Leica T

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And why on Earth, does that cam not have an internal viewfinder??

Due to size and cost, considering many potential users don't care about the EVF.

This camera is designed to be used like a smartphone, or very similar, even the app for sharing, wifi, touchscreen, etc.

But, look at this: you cannot use the metallic holster o the plastic protectors and cases with the EVF in place!

The XV has an 18-46mm f3.5-6.4 lens … the new T zoom has an 18-56mm f3.5-5.6 lens … both are APS-C format. Interesting that the T zoom has both a faster and longer tele end … which 'on paper' is quite an improvement on the XV. But the real test will be whether the new T zoom lens performs as evenly throughout its zoom and aperture range as the XV. The T zoom lens' design team has a hard act to follow; if they have succeeded in equaling the XV's lens performance evenness they will have done very well. But I'm wondering how much 'Panasonic' influence/design might have gone into the the new T zoom lens - and if there might be performance compromises to create the longer and faster zoom lens?

dunk

I think the new design is remarkable. Innovative, unique, clean, and beautiful. It already looks like a mature system. I don't care if it's APS-C, I'm sure the IQ will be very good.

I'm just so glad to see the company innovating like this. It's a very healthy sign. I'm usually very critical of the company and it's products and I really can't find much to be critical over here. This is going to sell like crazy and I think I will buy one.

• Like 5

The amazing thing is the cost - $3000 for just the body. Makes me feel a whole lot better about paying $3000 for the X Vario - at least I got a lens for that.

Maybe there is a surprise for your this afternoon (the price I mean):D:D

John

It's interesting how many of the suppositions and deductions have been correct, especially reregisterring the Visoflex name for the EVF, making the EVF with newer technology and including an M adapter in the initial offering.

It's interesting how many of the suppositions and deductions have been correct, especially reregisterring the Visoflex name for the EVF, making the EVF with newer technology and including an M adapter in the initial offering.

Not too hard to predict those things. It sn't as if there is a single innovation here. If they are going to call an EVF Visoflex, then they should also call this a DSLR. The other Leica EVF is called Visoflex too...so what else would they call it?

Now if they had made a twin lens reflex, as I predicted, I'd be looking pretty omniscient now.

If Sony came out today with a body with these specs and features, it would be considered a low end entry model.

Edited by AlanG

The XV has an 18-46mm f3.5-6.4 lens … the new T zoom has an 18-56mm f3.5-5.6 lens … both are APS-C format. Interesting that the T zoom has both a faster and longer tele end … which 'on paper' is quite an improvement on the XV. But the real test will be whether the new T zoom lens performs as evenly throughout its zoom and aperture range as the XV. The T zoom lens' design team has a hard act to follow; if they have succeeded in equaling the XV's lens performance evenness they will have done very well. But I'm wondering how much 'Panasonic' influence/design might have gone into the the new T zoom lens - and if there might be performance compromises to create the longer and faster zoom lens?

dunk

"Panasonic lens design" is a bit of a red herring. Sure, they will have learnt over the years, but every lens from the Panasonic design team that bears the label "Leica" has to be submitted to rigorous testing and critique several times to Letca, and is often rejected. (The phrase "back home with drooping ears" was used to me by a Leica employee :D Rather unkind, I thought.)

Even if the footwork is done by another party, Leica is careful to instill their DNA in every lens that bears their name.

• Like 2

Actually, I think the new 'T' looks like a very slick system. Including an 'M' lens adapter was a smart touch indeed.

I think all of the companies that had legacy lenses came out

with adapters for their mirrorless models. And at the PhotoExpo in NYC last fall, Sony handed me an A7r with a Canon 24-70 on it.

Presumably the inclusion of 6 bit coding in the M adapter means the new camera does automatic lens correction for those lenses.

I think the T is the camera that Leica should have made back in 2008 as this would have been a breakthrough for them and would have been a modern update to the original small Leica concept. But they had to wait until now for the technology to be mature and now there is nothing new they are bringing to the table. Yes they might have excellent lenses for it but you can get good lenses for all kinds of mirrorless cameras.

Besides, if you are interested in the best image quality in a small package you would want to go with the A7r today. I know several Canon architectural photographers who have done precisely that... mostly to use their 17 and 24 TSE lenses on a better sensor than the 5DIII has. I have been tempted to do that also. For a small travel camera, the Nex6 does all I need and it is smaller (once the EVF is added to the T) and much less expensive than the T, plus it has more features.

The T is mostly for people who just have to have a Leica. If another manufacturer had introduced this exact camera, would many on this forum get excited by it?