T Lens Manufacturer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Regarding AF, I also read somewhere that it was Leica who came up with AF lenses way back when and sold the patent to some company in Japan. So does that not mean that Leica has some experience and knowledge with AF lenses?

A long, long time ago, in the 60s and 70s, Leica did indeed invent an autofocus technology (Correfot) that was a predecessor of today’s phase-detection technology. They even showcased a working prototype at photokina 1976 and 1978. Leica’s technology wasn’t ready for primetime though and as they failed to realise its potential, they eventually sold the IP to Minolta.

While the AF system of the S (Correfot 2) got named after its predecessor, it was a completely new development. Also the AF sensor itself was sourced from a third party (which I believe has never been officially disclosed although I think many people know who it is). Anyway, ever since the launch of the S2 Leica can claim to have some experience with AF lenses for phase-detection systems. The lenses designed for Panasonic and also the lenses for the X models support a contrast-based AF, so Leica can claim some experience in that area too (phase-detection and contrast-based AF systems have different demands).

• Like 3

A long, long time ago, in the 60s and 70s [... Snip helpful information]

Long, long time ago? As in Star Wars? OMG, that makes some kind of depressing sense!

I hope that your references to the Sixties as 'long ago' are simply benign historical references and not innuendo intended to alienate some of us Olde Pharts. I sense you are a long suffering, intelligent, informed and trusted man probably prematurely aged so I suspend judgement - for now.

Sent from my Etcha-sketch.

There are hundreds of Asian optical companies capable of making camera lenses - it's a cottage industry in some Asian countries.

B2Bmanufactures.com

Camera Lens Manufacturers, Camera Lens Suppliers

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Category:Japanese_lens_makers

Take your pick

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

I hope that your references to the Sixties as 'long ago' are simply benign historical references and not innuendo intended to alienate some of us Olde Pharts.

In the Sixties I wasn’t much of a photographer (but I was trying), and thanks to my father I had a rough grasp of concepts such as shutter speed and aperture. But I don’t think that ‘Leica’ would have rung a bell back then.

Or it is an old photo ... ;)

And I enjoy your contributions too, Michael.

Sometimes when the threads get too long I just scan for posters I respect. One of which is you ...

Many thanks!

And I enjoy your contributions too, Michael.

Sometimes when the threads get too long I just scan for posters I respect. One of which is you ...

Many thanks!

Or a photo not of him... ;) (I think Pico is NOT a dog, and my daughter even doesn't resembles myself... :p)

+ 1 for your words on Michael : one of the best here around.

Or a photo not of him... ;) (I think Pico is NOT a dog, and my daughter even doesn't resembles myself... :p)

+ 1 for your words on Michael : one of the best here around.

Oh No . . don't tell me that Pico isn't a dog . . I don't think I could bear it!

• Like 1

Or a photo not of him... ;) (I think Pico is NOT a dog.

Oh yes I am a dog: a Great Pyrenees, 185 pounds, 34" at the shoulder, and .:. I died of old-age in 2010 at 14 years-old. Thanks to the Internet I exist.

Please do not burst my bubble.

• Like 1

If you really must know, here’s a more recent one taken just a few weeks ago:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Me and my human keeper, the One and Only Molly McGuire in year 2000.

Taken with a $15 plastic camera.

I am the dog.

Edited by pico
  • Like 5

Very good. I am guessing you are about 55 years old today. If not, then ...

Aha! Well, you can only continue to improve with age, Michael.

BTW looks like some party -- you are the only one who can still stand up straight :D

HI Michael

that's really worrying - all those other people have baby soft faces, and you STILL have wrinkles . . what must you be like without the soft focus?!

:p

Looking good (at least 30)

Me and my human keeper, the One and Only Molly McGuire in year 2000.

Taken with a $15 plastic camera.

I am the dog.

Phew, that's a relief - I thought it would turn out you were just pretending to be a dog . . and my world would have fallen apart.

:)

• Like 1