T Lens Manufacturer

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leica is world-leading in lens design, Japanese optical companies are world-leading in efficient production methods. Is it really a bad thing to combine the two? Quite the opposite I would say.

• Like 4

My surmise (isn't this thread all surmise) is that the lack of disclosure of source is intended to protect Leica's existing Japanese partner, Panasonic, from embarrassment at not having been selected as the source. This is especially logical if the supplier is Sony as Panasonic and Sony have an intense rivalry going back decades.

My surmise (isn't this thread all surmise) is that the lack of disclosure of source is intended to protect Leica's existing Japanese partner, Panasonic, from embarrassment at not having been selected as the source. This is especially logical if the supplier is Sony as Panasonic and Sony have an intense rivalry going back decades.

The barrel diameter of the vario-elmar and electrical contacts are almost identical to the new sony E mount 35/2.8 ....... :rolleyes:

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

The lenses are still *designed* and specified by Leica regardless of who the manufacturer is.

I get the feeling from some statements that some people are under the mistaken impression that leica is putting their name on another manufacturer's lenses.

The way out-of-house manufacturing works is you send a CAD file with material specifications and tolerances to a manufacturer and they build it. Period.

Edited by Carbon111

I think people are kind of missing the point, or don't really understand what outsourcing manufacturing is all about.

As an example, my company makes many high precision parts for numerous aerospace and electronics companies...all we do is make the parts to the customer's specifications, period. A manufacturer does not design the parts, they merely machine and assemble things to their client's detailed specifications, including exact materials and measurements as provided through 3D CAD files and engineering drawings.

The lenses are "Leica lenses" regardless of where they are made or by who.

I agree. I doesn't matter who makes them as long as they're competent. Say it is Sigma (for example), assuming they had the design specified (or not, but in this case it has been), who's to say they couldn't produce the best lens in the world? The problem would be that it would cost more, and who's going to buy a $2k 23/2 for crop sensor mirrorless cameras? Slap a Leica label on it and away we go...

Michael

Leica just doesn't want the manufacturer to have bragging rights of "we are so good that we make lenses for Leica." And then they market their own branded lenses. And I understand it si not a branded producer now.

• 1 year later...

I am happy with the quality of the lenses for the T, who ever manufactures  them , they render outstanding image quality , they are well constructed,

they are not too heavy and large , they feel good in the (my) hand , they are smooth to focus with the right amount of resistance, I say kudos to Leica

for the design, and kudos to who ever manufactures them.

I have the 23mm , 11-23 , 18-56 and the 55 - 135 , I am on the pre-order list for the 35 and 60 mm, which I expect to be fantastic lenses .

• Like 4

I am happy with the quality of the lenses for the T, who ever manufactures  them , they render outstanding image quality , they are well constructed,

they are not too heavy and large , they feel good in the (my) hand , they are smooth to focus with the right amount of resistance, I say kudos to Leica

for the design, and kudos to who ever manufactures them.

Fully agree. It is not of importance to me who the manufacturer is.