T pricing

Maybe a good price for folks who hang around here and are used to paying significantly more, but it remains to be seen whether another, different, market exists for folks willing to spend over $2000 for a kit when other companies (Samsung, Sony, et. al) have packages (that at least look similar in form) ranging from $120 to $1000.

Sure, Leica will try to distinguish its product; we'll see how receptive the audience is, and how agile Leica marketing is.

Jeff

Maybe a good price for folks who hang around here and are used to paying significantly more, but it remains to be seen whether another, different, market exists for folks willing to spend over $2000 for a kit when other companies (Samsung, Sony, et. al) have packages (that at least look similar in form) ranging from $120 to $1000.

Sure, Leica will try to distinguish its product; we'll see how receptive the audience is, and how agile Leica marketing is.

Jeff

I guess those folks have no interest in an M to back up ;) p:.

Seriously, I think it is a very acceptable price for a quality camera.

• Like 4

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess those folks have no interest in an M to back up ;) p:.

If I hadn't bought an X100s recently with a number of lenses of the shelf this would have been very tempting. I wonder how good macro is, suspect you will need the T lenses for this ?

Of course you do; that's (half) my point.

For the remaining 1% target share, it might take another forum by Andreas, not another sub-forum here.

Jeff

I agree. That is an impressive pricepoint for Leica!

If I were in the market for another camera, I think I would actually pick it over the Sony A7, which I would never have guessed in the lead up to this announcement.. I was thinking like 3000 would be the price...

Of course, once you really start calculating, it's still very expensive. I mean 600$ for an EVF, quickly carries the price beyond reasonable again. :)

Still... This seems to be a very nice development for Leica. Well done!

• Like 1

The price of the body is an encouraging surprise, but, let's compare to say a Fuji XT-1 or even the full frame Sony A7. The Fuji costs $1700 with the 18-55 lens. It includes an extraordinary built in EVF. So, to compare with the Leica T $1,850 for the body, + $1,750 for the 18-56 lens + $595 for the EVF = $4,195... over 2x the Fuji kit. Also, compared to a Sony A7, which also includes a nice EVF ($1,700) with the Zeiss 24-70 ($1,200) (comparable field of view) = $2,900 .

This is a big premium over two very, very good cameras. Now, in my view, the Fuji zoom lens is disappointing and I would think the Leica lens would be superior and probably superior to the Zeiss/Sony zoom. But, is it $2,000 superior?

As nice as the T looks, and as much as I would love to have one, I just can't see spending $1,000 more than for the Sony A7 and paying 2x what the Fuji would cost. I think most people would agree.

It's a nice camera, beautiful - if a bit reminiscent of a NEX - and if the lenses are good auto focus performers and up to Leica lens quality standards I can see it being a big success for Leica, but it is still just an APS-C ILC like all the others, except at a big premium. I don't see it being much competition for the Fuji, Olympus and Sony ILC's.

• Like 2

It is not that much more than I paid for the less impressively engineered Olympus EP-5 of about €1200 last year, although they have come down in price since with discounting. Any news on the EVF? I am hoping it is a Leica badged and rehoused VF-4.

Wilson

• Like 1

The T Visoflex VF looks completely different and has different contacts. Leica says 2.4-million-dots, Olympus says 2.36-million-dots for the VF-4. Could be a rounding error though ;)

Mike

Mike,

I just had a look on Leica’s website and I agree the contacts look different. If it does not fit on the M240, that will be a disappointment.

Wilson

Of course you do; that's (half) my point.

For the remaining 1% target share, it might take another forum by Andreas, not another sub-forum here.

Jeff

Have you looked at the price of a Macbook Pro lately? I can get a decent Acer for 350 Euro...

• Like 3

Mike,

I just had a look on Leica’s website and I agree the contacts look different. If it does not fit on the M240, that will be a disappointment.

Wilson

Wilson, it won't fit. Leica says about the EVF: "exclusively designed for Leica T". But we can hope. Maybe they serve us one "exclusively designed for Leica M" ;)

Mike

• Like 1

The T Visoflex VF looks completely different and has different contacts. Leica says 2.4-million-dots, Olympus says 2.36-million-dots for the VF-4. Could be a rounding error though ;)

Mike

The Visoflex also does GPS.

Plus it does M mount lenses with the adapter. Wonder when we'll see some comparisons with some M lenses compared to the competition's attempts.

• Like 1

Wilson, it won't fit. Leica says about the EVF: "exclusively designed for Leica T". But we can hope. Maybe they serve us one "exclusively designed for Leica M" ;)

Mike

Steve Huff has said it won't work on the M240. He tried. But I do hope they make a version for the M240 as the current one is so poor in resolution I passed on it (as many others did too).