Is the T made for M users?

lct

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Honest Injun - M lenses work great on the T - minimum vignetting and minimum red edges

Given that most M lenses fall into the sweet spot of the T-sensor, we should expect them to perform well.

DUH! Do you not think Leica considered that when deciding the format?

Sent from my Etcha-sketch.

in the original post:

"...- The T does not make use of its 6-bit code reading abilities (via the M adapter) to provide automatic correction of color drift and luminance vignetting for RF lenses, so far."

I assume the M adapter will communicate which coded lens is mounted, and leads me to wonder if one has the ability to manually designate which lens is mounted, as on the m9, when one is using non-coded lenses?

and, does anyone know if an adapter for R lenses is planned?

thanks in advance.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi There

Well - as Michael said, the camera is optimised for use with T lenses.

Still, with a thin cover glass and a wide lens mount and no AA filter it seems to me to work very well with M lenses. M Lens corrections are a double edged sword - much better to need as little as possible - or none at all, as if you do one thing you almost certainly effect something else (colour shifts being the obvious problem). Added to which, for those who really care there are lots of Post Processing options available, from corner fix onward. But my impression in normal use is that they are absolutely not needed.

Sean's tests are much more detailed and rigorous than the simple tests I do - but without meaning to criticise, if you shoot the same scene all the time for your tests (especially a close up scene), then you rather miss the point of what people are actually doing with the camera, and if the scene you choose doesn't suit the intention of the lens design . . .

I've not tested this theory out, but it seems to me that if you have angled micro lenses then this will improve corner resolution for close up subjects (like Sean uses) but that it may actually be a disadvantage for subjects at a greater distance. So you might find that whilst the Ricoh out resolves the T at close distances - this might even swap around at, say 5 or 6 metres (where most of us are shooting.)

With respect to the 23mm lens - as you shoot closer, the maximum aperture increases (to f2.5 at the closest focusing distance). This is to maintain the quality - but again, it suggests that Peter Karbe has optimised the lens for a particular distance (which is probably not where Sean tests from).

I can't prove this (don't have a Ricoh and couldn't be bothered anyway) - but I think it's an obvious problem using rigorous and consistent tests for lenses which may have been designed for a different situation. (e.g. testing at 1 metre when they're optimised for 10)

As far as whether the T is designed for M users - well, of course not - Leica need to add another demographic, and hopefully this camera will do it. However, in my experience - it does work well with M lenses - even difficult ones like the 28 summicron. I'm not sure you'd call it a backup, possibly a sidestep. I love using it with various M lenses, current favourite are the Noctilux and the 135 APO Telyt.

• Like 4

Taifun = typhoon in German, which is a puzzling name for a camera... :confused:

It should take the photographic world by storm perhaps? It’s not the actual name of the camera or its system but just the project name used by Leica while it was still under wraps. These names don’t need to make much sense. Remember Paula, Elena, or Beverly?

• Like 1

I will be very interested to see if the retrofocus 24mm Elmarit-M does well on the T.

I'm sorry, I don't have one (sadly). I have tries the 28 'cron, you might get a little purple shading on bright grey skies wide open, but not a colour shift across the frame. It seems to be sharp to the corners.

I've not done tests like Sean's, partly because I'm lazy, but mostly as I'd rather go out and take photos. THEN if there is something wrong (as there certainly was with the A7r) you know it's actually a problem.

• Like 5

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

I have just got my hands on the Leica T and the Leica T to M mount Adaptor.

A question to those that is also using the M Mount adaptor....what EXIF info is transmitted via the Leica Adaptor when using a compatible lens ? From what I see in LR 5.5 EXIF Metadata on he lens, it shows only Lens : e.g. Summarit, Focal Length : 35mm.

I am looking for the F stop used for a particular shot but unable to find. Can anyone confirm that's the case or I have a faulty adaptor ?

Many thanks

A bit hard for the camera as the lens cannot transmit the aperture. The M series has an extra external lightmeter which gives an approximation, but I don't think the T has that feature.

• Like 1

I have tested all mine Leica mount lenses, and all show at 100% avery good definition.

Leica m Summicron 2.0/35mm,Voigtlander Nokton 1.2/35mm,Voigtlander Color Reliar 2.5MG (portrait),

Zeiss Biogon 2,8/21ZM,Leica R 4.5/80-200mm(with Novoflex adapter- on tripod).

I found no noticable color shifts.

Leica T is for me a camera when using Leica M lenses,a lot off praxis is needed coming from M8 and other systems.

Thanks Yap and Michael for the confirmation. Was wondering why my M can detect the F-stop while the Leica adaptor won't.

I don't think you'll miss it. I don't know about the M(240), but I find the approximation on the M9 and Monochrom pretty much useless.