. I like the digital workflow (making prints), but not many of the modern day digital camera features. I hate, for instance, that the new M has video, even though I can ignore it (except when I hit the button by mistake :() ,but love that it is a better functioning RF machine than my M8.2. So while I bought it because it suits my shooting needs and preferences better at this time than other options, I still dislike certain aspects, which I anticipate will only become more prevalent.

So far, an M is still pretty much an M. If and when it migrates too much, then maybe I am looking at another system altogether. Touchscreen might just do that.

Jeff

• Like 1

A digital M has been different, though, as the only RF 'throwback'. I like the digital workflow (making prints), but not many of the modern day digital camera features. I hate, for instance, that the new M has video, even though I can ignore it (except when I hit the button by mistake :() ,but love that it is a better functioning RF machine than my M8.2. So while I bought it because it suits my shooting needs and preferences better at this time than other options, I still dislike certain aspects, which I anticipate will only become more prevalent.

So far, an M is still pretty much an M. If and when it migrates too much, then maybe I am looking at another system altogether. Touchscreen might just do that.

Jeff

I think that a video mode is a brilliant addition to any stills camera, including the M. The fact that the video mode can be activated by mistake is a user interface design error, not a problem with the addition of the video mode itself. The Olympus E-M1 has a video button too, but it can be programmed to a number of other things, including nothing at all. That "do nothing" option would fit the M well.

Video mode is a useful function to some, useless to others. Even those who think it is useless may occasionally see it as a benefit, such as when they actually want a little video and don't want to carry a separate camera just for that.

I really see no reason to fear a touchscreen M. That is, an M that would only work via touchscreen. That won't happen. Leica is not going to throw away the mechanical M interface as long as there is a demand for it, and there seems to be a good demand for it. However, an M with a few optional touchscreen functions, like setting white balance, may happen. If implemented correctly, there would be an option to switch the touchscreen off.

It's not as if a menu system is a "traditional" M value anyway, or a concept rooted in mechanical cameras. The current menu system is straight from the digital age, with no basis in Leica tradition before the digital era. A touchscreen option is only a small variation on that, a slightly newer version of a menu system, with just one more means of access (touch) and perhaps some graphics instead of just words.

I think that a video mode is a brilliant addition to any stills camera, including the M. The fact that the video mode can be activated by mistake is a user interface design error, not a problem with the addition of the video mode itself. The Olympus E-M1 has a video button too, but it can be programmed to a number of other things, including nothing at all. That "do nothing" option would fit the M well.

Video mode is a useful function to some, useless to others. Even those who think it is useless may occasionally see it as a benefit, such as when they actually want a little video and don't want to carry a separate camera just for that.

I really see no reason to fear a touchscreen M. That is, an M that would only work via touchscreen. That won't happen. Leica is not going to throw away the mechanical M interface as long as there is a demand for it, and there seems to be a good demand for it. However, an M with a few optional touchscreen functions, like setting white balance, may happen. If implemented correctly, there would be an option to switch the touchscreen off.

It's not as if a menu system is a "traditional" M value anyway, or a concept rooted in mechanical cameras. The current menu system is straight from the digital age, with no basis in Leica tradition before the digital era. A touchscreen option is only a small variation on that, a slightly newer version of a menu system, with just one more means of access (touch) and perhaps some graphics instead of just words.

All that makes sense to you. For me, I'll know it when I see it…and try it... and make decisions accordingly, but at some point I fear that I may cease being as big of a fan. In the meantime, though, I'll keep making pics…and prints…and the improvements in the latter lately have far less to do with the camera than other parts of the workflow.

Jeff