Looks nice but.....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I don't know but maybe we're kind of at a stage where its back to being all about the box itself (if image quality is going to be somewhat uniform and manufacturers are buying off the shelf sensors from other companies.) Aside of course from the optics, which will give an edge to certain manufacturers just like it did in the film camera days (and where Leica has seemed to have maintained its status, even from the naysayers.) If that's the case then maybe what Leica is trying to accomplish with this new product is probably a good move on their part (it fits them into the 'Contax' sort of position back in the 35mm film era.)

I agree with this in so many ways. Image quality is reaching a plateau due to the larger number of companies buying components from a much smaller set of suppliers. Performance (speed and accuracy) and build/design are distinguishing cameras more than image quality more and more.

The T is a unique combination of simple but customizable interface, robust body construction, and contemporary performance. No one else makes a camera with all those qualities. It's not my ideal camera, but I can definitely see its qualities, and would not mind getting into the T system once the dust settles.

There are also two very important factors for someone considering buying T:

1. Leica insists in the optical image purity and accuracy. For this they forget all about unstable OIS platforms and hocus pocus magical tidbits like software filters for cleaning the image. It's a camera that is a sand box, and this is a huge differentiation factor when one tries to compare with the competition. Filters and junk of this kind will give you an easy headstart but they will eventually not allow you to move any further.

2. Lenses: the optical excellence will sure payoff...

A camera made out of a solid block of aluminium is a fine choice and bound to be a durable "companion" for decades... or months, as the case may be given the steroid-driven product cycle... or until the obsolescence and irreparability of its digital components.

I'm thinking that my little 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Elmarit-M will look good on the "T" and will take solid quality images!

Hope you're right but the T is not optimized for M lenses seemingly and the 28/2.8 asph is a rather difficult lens on the R-D1 already... My idea was to use the T with little M lenses like CV 15/4.5 & 21/4 and Leica 28/2.8 asph, 35/2 v4, 35/2.5, 40/2 & 50/2.5 but the lack of optimization for M lenses, especially wides, made me postpone my order...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm thinking that my little 28mm f/2.8 ASPH Elmarit-M will look good on the "T" and will take solid quality images!

The Elmarit 28 takes stunning photos on the Ricoh GXR-M, which has the same 1.5x crop factor, and I'm thinking the T will be very similar. It ought to be as good or even better, what with having 16mp vs 12 in the GXR-M and better high ISO performance.

Speaking of which, the GXR-M has offset microlenses on the sensor to help deal with vignetting from rangefinder lenses, much in the same way that the M9 and M240. Although there is nothing in the T announcements to suggest it has the same, I'm hoping that the T's performance with RF lenses is at least as good.

Hope you're right but the T is not optimized for M lenses seemingly and the 28/2.8 asph is a rather difficult lens on the R-D1 already... My idea was to use the T with little M lenses like CV 15/4.5 & 21/4 and Leica 28/2.8 asph, 35/2 v4, 35/2.5, 40/2 & 50/2.5 but the lack of optimization for M lenses, especially wides, made me postpone my order...

Interesting that the Elmarit 28 is a bit difficult on the R-D1. It's great on the GXR-M. I also use the CV 15/4.5 on the GXR-M, and the Zeiss 21/2.8, 25/2.8, among others, and I don't have problems with them at all. Hint: get a GXR-M module and body while they are still around. Well worth it if you don't mind the aps-c crop.

I hesitated to order a Ricoh but i may well follow your advice if the T does not work well with M wides. Now Sean Reid says he's got good results with the CV 21/4 which is even more difficult on the R-D1 so all hope is not lost so far.

• Like 1

........I'm hoping that the T's performance with RF lenses is at least as good.

This is the absolutely critical thing for me. As another small camera it is OK, pretty enough and no doubt very capable, but the thing that will set it apart will be if it is a genuinely good body for both Leica AF and M lenses. This could make it a very attractive proposition indeed, especially to many existing M users.

• Like 3

Since the new T interface is all software all the time, Leica is going to have to step up in terms of software and firmware updates and patches. A glitch that may have been a mere annoyance previously could be a real problem in the field now. With the addition of the wi-fi interface, there's no reason not to have a software update feature rather than the awkward "load it on a card, then insert the card and hope it works" update system currently used.

Buyers may yearn for simplicity in the interface and ease of use, but I for one don't tolerate buggy programs for very long, no matter how pretty the box is that they came in.

Cheers,

Mike

• Like 2

Since the new T interface is all software all the time, Leica is going to have to step up in terms of software and firmware updates and patches. A glitch that may have been a mere annoyance previously could be a real problem in the field now. With the addition of the wi-fi interface, there's no reason not to have a software update feature rather than the awkward "load it on a card, then insert the card and hope it works" update system currently used.

Buyers may yearn for simplicity in the interface and ease of use, but I for one don't tolerate buggy programs for very long, no matter how pretty the box is that they came in.

Cheers,

Mike

The interface will be a defining factor for a modern market. Apple succeeded because of the software that "just works" this adds value beyond the aluminium and chips. The large screen is great for sharing the result and now you can send as well. Fortunately there is a market for quality with convenience. Some say vinyl and valves are the only way to quality sound but how many would insist on the car sound system based on this!

• Like 1

My but: for me it is too small in proportion to the lenses, let alone that you put your Noctilux on it

Why would anyone even consider putting such a huge lens on the Leica T camera? It is inappropriate, even stupid! Are you begging for ridicule? Well you got it. Visit the reality beyond the keyboard. NUTZ!

Sent from my Etcha-sketch.

Why would anyone even consider putting such a huge lens on the Leica T camera? It is inappropriate, even stupid! Are you begging for ridicule? Well you got it. Visit the reality beyond the keyboard. NUTZ!

I presume you are joking.

I don't follow this reasoning. How is there a connection between the size of the lens and the size of the body? Doesn't a 1000mm lens dwarf a DSLR also?

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

It's about the bokeh. No other APS-C camera can touch a T with a Noctilux on it. ;)

Why is a BMW 5 better then a Vauxhall/Opel Insignia ?

You decide

The EOS-M is not the best comparison

Probably the Fuji X-E2 and 18-55mm which is only half the price and plastic. Plus we have yet to see the edge performance of the Leica zoom measured and the micro-contrast recorded,but if it's like the X-Vario it's worth paying for. How much ? Individuals will decide ?

Audi and BMW more then survive, technically only slightly better then Ford and Opel for double the price !!

(I am a past customer of BMW - just saying)

Well, unlike the T which has the same sensor as a $300 Sony NEX, the BMW 5 Series does not have the same engine as a Vauxhall/Opel Insignia.

• Like 1