Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

This does not preclude either making a version with M240 style contacts or alternatively, an iteration of the M240 which has the new contact layout.

Given Leica’s position that the M (Typ 240) cannot handle the demands of a higher resolution EVF, I suppose that only a successor of the current M would support the interface introduced with the T (and thus its EVF etc.). The same probably applies to the next X.

• Like 4

In my opinion this camera is a revolution, just like the iPhone was a revolution in the phones market.

In terms of design, this is a radical change or, if you prefer it, a clever turn of the screw.

Leica has suppressed all unnecessary physical controls.

It does not make any sense the interaction of a physical button or wheel with a passive screen (play, delete, set, iso... ok, up, down, right, left... and so on), when you can do the same on an active screen. More simple, more elegant, better interface. And Leica did this very well (responsive, elegant).

Leica keeps two direct controls in the T, two wheels, the same controls you had in the M and S (aperture and exposure time). In aperture priority you can transfer a different function to one of these wheels (or not).

This is ultra minimalism, but meaningful minimalism. And we will see other cameras with this same philosophy, by Leica and other manufacturers. This is the interface of the future and I would like to see this implemented on a M camera.

Leica has been the first in going so far. It is incredible Sony or Samsung did not see this. But they did not. It was Leica.

Leica's designers should be proud of this seminal innovation.

• Like 15

Leica keeps two direct controls in the T, two wheels, the same controls you had in the M and S (aperture and exposure time). In aperture priority you can transfer a different function to one of these wheels (or not).

When I saw that the first time, it strongly reminded me on the NEX-7 and its Tri-Navi.

This is ultra minimalism, but meaningful minimalism. And we will see other cameras with this same philosophy, by Leica and other manufacturers. This is the interface of the future and I would like to see this implemented on a M camera.

Leica has been the first in going so far. It is incredible Sony or Samsung did not see this. But they did not. It was Leica.

Of course a big move for Leica but for me it goes too far. I prefer a well balanced mixture of menu driven and direct driven controls.

At least the T mount seems to have the potential for more: Taking also a full frame sensor in later models.

I'm on board with [mention=2678383]rosuna[/mention] on the T. The important bit from the T is the innovation in interface for camera design. We've seen quite a few landmark cameras being released in the last year or so (a new format mirrorless full frame camera with interchangeable lenses (A7), a soon to be released seemingly ISOless camera (A7s), a camera that just about everything right (OMD-1)), and it's good to see Leica amongst their ranks.

The model T (<see what I did there) isn't a camera for me, but it is a camera for many. Everyone I know (a biased sample for sure) who is remotely interested in photography, knows about the Leica T. These same people have/had no clue as to the existence of the M series except that Leica makes an old fashioned camera that their friend owns. I hope the T ends up being a success for Leica.

The customers I see for the T are financially comfortable nonprofessionals, not even amateurs, who appreciate elegance. Then at their boundaries are 1000 for each of the comfortable who must think twice before buying one - and they will buy one.

The T is not for professionals, but it is certain a pro will make an article of it.

It's going to be a major contribution to Leica. A new trend has begun.

Sent from my Etcha-sketch.

Edited by pico

The customers I see for the T are financially comfortable nonprofessionals' date=' not even amateurs, who appreciate elegance. Then at their boundaries are 1000 for each of the comfortable who must think twice before buying one - and they will buy one. The T is not for professionals, but it is certain a pro will make an article of it. It's going to be a major contribution to Leica. A new trend has begun. Sent from my Etcha-sketch.[/quote']

Exactly, Leica has nailed the target group.

This will sell like hot cakes.

Expect longer delivery times than typ240.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In my opinion this camera is a revolution, just like the iPhone was a revolution in the phones market.

In terms of design, this is a radical change or, if you prefer it, a clever turn of the screw.

Leica has suppressed all unnecessary physical controls.

It does not make any sense the interaction of a physical button or wheel with a passive screen (play, delete, set, iso... ok, up, down, right, left... and so on), when you can do the same on an active screen. More simple, more elegant, better interface. And Leica did this very well (responsive, elegant).

Leica's designers should be proud of this seminal innovation.

I very much like the UI, but I do wish they had included a button on the back that could be assigned to AF-ON or (less desirable) AF-L. Other than that, the control set is great - especially if the video button can be programed as something more useful to photographers.

Leica T for whom?

I think Leica has designed an ingenious camera with the new T model.

But who exactly is the camera system made for?

This is probably not a camera designed for heavy use in the field.

I do not think Leica with this camera aims at gaining market share among nature photographers?

From what I understand, the system is not even weather- sealed?

While Nikon D4S is a kind of "heavy infantry rifle", I wonder if Leica T is really just a kind of a tiny little pink one?:D:D:D

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I very much like the UI, but I do wish they had included a button on the back that could be assigned to AF-ON or (less desirable) AF-L. Other than that, the control set is great - especially if the video button can be programed as something more useful to photographers.

HI Ken

So do I . . . but the truth is, if they had included that, then there are twenty other perfectly sensible buttons which ought to be included.

If you're going for minimalism, then you have to be minimalist - At least they've done it with conviction!

• Like 2