Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all. As I was in London today I thought I would pop into the Leica shop in the Burlington Arcade to see this new camera. It's very cute and looks better than in the photos. I like the way the touchscreen works and it handles well too. As I have an xvario already and other cameras, at the moment it does not make sense for me to buy this camera but maybe in the future......

I do think leica have made a very innovative camera and I am very impressed.

Rosie

I had very similar an experience today at Totalfoto shop in Genoa. Just stepped in for other things and saw this beauty. The clerk who knows me quite well pulled the bait and gave it to me to handle. The pictures on the web can't render the tactile feelings, the balance and the beauty of this thing. The screen is bright and clear and there's a lot of real estate.

There's only a word for the T: gorgeous.

And the price literally left me astonished. I'd never thought that Leica could go this "cheap".

I'll wait for the next reviews and for the first users' impressions, but I have to confess that it's been a very long time since I felt so strong the desire to buy a camera and I might even be tempted to trade in my M9 for a T...

Cheers,

Bruno

• Like 8

Use the pop-up flash to trigger an off-camera flash.

So when I use my strobes for a nice lighting effect, I'd have to accept direct flash from the camera ruining the look? And hiw fast does that recycle?

Ok this may be a fine camera for some other uses... that currently are accommodated by many other cameras. Exciting to anyone otherr than a. person who wants to buy a Leica, it isn't. I have no problem with it if it is priced right or if people don't mind the added cost.

I had very similar an experience today at Totalfoto shop in Genoa. Just stepped in for other things and saw this beauty. The clerk who knows me quite well pulled the bait and gave it to me to handle. The pictures on the web can't render the tactile feelings, the balance and the beauty of this thing. The screen is bright and clear and there's a lot of real estate.

There's only a word for the T: gorgeous.

And the price literally left me astonished. I'd never thought that Leica could go this "cheap".

I'll wait for the next reviews and for the first users' impressions, but I have to confess that it's been a very long time since I felt so strong the desire to buy a camera and I might even be tempted to trade in my M9 for a T...

Cheers,

Bruno

I really cannot tell if you are being sarcastic about this being cheap or not?

The sub-$400 Sony NEX 3n has the same sensor in it. (The thing that makes the photos.) So, when you see that it will cost $5,000 to have this with a viewfinder, a kit lens, and a neck strap... you're making a little joke by saying it's cheap, right? Or were they serving Koolaide at that shop today?

I'd rather have full-frame. Which is why I own an M.

At that price point though, it's positioned very well to compete against other mirrorless offerings.

I don't like how form seems to take precedence over function here, but at the same time, the camera's not really built for me. It's not a pro 'tog's tool, really. They already have a lot of those.

Speaking as someone who used to sell cameras in a consumer retail environment, I predict that this thing is going to fly off the shelves. It's simple, which is always a selling point. Controls seem intuitive, which is a selling point. It's unique. And it's incredibly pretty.

I am completely okay with this. I think Leica's done a good job, for what it is. It's not what we might want it to be, having heard a new camera was coming, but in terms of making a high-end consumer camera that's going to sell like hotcakes, Leica's done a fine job.

At that price point though, I'd still get an A7R... because I worship at the altar of image quality.

Let's all be thankful that it's at least a decent product in its own right, and not an upjumped, rebranded camera a la Hasselblad.

• Like 1

The sub-$400 Sony NEX 3n has the same sensor in it. (The thing that makes the photos.) So, when you see that it will cost $5,000 to have this with a viewfinder, a kit lens, and a neck strap... you're making a little joke by saying it's cheap, right? Or were they serving Koolaide at that shop today?

You could use the same argument for an M6 against an Olympus trip (they both use the same film) - . I'm sure the base sensor is the same, and I guess the DxO marks will be too (very good) But there is the cover glass, the AA sensor (or lack of it) and all the other electronics which go to make the picture. Which of course still doesn't make it cheap - cheaper than other Leica's maybe - but He has handled it, and it really is rather a delicious object. . . . . which the NEX 3n, despite it's sterling characteristics, is not.

• Like 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You could use the same argument for an M6 against an Olympus trip (they both use the same film) - . I'm sure the base sensor is the same, and I guess the DxO marks will be too (very good) But there is the cover glass, the AA sensor (or lack of it) and all the other electronics which go to make the picture. Which of course still doesn't make it cheap - cheaper than other Leica's maybe - but He has handled it, and it really is rather a delicious object. . . . . which the NEX 3n, despite it's sterling characteristics, is not.

I'm happy to accept "pretty" "enticing" "exciting" "attractive" "interesting" "exotic" "desirable" "luxurious" "exclusive"

It's when we seek to justify "value" in an object like this that I start to become very uncomfortable.

