Best announcement since 1954?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I, for one, was completely underwhelmed by the T announcement. The Nikon 1 series is EXACTLY what I think of when I see it.

This system is at least 3 years behind everybody else in the industry, without any noticeable improvement in anything, just another lens mount mistake to abandon later. Don't even get me started on the VF...

Just my opinion, If I was looking for a smaller camera, the DLux 6, or the better yet the Panasonic version, is a more capable choice.

• Like 2

I'm a little surprised they didn't do a 50mm equivalent prime.

I trust they will, but for a first lens, 23 mm (35 mm) is a sensible choice. There will be more primes in the pipeline.

I trust they will, but for a first lens, 23 mm (35 mm) is a sensible choice. There will be more primes in the pipeline.

Yes... I think they made this choice also for f2 is well acceptable on a 35 eq., while for a "normal" probably people would expect a wider max aperture... and I think that they wait for AF to be really fine tuned and tested in field; right, also, to have played from the start on a significant shortest focus distance... one of the advantages of a smaller frame that is correct to put in evidence.

This is the funniest title of a thread on this forum that I have ever seen - thanks for a great laugh!!

I'm glad that tickled your fancy. ;-)

It will either haunt me as the stupidest title I've ever posted, or perhaps come to be seen as having some validity. Only time, and the future direction and success of Leica will bear that out.

An argument for the digital Ms could be made, but I don't think Leica has released anything else as important as the M3 since the M3. I think this new line has the potential to be very important for Leica, though the days of Leica having the most important camera on the market have been over since the end of the '50s, and won't be back. That doesn't matter. Leica is a small company making cameras to appeal to a high end niche market. What matters to anyone wanting to maintain any Leica system over the next several years, is that Leica is in strong shape. Reading Erwin Puts' great works on Leica history, I came to understand how precarious their history has been from around the late '60s right up until the last decade or so. Each major development has the potential to kill the firm if it doesn't work (as the R8 almost did, but the S avoided). A disaster for the T - with all its associated costs to recoup - could put potentially put Leica back to square one financially.

I hope this turns out to be their best announcement since 1954 because I love my Ms and admire the ideals and pursuit of quality and excellence driving Leica. My impression is that the T - though not aimed at M users - stays true to that. It's much more Leica DNA than anything else released 'below' the M to date, and more coherent and differentiated than many other products 'below' the M have been to date.

So, let's see. I wish them well with this.

• Like 1