T pricing

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The price is right for the body. I think this will sell well, especially here in Hong Kong / China and other Asian markets. I can foresee this being a hot seller. I'm glad - it should bolster Leica's fortunes, which is great news for M users. I imagine many M users also will buy one at that price.

Have you looked at the price of a Macbook Pro lately? I can get a decent Acer for 350 Euro...

Again, you keep reinforcing my points. Thank you.

Apple has proved to be marketing geniuses, with great products at high price points. I'm not critical of Leica, actually hoping they'll emulate (to a much smaller degree) the Apple success model.

Leica would be foolish IMO to dilute their high price/ high quality (but perceived good value) business approach. The T is low priced by M standards, but high relative to some other company products. And that's fine…I just hope that they are able to distinguish their product and still reach the broader market that they need to reach their targeted 1% share. Otherwise we as Leica customers all suffer in the long run.

Jeff

• Like 3

I do hope that Leica succeed with this one; I am sure they have done their market research. However, just packing my bag for our trip to Paris next week, I am sitting here with my MM and my Fujifilm X-E2 complete with Metabones adapter in front of me and I am not getting that tingling 'perhaps I'll change the X-E2' sensation that I got when the X-T1 was announced a few weeks ago. Not terribly excited by the T I'm afraid :(

Advertisement (gone after registration)

+ 1 (but M adapter and probably EVF must enter into the evaluation... Some news on their prices ? And how much for the "standard" zoom ?)

I have seen the prices somewhere. It's between 700 and 800€ for the adapter and EVF I recall.

This new T might be the answer as a D-Lux upgrade for my wife. It then doubles as backup for my old M8 and lens collection.

Justification and a business case are possible.

Just tell her you are buying one for her birthday present instead of those diamond earrings :)

Wilson

I imagine many M users also will buy one at that price.

Why? I have an M240, and can't imagine why I'd buy the T as well. I'd sooner buy some interesting old glass, perhaps even two at that price.

The initial rumors of a $3000 camera (plus accessories such as EVF and M adapter) were discouraging. But at this body price, I find it tempting, especially since the early reviews don't reveal serious problems with usability or image quality.

I really liked the Ricoh GXR with M module as a 'back up' to the M9, though its one frame every 2 seconds was frustrating.

Jono's observations that M lenses seem to work well with the T are promising. My experience is many of the alternative NEX and similar platforms fall short.

I suppose what I'm looking for is a small form factor alternative camera (to my M/M9) to work well with my considerable M-series lens investment. I'm not interested in buying into yet another camera/lens system, and at least the T seems to work well enough with M lenses and probably better than a NEX, or similar. Otherwise I'd have gotten a NEX-6 or 7 long ago...

how come everybody seems to be so excited about the pricing? As much as I like Leica, I think it's a rip-off: $1.850 Body, $1.950 Summicron lens, $595 Viewfinder, $395 M-Adapter quickly adds up to $4.790, if I add another lens I'm at $6.640....I'm rather going to save up and buy a M240 next to my MM...

It is not the price one can pay for this toy, the question is how good will be the photos one can produce.

Personally I choose the Nikon 1V3 with their 70-300mm lens and the normal 10-30mm because I love to photograph birds and wildlife. Beside that I have the DL6 that is an excellent camera for my needs.

These one I will pass on.

how come everybody seems to be so excited about the pricing? As much as I like Leica, I think it's a rip-off: $1.850 Body, $1.950 Summicron lens, $595 Viewfinder, $395 M-Adapter quickly adds up to $4.790, if I add another lens I'm at $6.640....I'm rather going to save up and buy a M240 next to my MM...

Maybe I should compare prices like you do, as I'm still looking for an excuse to buy a Monochrom...

• Like 1

Steve Huff has said it won't work on the M240. He tried. But I do hope they make a version for the M240 as the current one is so poor in resolution I passed on it (as many others did too).

The current is is far from poor. Could it be improved...yes!!

No reason to pass when you can buy the Olympus model for less than a couple SD cards. I find it indispensable.

I do hope a better version comes along, but until it does I am happy with the VF-2

• Like 2

It is not that much more than I paid for the less impressively engineered Olympus EP-5 of about €1200 last year, although they have come down in price since with discounting. Any news on the EVF? I am hoping it is a Leica badged and rehoused VF-4.

Wilson

Wilson, no such luck. The T Visoflex has a different contact point and would not work on an M. Still waiting for a rebadged VF4, but who knows if they will ever do it.

Wilson, no such luck. The T Visoflex has a different contact point and would not work on an M. Still waiting for a rebadged VF4, but who knows if they will ever do it.

Alan,

My guess is now no. M240 = yesterday’s baby. :(

Wilson

i would preffer a sony A7r as a "Backup" for the M :cool:

The A7r like the T is full of compromises, including a too loud shutter, shutter shake, and dodginess working with many M lenses. I know from trying this as my backup solution. Now the T is very appealing to me even if it is APS-C.

Why? I have an M240, and can't imagine why I'd buy the T as well. I'd sooner buy some interesting old glass, perhaps even two at that price.

Good point. There is major opportunity cost, no question.

There are some situations in which I find I am less likely to take my M. Firstly, some situations where I want an even smaller camera feels more appropriate for discrete "live view" snaps, or close focus (I'm interested to know if the T+2/23 will close focus to say 20cm. I haven't found that spec anywhere. Secondly, for that system to open up a different way to use an M glass collection without the penalties (colour shift, edge smearing, etc) we see on mirror less systems with adapters. Thirdly, sometimes there is no substitute for AF and live view, for quick capture at difficult (ie you'd be a contortionist to use rangefinder approach) angles.

Anytime I feel I can use my M, be it M3, M6, ZIZM, or M240 (90% of the time) I do. But sometimes I use a Sony RX100.

So I am curious as to whether the T could put me in the Leica ecosystem 100% of the time! at full Leica glass quality, while also opening up new creative possibilities for my M glass.

But yes, this isn't RX100 money! So for me this is probably GAS doing the talking.

• Like 1