Cheap-expensive are not absolutes. The audience this is aimed at is not particularly interested in that aspect. Leica aims at 1 % of the camera market. Let’s say they aim at the top 10 % of the income pyramid worldwide.

With that consideration in mind, the camera is indeed cheap.

• Like 2

Cheap-expensive are not absolutes. The audience this is aimed at is not particularly interested in that aspect. Leica aims at 1 % of the camera market. Let’s say they aim at the top 10 % of the income pyramid worldwide.

With that consideration in mind, the camera is indeed cheap.

I suppose we can make constructs to justify anything.

Compared to an actual lunar space shuttle, the Hasselblad Lunar is indeed cheap.

The unibody construction and touchscreen interface are the real selling points of the T, given that performance and lenses seem competitive with the rest of the market. No other camera combines the strength of unibody milling with a simple and yet highly customizable interface.

Most of us remember when companies were producing luxury compact film cameras like the Contax T3 and Nikon 35Ti. I've wanted someone to produce the digital equivalent for today. Something with real solidity in the body and the sense that it won't crap out after a few years. I think the T is the interchangeable lens equivalent of this, and should theoretically surpass any equivalent size camera in physical rigidity. With a bit of luck, Leica will extend the unibody construction concept to the X series cameras, too.

We might even see a limited edition version milled from a block of titanium, which is then surface-hardened. Hint, hint, Leica!

• Like 1

So when I use my strobes for a nice lighting effect, I'd have to accept direct flash from the camera ruining the look?

That's right, a tiny pop-up flash will overpower your strobes. This camera sux.

Ok this may be a fine camera for some other uses... that currently are accommodated by many other cameras. Exciting to anyone otherr than a. person who wants to buy a Leica, it isn't. I have no problem with it if it is priced right or if people don't mind the added cost.

It doesn't have to be usable for your purposes for it to appeal to others whether it's a Leica or not. You seem to be fixated on the idea that people who purchase Leica cameras are mindless sheep who'd blindly follow the Red Dot over a cliff. I suggest you take the blinders off and consider perspectives and uses other than your own.

I'm happy to accept "pretty" "enticing" "exciting" "attractive" "interesting" "exotic" "desirable" "luxurious" "exclusive"

It's when we seek to justify "value" in an object like this that I start to become very uncomfortable.

Certainly all of this is of value as there is a lot of effort required to achieve this. If this is of no importance go for less bot do not complain.

Photography is about aesthetic. For me it is also of importance for the camera itself. It is not only tool in this respect.

Regards

Steve

Edited by Steve Ash

My strobes have to be triggered by a radio. So that option is out if you also need the EVF.

But any on camera flash will cause problems in numerous ways. It will fill in a close portait or area near the camera, it will add catchlights in eyes or highlights in other objects. And what makes you think these strobes are always used at high power where they would over power that pop up flash? It would burn through camera batteries real fast and could never recycle fast enough. Plus I doubt it is designed to withstand hundreds of shots in a row. That would be a pretty stupid way for any pro to work considering even a lowly Nex 6 would avoid these problems.

And a shoe mount flash and EVF can't be used at the same time. Don't you think countless photographers like to work that way?

Of course this may not be important to many in the intended market but before the camera was released I said that a built in EVF as in the GX 7, Nex 6 and 7, and other cameras would be my preference for several reasons.

You seem to be fixated on the idea that people who purchase Leica cameras are mindless sheep who'd blindly follow the Red Dot over a cliff. I suggest you take the blinders off and consider perspectives and uses other than your own.

When you use the word "seem" is that to cover up for the fact that I said no such thing? I said that I saw nothing exciting about this camera and think the branding will be important in selling it. If the identical camera carried the Samsung or Pentax brand would the design, quality, and features, shake up the market? I don't know the pricing so I have no opinion on whether it is worth it.

Camera brands in the Far East can copy this design study in a few months, but why can't Leica get the latest chip? We'll see about the buffer time and shutter lag of the T soon.

I suppose we can make constructs to justify anything.

Compared to an actual lunar space shuttle, the Hasselblad Lunar is indeed cheap.

It is not a construct. It is a reality. Even though there are many millions to whom 500 $ represents a yearly income, there are equally enough potential customers to whom 3000 $ is pocket money to be spent on a whim…

Nor is it a justification, but a marketing choice in targeting a customer group.

Even though there are many millions to whom 500 $ represents a yearly income, there are equally enough potential customers to whom 3000 $ is pocket money to be spent on a whim…

But even those who can spend 3000$ on a whim may be frustrated, when they realize that the nice housing contains outdated technology. At least, if the buy such a toy also for taking photos and not only a nice looking gadget for their handbag.

• Like 1