Looks nice but.....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

£2700 for a body and 22mm lens, compared to £499 for a Canon EOS-M (with free flashgun, EF lens adaptor and tripod)........Canon EOS M Black Digital Camera with 22mm f2 Lens and EF Adapter (6609B065AA) - Wex Photographic

I'm struggling to see why the Leica is worth spending an additional £2200 on.

I'm sure you will be delighted with your new bright yellow T.

:D

Nice for Harrods

Customising my Fuji

X Signature Skins - Accessories | The Fuji Shop

;)

Hi There

As I said at the beginning of the report - if you're doing a price/performance/checklist kind of an operation you certainly wouldn't buy it . . or an M . . . or an Audi or a Rolex come to that.

But whilst everyone else is making cameras 'look' retro, and piling more and more functions into the menus, it seems to me that Leica have simply cut the cr@p - thrown out the whole lot and produced a camera with two buttons and two dials . . . . .

Regardless of the target market or feature checklist, getting rid of excessive buttons and tangled menus is very appealing and I hope Leica will apply this approach to future models.

• Like 13

....................As I said at the beginning of the report - if you're doing a price/performance/checklist kind of an operation you certainly wouldn't buy it . . or an M . . . or an Audi or a Rolex come to that. ............

But whilst everyone else is making cameras 'look' retro, and piling more and more functions into the menus, it seems to me that Leica have simply cut the cr@p - thrown out the whole lot and produced a camera with two buttons and two dials . . . . .

.....whether Leica can refine this into a camera that ticks the boxes as well as the senses is a different matter - let's hope so.............

Well said Jono, and I've no doubt that the T will be refined over time. I expect that Leica already have further iterations in mind in order to evolve the new system in the medium to long term.

• Like 2

To me at least - this is not a camera for photographers, it is deliberately pitched as an object of desire for rich collectors or the person who wants it just because it's expensive and they can afford it.

On the spec it looks to be rather mediocre as a picture maker and other than bragging rights I personally see no use whatsoever for it.

If Leica can persuade a few people to buy it then good on them as I suppose the profits will go to keep Leica afloat and still making proper cameras that the masses can almost afford to buy.

Now that rings a bell… Oh yes, the X1Vario! :D

So, a mini M camera which allows me to mount my M lenses with EVF costs, in the UK, £1350 for the camera, £400 for the EVF and £300 for the M to T mount, £2050.

I quite like the idea of mounting a 24mm Elmar M to give a 35mm equivalent and a 35mm Summicron M to give a 50mm but just as with the M8, you struggle to go wide.

Wish the EVF had been built in.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Personally I think the M8.2 was and is the best Digital M...just my view.

Have however often wished for a smaller M to take my collection of old M and LTM lenses.

The T camera offers additionally nothing compared to the M8.2 from what I see, but I haven't had the time to read the spec in detail to be honest.

Would be very interested as to what it offers compared to the M8

I have this funny feeling I really am missing something....seriously.

thanks for feedback

andy

• Like 1

I am somewhat attracted to the T as a companion to my MP. I still mainly shoot BW film and print in a darkroom. However, my family prefers photo books with color pictures -- much easier with digital. Buying an M is an option, but I loathe the idea of carrying two Leica rangefinders on vacation.

Also, I mainly use 50mm (Lux and Cron). I figure the T will allow me to finally put to use the 35mm cron sitting in the closet!

• Like 1

Hi There

As I said at the beginning of the report - if you're doing a price/performance/checklist kind of an operation you certainly wouldn't buy it . . or an M . . . or an Audi or a Rolex come to that.

Mind you - although you'll lose some resolution against the competitors, I really don't think you lose much in terms of IQ (or anything unless we're talking A7r).

But I challenge anyone to pick one up with impunity - it's like picking up an iPhone next to Sony smartphone from 10 years ago. The Sony worked just as well as a phone . . but it was plasticky and bendy, and rather uncouth in comparison.

I guess each of us has something important it's missing (I'd have liked IBIS and weather sealing).

But - rather like the iPhone, this is a quantum leap in terms of interface and design - whether Leica can refine this into a camera that ticks the boxes as well as the senses is a different matter - let's hope so.

I've not decided yet whether I'm going to pay the piper, but I'm sorely tempted.

At the very least it's a brave move, and if you succumb to the wants I don't think you'll be disappointed by the IQ

Perfectly said!

If you are happy with the Canon M, don't even consider the Leica T, but you get what you pay for. The Leica is a piece of art, that will be a joy to use. I personally don't enjoy the Canon M...I actually returned mine the day it arrived at launch. As Jono said, If you are comparing specs alone you would also buy a Timex over a Rolex...personally the later brings more enjoyment. Everyone will have their own preference. I see the T as a perfect companion to my M, and can't wait for mine to arrive at the end of May.

• Like 1

I must say I am disappointed by the looks. Leica meets iPad/iPhone?

I was hoping for something which looked like a X/XVario and took M lenses and cost a bit less than an M body.

Why introduce a new lens range?

Also puzzled as to why the prime lens costs more than the zoom.

In the past prime lenses were cheaper than zooms.

Sorry, this won't be tempting me away from my present Digilux 3, V-Lux 3 or X1. I was looking to rationalise down to two cameras - but not yet! Keep on waiting and saving. By the time I retire I might then just by that M!

John

Jesus Wept

It's an outstanding piece of industrial design with probably the best user interface available in any camera ever.

And it's a Leica with outstanding image quality and versatility.

Do I need to spell it out - quality costs more than the global mediocrity norm.

Sheesh

• Like 10

Always so many moaners.

What is wrong with people *shrugs*

Unfortunately this is often the nature with camera forums. Fortunately, there are people who have the ability to write about their real life experiences with a camera and even offer some constructive criticism.

My only complaint is about my bank account.;)

If I lived near a good camera store, I'd definitely be stopping in to see this new Leica T.

P.S. Yes - I enjoyed your T gallery as well, Jono. Thanks so much for your very helpful impressions - and photos!

• Like 1

It is a Leica. Nuff said...

With respect, though, Jaap, is that enough said? It seems Leica launches this system to reach into other parts of the market. I think many will wonder if the T is really so much better than what is already out there.