Looks nice but.....

Advertisement (gone after registration)

£2700 for a body and 22mm lens, compared to £499 for a Canon EOS-M (with free flashgun, EF lens adaptor and tripod)........Canon EOS M Black Digital Camera with 22mm f2 Lens and EF Adapter (6609B065AA) - Wex Photographic

I'm struggling to see why the Leica is worth spending an additional £2200 on.

• Like 3

+1

I'm sure I'm way off base, but what will this "T" have that an NEX-7 doesn't have that justifies the huge premium? At the end of the day there is a lot to do about the sensor. What makes this cropped sensor so much better than Sony's 24MP??

I hope they haven't stock piled too many as with the exception of the few that will have to buy one "because it's a Leica" this is nothing special at all. I was so looking forward to something truly great and innovative. I think they've taken on Hasselblad with the lunar

• Like 1

It is a Leica. Nuff said...

Yes, it has the glamour of the Leica badge. But even that is only worth so much....

Much is being made of the unibody design and comparison to Apple Macbooks. But an Apple isn't an average spec Windows machine just wrapped in Aluminum.

• Like 6

It is a Leica. Nuff said...

Jaap - call me the next time you're in NYC as I have some bridges to sell you :) :).

My question regarding the sensor was actually serious, so would be grateful for any insights..

I hope they haven't stock piled too many as with the exception of the few that will have to buy one "because it's a Leica" this is nothing special at all. I was so looking forward to something truly great and innovative. I think they've taken on Hasselblad with the lunar

It is a luxury, prestige product. Consider the Japan and Asian markets, then the rest of the world. I predict it will be a huge hit.

• Like 1

£2700 for a body and 22mm lens, compared to £499 for a Canon EOS-M (with free flashgun, EF lens adaptor and tripod)........Canon EOS M Black Digital Camera with 22mm f2 Lens and EF Adapter (6609B065AA) - Wex Photographic

I'm struggling to see why the Leica is worth spending an additional £2200 on.

Why is a BMW 5 better then a Vauxhall/Opel Insignia ?

You decide

The EOS-M is not the best comparison

Probably the Fuji X-E2 and 18-55mm which is only half the price and plastic. Plus we have yet to see the edge performance of the Leica zoom measured and the micro-contrast recorded,but if it's like the X-Vario it's worth paying for. How much ? Individuals will decide ?

Audi and BMW more then survive, technically only slightly better then Ford and Opel for double the price !!

(I am a past customer of BMW - just saying)

Edited by colonel
  • Like 2

I happen to like the design, minimalist approach, and more modern feel (looking at the pictures) in comparison to the aforementioned competitors. Since I have fallen back to film with my M4 and M6, the question I have is how does it work (focus) with an M lens attached? Could be good enough to let go of my M9 and use the T instead. Can you manually code in a lens?

After all, today the camera itself has moved from a lightbox transporting film to being about the quality of the sensor and related software. Indeed, for those of you comparing red badge to Fuji, Sony, etc, it was an even more relevant comparison in the film days (what was the difference when the critical interaction was the lens and the film as long as speed, etc were correct? yes we made them).

If the T is good enough relative to the M9 even though a cropped sensor, why not swap?

• Like 1

I

If the T is good enough relative to the M9 even though a cropped sensor, why not swap?

Because the sensor is (I) cropped and (ii) cmos rather than the unique ccd

To be clear, I am not poo pooing this new product. I a just trying to gather info to figure out what makes it different from a sony nex-7 from a performance standpoint. Ergonomics and build quality (including German vs Asian, please no offense to Asians) are very important to a significant extent. But all of Leica's German-made products have until now been backed-up by superior performance relative to the competition. It makes some commercial sense to charge a huge premium attributable to build quality in order to obtain superior unmatched performance.

But w/o the superior performance.....:eek:

• Like 1

Why does a macbook cost 1000-2000 Euro and a Lenovo Laptop or Acer only 500 Euro?

Same applies for Leica or am I wrong?:confused:

John

I used to have those 700 - 1000 euro HP and Compaq laptops for work. Utter rubbish and batteries died on me almost every year. Back then I switched to Apple and never looked back.

Now I could also have got myself a better laptop, but those would be priced the same as my mbp.

So the T is an expensive camera. Is it worth its money? I don't know, but I'm curieus how it handles and how the photos look.

Now that the dust begins to settle, time will tell what the market thinks of the Leica T.

I can only speak for myself and I was interested if it might be a back-up / addition to my M9s. Or if I look for the upcoming Sony A7s. Right now I postpone any decision until I have tested the Sony with FF and 12 MP.

Bill

MFT cameras are rubbish any way but I would prefer to carry a Leica rubbish. its a tiny bit less rubbish, at least it looks good. End of may i get mine with M adapter :D

I'm Leica blind buyer and never regret, even if its extremely shitty camera I would sell it get all the money back :D

• Like 2