Anyone figure out why the 240 freezes up?

dant

240user, thanks and welcome to the forum

jaapv, count_sad_users++

Why should I count:confused: reports here in the forum may be useful to let off steam, complaints to Leica make more sense, if the number gets significant you have more chance of a resolution than by pontificating here.

• Like 1

...and I can afford anything Leica can make, but I buy in the state of mind I did over fifty years ago.

This is probably the biggest issue.

Leica assumes their customers have an infinite amout of money.

But there are a lot of passionate people willing to spend a little fortune for a defective camera just to buy their Leica dream.

To let these guys down is miserable and shameful.

Why should I count:confused: reports here in the forum may be useful to let off steam, complaints to Leica make more sense, if the number gets significant you have more chance of a resolution than by pontificating here.

I understand that pontificating here is only ok for pro-Leica comments.

Check all your comments from the beginning of this thread.

All cameras do freeze more or less. Is the M240 any worse from this viewpoint? In no way as far as my sample is concerned but some of our colleagues here seem to have serious issues. Would be interesting to ask them if they sent their camera in after the last firmwere update and if the issues persisted afterwards.

Canon freezing

Fuji freezing

Hasselblad freezing

Nikon freezing

• Like 2

Thought I would pass on some interesting and potentially useful information regarding lock-ups on the M240. In an earlier post, I relayed comments from an Italian photographer who asserted that the M240's lock-up problems were solved in the new MP through the addition of a 2 GB buffer. My brother, an M240 owner who used to have persistent problems with his M240 locking up, recently purchased a high-speed data card (sorry, I do not know the technical details of the card he purchased, other than that it was a new model with advertised higher read and write speeds and was purchased about 2 months ago). Since then he has had no lock-ups. In combination with other reports of lock-ups occurring when many photos are taken sequentially, these stories may point in the direction of data overwhelming the M240's data bus when the data card cannot write data being received from the bus quickly enough. I am going to purchase a faster data card for one of my M240s and see if it makes any difference (I just found a SanDisk 60m MB/sec. card for $24 on Amazon; a 90 MB/sec. card was twice as much). If data card write speeds contribute to the problem, the problem may be essentially architectural in nature, and therefore not prone to an easy or straightforward firmware fix. On the other hand, the problem may also be susceptible to a quick fix (or at leas reduced incidence of lock-ups) by just using a higher speed data card. With my Fuji X-T1 I recently learned that it would only operate reliably and properly when using newer data cards (e.g., SanDisk Extreme 45 MB/sec. 32 GB cards). Older and slower data cards caused hiccups in my X-T1. It may also be possible that the M240's architecture and firmware are not configured to handle the higher write speeds enabled by newer cards, and that using such newer cards will make no or little difference in performance or reducing lock-ups. My brother's experience says otherwise, however.

Edited by tundraline

All cameras do freeze more or less. Is the M240 any worse from this viewpoint?

Current data from my Canon 5D2:

- About 50000 shutter actuations (no Live View)

- About 10000 LiveView actuations.

In 6 years, the poor thing was used in the worst conditions: hours under the sun at +40C, or rain and snow, or freezing cold at -15C.

It froze only once, years ago, with an old firmware revision.

<snip>My brother, an M240 owner who used to have persistent problems with his M240 locking up, recently purchased a high-speed data card (sorry, I do not know the technical details of the card he purchased, other than that it was a new model with advertised higher read and write speeds and was purchased about 2 months ago). Since then he has had no lock-ups<snip>

Maybe the problem can be reliably reproduced with a very slow card.

If data card write speeds contribute to the problem, the problem may be essentially architectural in nature, and therefore not prone to an easy or straightforward firmware fix.

errrr.... which is what I have been saying for years .... :rolleyes:

there is a processor (or processors) in the camera, memory in the camera, a processor in the card and memory in the card ......

none of these are manufactured to a perfectly identical standard ...... they are batch processed then tested .... and the very good/low error/fast sold as premium products and the absolute dogs relegated to cheap electrical goods ......with the rest re-badged as somewhere in between.

the interaction between these variable interfaces could explain a lot of the variability between users ..... not all cameras and memory cards are created equal ..... despite what the label says ......

finding a single correctable firmware or hardware fault may be impossible.......

..... improving the absolute quality and performance of the individual components may .....which explains why changing cards sometimes cures the problem.... and why increasing the buffer in the MP may also help....

Edited by thighslapper

finding a single correctable firmware or hardware fault may be impossible.......

..... improving the absolute quality and performance of the individual components may .....which explains why changing cards sometimes cures the problem....

If so, then Leica should just tell us which premium ultra-expensive elite card their engineers validate the camera with.

I am fine with a "certified SD cards list" containing just one item.

Which card does the Leica QA guy use ?

errrr.... which is what I have been saying for years .... :rolleyes:

there is a processor (or processors) in the camera, memory in the camera, a processor in the card and memory in the card ......

none of these are manufactured to a perfectly identical standard ...... they are batch processed then tested .... and the very good/low error/fast sold as premium products and the absolute dogs relegated to cheap electrical goods ......with the rest re-badged as somewhere in between.

the interaction between these variable interfaces could explain a lot of the variability between users ..... not all cameras and memory cards are created equal ..... despite what the label says ......

..... improving the absolute quality and performance of the individual components may .....which explains why changing cards sometimes cures the problem.... and why increasing the buffer in the MP may also help....

This triggers another train of thought. There is clearly variability in the communication between the camera and the card.

As was explained to me the communication speed between the card and the camera is not so much determined by the indicated card speed per se, but by the card controller and camera electronics in tandem. That may be where tolerances come into play.

For instance I found that Lexar Pro 600x 16Gb gave good startup times on my camera. Others found differently with the same card.

Could it be that the lockup problem can be linked to the startup time, if only as a symptom?

Mine needs approx. 1.5 sec to start and has had no spontaneous lockup in over 2 years. Can others confirm or deny this hypothesis?

And I assume it locks up. Anybody else with a faststarting camera. A pity Lindolfi has not been around for a while. Probably the most reliable observer on the forum, he found 1.4 IIRC, and I would be interested in his lockup experience.