Leica T - Impressions and Images

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+ 1 on thanks for the review, and I echo the comments above, sc_rufctr in particular. Although, having just bought the M, I cannot justify another camera, however, another thought is that it may bring more distributors back to Leica, and maybe even more new distributors. We lost a major Brisbane dealer last year, and in other parts of the country there is not a red dot to be seen.

Hobart has an excellent Leitz survey equipment and Canikon camera gear store, but they cannot sell the M as they do not have the market.

More dealers will of course make returns and service far simpler for many of us who are away from the major centers.

Well done all concerned :cool:

• Like 4

Any questions or comments . . . fire away!

Jono,

first of all thank you for the review and for the gallery.

I have just one question, namely the 18-56 zoom looks very similar a design to the lens of the X Vario, with just 1/2 stop a difference. Did you note if there's a similar in-camera distortion correction as with the X Vario, namely jpegs out of camera being already corrected but lots of distortion to be found in the DNGs, especially at the wider end?

Thanks in advance,

Bruno

I´ve now had some time to run through the various reviews. What a brilliant camera!

I really think it stands above the aps-c competition. Leica has always been a premium product, that´s in the DNA of the brand. That means premium prices, self evidently. But to keep this position, Leica has to deliver, of course. This really is a genuine premium product in terms of design, built quality and the brilliant new user interface. I think, its a camera that points to the future of what a modern camera should be like. And there are plenty of ways and possibilities Leica can take it from here. But for the first generation of the T, this is very thought through and also elaborated with lots of nice accesories ect. To me, it is much, much more convincing than the X - cameras that seemed more like ordinary products, rebadget. Perhaps Leica hasnt come up with new technology in this camera, but they have combined all the right ingredients just the right way. I think it will be a huge succes.

From me, a big, standing applause to Leica for this. I think there is reason to be optimistic on behalf of Leica and its future - just think where they were, less than a decade ago.

• Like 10

I enjoyed your report, Jono, and the photos are fabulous, as always.

I think Leica may have hit the spot with the T. I applaud the creative thinking that went into it. I’m sure they know their market rather better than they are sometimes given credit for. It’s a cleverly designed camera for the generation of consumers who have grown up with the digital experience. The M8, I recall, was seen as a digital version of a film camera. The T is a product which, by concept and design, takes Leica fully into the digital age.

All the best to Scarlett Rose and her family!

• Like 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Please explane and show us how you mount the R Lens on the T... Would love to see a pic

thanks Alexander

Hi Alexander

I fit an M/R adapter to the lens, and a T/M adapter to the body-both are good and tight and it works well.

I'd love an R adapter that read the ROM information - and I've said so too!

Bruno - I haven't looked at the DNG files in anything which doesn't do the corrections - but I understand that there are some opcodes for lens correction.

Hi DigitalHeMan - the 28 'cron is a catastrophe on the Sony A7r . . . .but it's fine on the T.

all the best time for tea

• Like 3

Bruno - I haven't looked at the DNG files in anything which doesn't do the corrections - but I understand that there are some opcodes for lens correction.

The blurb quite categorically states the lenses are 'optically corrected' which I assume implies no in-camera manipulation.

The XV has quite marked barrel distortion on wide settings which is corrected in JPG and DNG in LR (and most other processors).

• Like 2

Jono & thighslapper,

thank you. In the meantime I did some further homework with some DNG files I got, courtesy of lct who posted the link: Features - More hands-on Leica T impressions plus camera JPEG and DNG RAW samples - Digital Photography Now

Based on what I can see, there is some distortion at the wider end, but it's not as pronounced as with the X Vario.

Cheers,

Bruno

• Like 1

Well Jono, now I know why you were so positive on an APS-C camera, even before or after you returned the Sony and repurchased one I guess. Hard to keep up with your favorite kit right now.

Hi there Lou

I hope you're well.

Was I positive on an APS-C camera? Perhaps. LIke most of us I change my mind sometimes.

The difficulty is that all the cameras around now are pretty good - I'd hate to be too obvious though :)

Well I must say that if any camera will encourage one to change his mind it could easily be by using the T.

After just messing with it yesterday for maybe 15-20 minutes, I have changed my mind and will try one. Like you say an AF camera is good to have for casual snaps (and more perhaps).

If I leave home with and M and 3 M lenses and that T body I suddenly have 6 lenses.

Did you have a chance to put on a silicon body cover versus the leather protector? Just wondering which would afford a better level of grip?

• Like 1

Hi There

I've had a Leica T for a little while now, and I've done a writeup on it, together with some images.

Taifun - the Leica T

There is a gallery of images here:

Any questions or comments . . . fire away!

What a wonderful review, images and details, such as about the batter and pop up flash that don't seem to be covered by Leica.

Best of luck for the Scarletts Cyclers fund-raising effort as well!

• Like 1

I have just played with the one in Manchester.

Very impressed indeed. It feels brilliant in the hand. The EVF works very well and the screen is excellent (indoors)

Very tempted.

Well, when I did the same I was able to resist everything, except the temptation.

The photo-taking experience is as pleasurable as the initial impression would suggest, and the resultant images are first-rate.

• Like 3

Well, when I did the same I was able to resist everything, except the temptation.

The photo-taking experience is as pleasurable as the initial impression would suggest, and the resultant images are first-rate.

You're a lucky man John - I guess you might have one of only 10 out in the wild!

• Like 1

Jono

Do you imagine that Leica will make FW changes that allow the T-M adapter to help the T make M lens corrections like on M cameras? The f 0.0 reading also bothers me while using M lenses. Can't they incorporate f stop estimates like on M cameras for EXIF data? Thanks for any comment.

Jono

Do you imagine that Leica will make FW changes that allow the T-M adapter to help the T make M lens corrections like on M cameras? The f 0.0 reading also bothers me while using M lenses. Can't they incorporate f stop estimates like on M cameras for EXIF data? Thanks for any comment.

Hi There Lou

Certainly the EXIF information is not yet complete - there are several fields not filled in, but it doesn't mean they aren't calculating it.

I must say, I haven't seen any problems with any of the M lenses I've tried, so that I don't think corrections are necessary. (assuming that they aren't already making corrections).

All the best

• Like 1