Leica T - Impressions and Images

Good work, Jono. Michael Reichmann has posted a review on Luminous-Landscape.com.

Your images are terrific. Michael's are not so much, but he does have an ISO comparison that is worthwhile. Nick Rains also has a beta review. I like his take on the camera and his images.

• Like 2

The more I read the more this camera makes sense (in terms of Leica models)

The 'modern' touch screen, quality robust build and positioning within their range, it's like BMW or Porsche adding an obvious after the event model, or apple - ipad anyone ?. It's differentiated IMO by offering a 'bridge' between iPhone and M, I must say quite clever.

The X still fits as this feels somehow more discrete as a model and is not in my view eroded.

Why would anyone but another APSC camera to support Leica glass at this price point ? I hope you have enough people to hand polish all those orders :cool:

I can see a business case for a computer controlled 3D polishing machine coming on !

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Good work, Jono. Michael Reichmann has posted a review on Luminous-Landscape.com.

Your images are terrific. Michael's are not so much, but he does have an ISO comparison that is worthwhile. Nick Rains also has a beta review. I like his take on the camera and his images.

There's plenty of the familiar sunny overweight festival/event goers in close proximity at f8 on Sean's site ;) (sorry just kidding, amazing how many circus/shows/farming events there are over there !)

• Like 1

Jono,

Thanks for posting that and images up to their usual standard. I see you show the new EVF. Is this a Leica reworking of the Olympus VF-4? I ask as I already have a VF-4 and it would be nice to be able to use it. I note the new Leica EVF has a diopter adjustment on the side just like the VF-4.

Wilson

• Like 1

Hi There - thank you

I haven't seen Michael's report yet, of course, I'm not really doing a 'review', because that isn't my job.

Seems to be going down quite well, a better experience than the X-Vario launch!

all the best

• Like 1

Jono,

Thanks for posting that and images up to their usual standard. I see you show the new EVF. Is this a Leica reworking of the Olympus VF-4? I ask as I already have a VF-4 and it would be nice to be able to use it. I note the new Leica EVF has a diopter adjustment on the side just like the VF-4.

Wilson

Hi Wilson

I hope you're well.

It's not the same as the VF-4 - at least, I think it is the same panel (and the same as the one in the Sony A7 and the Fuji X-T. But the connector is quite different (much better I think).

all the best

• Like 2

Thanks, Jono - any observations on the touch screen usability in bright sun, or when using polarized sunglasses? My X2 isn't so good outside in that regard.

Cheers,

Mike

HI Mike

don't have no polaroids!

It isn't perfect, but it's quite good (as is the EVF) - we took it skiing, and that was okay (could it be more difficult than that?

all the best

Jono

• Like 3

Jono, thank you so much for your well written and informative review - and your photographs. This is a very interesting camera and I'll be looking forward to reading more...and seeing other photographer's reactions, as well. (I did read all but Sean Reid's review).

Most of all, I'm so glad to read how well your lovely granddaughter Scarlett Rose Slack is doing!

• Like 1

Very helpful overview, if not a review!

A couple of questions:

- Did you find the lack of focus peaking to be a problem? I wonder if focus peaking is a neat bit of technology that loses it's attraction after a bit of use (which is my experience with the M), and Leica has decided to ditch it.

- The T looks eminently pocketable. Was it so with the 21mm lens? Were you able to try it with the small 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH? That combination has my current pocketable camera (Ricoh GRD4) looking at me nervously.

Hi There

Very helpful overview, if not a review!

A couple of questions:

- Did you find the lack of focus peaking to be a problem? I wonder if focus peaking is a neat bit of technology that loses it's attraction after a bit of use (which is my experience with the M), and Leica has decided to ditch it.

I don't think that's why they've ditched it, I suspect it's more to do with processor power. But no, I don't find it a problem. To be honest, if I'm using manual focus lenses these days I usually just focus on the 'ground glass' EVF - whatever the camera - there seems to be a shimmer when something is in focus, It works for me, so I don't miss the focus peaking and I don't often zoom in.

- The T looks eminently pocketable. Was it so with the 21mm lens? Were you able to try it with the small 28mm Elmarit-M ASPH? That combination has my current pocketable camera (Ricoh GRD4) looking at me nervously.

It's certainly coat pocketable with the 23mm and with the 35 summarit. But it's not as small as your GRD4

all the best

• Like 2

Is there a menu option to select M lens profiles for use with the adapter?

Hi There

No - I'm not sure how much (or how little) profiling is done with 6 bit coded lenses, but I suspect that it's not very much. I think you'd find anything you cared to fit on it would work just fine (but of course, you don't get lens information in the exif if the lens isn't coded)

all the best

• Like 1

I recon they've "hit it out of the park" with this thing.

It's beautiful and only Leica would dare build a camera like this. Full one piece alloy body??? Who does that besides Leica?

No short cuts and the lenses regardless of who put them together are 100% Leica IMO.

Will it sell? I hope it does but time will tell. However if it doesn't I'd be very surprised.

Meanwhile I'll be ordering one as soon as they're available locally.

• Like 6