T pricing

is workforce in japan really that much cheaper than in portugal or germany? i feel not, but im not an economist.

Tim,

Longer working hours and higher productivity in Japan. Also we do not know how many of the components and sub-assemblies are made in China.

Wilson

Tim,

Longer working hours and higher productivity in Japan. Also we do not know how many of the components and sub-assemblies are made in China.

Wilson

Higher productivity because apparently they are permitted to massacre effigies of their managers as and when required ;)

dunk

• Like 1

A well known London Leica dealer once mentioned that Leica UK (the former Milton Keynes Leica HQ) used unsold Leica S1 digital scanning cameras as door stops … probably warehouse door stops because the cases (complete with control units) measured 3ft x 3ft a 2ft … and they weighed a ton ;)

dunk

Edited by dkpeterborough

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Back to T pricing.

When I told my wife of the US1850 price for the body, she said, "Wow, That's very low for Leica so I must assume you are getting one?" Love that woman.

Commiserations that your wife is knowledgeable about Leica prices…:p

• Like 2

This might be true of a sensor measured in photon widths but in the real world it sounds like bollocks.

In the real world I have observed far more colour detail and less noise from a FF sensor then a M4/3s sensor at the same f stop supposedly made from the same technology silicon

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Zitat:

Zitat von Tim Delbeck

is workforce in japan really that much cheaper than in portugal or germany? i feel not, but im not an economist.

"

No, most likely not. According to a recent TV report, long term workers at the Leica factory in Portugal are paid well compared to other Portugese jobs (~28000$) but worse than in Wetzlar (~50000$). Japanese workers are propably somewhere in-between (I've heard something between 30-40000$ but bonuses vary and smaller companies propably pay less).

But it all says very little about actual productivity. I doubt this location decision was about hourly wages.

I just saw on the Blog that the body will cost 1500 Euro - now that is a pricepoint where I could consider it as a real backup for the M.

a ' real backup ' for anything is a second one of the same type;

For me, a ' real backup ' for my M8 is an M8. For an ME is another ME.

Atrocious price point ( + the cost of them lenses ) for a less than mediocre product that I shall

not bother to handle.

To others, it maybe the one to pair with an Audi..a must purchase. Of course, the Apple unibody design and the Sony sensor. Crop sensor photographic Nirvana!

The whole rationale for going in to Portugal in the first place was that Portuguese costs were much lower than German cost at the time. I expect the re-distributive nature of the EU means that is no longer the case. The Portuguese economy seems to be in marginally better shape these days than that of its Iberian neighbours.

But if you assume all this sanding of the body is done in Germany at $50k a year, double for overheads, something like $60/hour which makes the cost of that sanding $45; could be as much as 10% of the manufacturing cost. Someone thinks it's worth it...

Edited by marknorton

But if you assume all this sanding of the body is done in Germany at $50k a year, double for overheads, something like $60/hour which makes the cost of that sanding $45; could be as much as 10% of the manufacturing cost. Someone thinks it's worth it...

I know the video shows a white-coated technician in some kind of clean lab environment but I imagine the reality is rather different. It's a job that could by done by anyone on virtually minimum wage and I suspect that you could probably halve your figures at least, even accounting for German labour taxes, etc.

I am not convinced that the production process of the T-chassis is state-of-the-art - by optimizing the machining process an implenting a robotic polishing system (easily applicable in Wetzlar) they could do it more efficiently. I even doubt that the machining or polishing is done outside of the Portugal factory?!

@Wattsy

Just looked it up: even the lowest salary group in Hessen is >40k$

Edited by georg

Australian official price list as of April 2014:

18180 LEICA T (Typ 701) Black *available June 2014 $2,295.00

18181 LEICA T (Typ 701) Silver $2,295.00

11080 VARIO-ELMAR-T 18-56mm/f3.5-5.6 ASPH Lens $2,295.00

11081 SUMMICRON-T 23mm/f2 ASPH Lens $2,495.00

18761 System Case size S, leather, stone grey $400.00

18767 LEICA Visoflex (Typ 020) EVF, black $695.00

18771 LEICA M-Adapter-T $495.00

18772 Lithium-Ion Battery BP-DC13 silver $130.00

18773 Lithium-Ion Battery BP-DC13 black $130.00

18800 Protector leather stone grey T (Typ 701) $140.00

18801 T-SNAP black $120.00

18802 T-SNAP white $120.00

18803 T-SNAP melon-yellow $120.00

18804 T-SNAP orange-red $120.00

18805 T-FLAP silicon grey $50.00

18809 Holster leather stone grey $250.00

18810 Holster aluminium silver $250.00

18811 Neck Strap silicon black $100.00

18812 Neck Strap silicon white $100.00

18813 Neck Strap silicon melon-yellow $100.00

18814 Neck Strap silicon orange-red $100.00

18815 Wrist Strap silicon black $55.00

18816 Wrist Strap silicon white $55.00

18817 Wrist Strap silicon melon-yellow $55.00

18818 Wrist Strap silicon orange-red $55.00

Edited by Archiver

I just saw on the Blog that the body will cost 1500 Euro - now that is a pricepoint where I could consider it as a real backup for the M.

We'll need an expensive adapter to use M mount lenses; wide-angle lenses won't be as wide on the half-frame format.

I take a lot of pictures of architecture on an M9 and use ultra-wide lenses and a 28mm shift lens sometimes. The T won't do this as well as the M9.

Still, a suitably disguised T with a zoom lens would make an excellent holiday snapshot camera:) .

I wonder whether the introduction of this outfit will make the Vario go out of fashion.

Philip

Or lead to lower dealer pricing for the Vario?

Possibly depends on existing stocks of XV and if Leica want to free up production for other cameras. And we do not know for sure where the XV originates from … even though the baseplate reads 'Made in Germany'.

dunk

The whole rationale for going in to Portugal in the first place was that Portuguese costs were much lower than German cost at the time. I expect the re-distributive nature of the EU means that is no longer the case. The Portuguese economy seems to be in marginally better shape these days than that of its Iberian neighbours.

Someone, apparently in the know, mentioned the sanding was done in Portugal prior to the anodizing process.

I know the video shows a white-coated technician in some kind of clean lab environment but I imagine the reality is rather different. It's a job that could by done by anyone on virtually minimum wage and I suspect that you could probably halve your figures at least, even accounting for German labour taxes, etc.

And you could also add a motorized buffing wheel into the mix to speed things up and get an even nicer finish. But even if polishing adds $45 to the cost look at how much marketing weight that provides to the higher cost over a Nex body.