Is Leica T marking the end of M8/M8.2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

If it is not optimized for M lenses it won't sell to M users.

If you plan to widen the audience for your products, would appealing to some subset of your existing customers – who prefer a different type of camera anyway – be an important concern? Fuji managed to appeal to some owners of M lenses even when their X system isn’t optimised for those lenses, so Leica could surely do the same. Just provide an adapter and you are set.

• Like 1

If you plan to widen the audience for your products, would appealing to some subset of your existing customers – who prefer a different type of camera anyway – be an important concern? Fuji managed to appeal to some owners of M lenses even when their X system isn’t optimised for those lenses, so Leica could surely do the same. Just provide an adapter and you are set.

Yep!

This is the "some subset" forum.

Service, set...

Edited by tri

Then why buying an expensive body if it is to get the same results as any FujiSony camera with M lenses? People asking that kind of question are M users and the latters won't be interested in the T if it doesn't bring anything special for M glass in my opinion, at least i won't.

• Like 1

Ah - but Leica has always tried to get as much retro- and cross compatibility as possible. Would they turn a T owner who wants to buy an ApoSummicron and expects good results away?

Well, I don't know Leica's approach to this type of customer. If I'd sell Leica gear, I told the person who wants to buy an Apo Summicron that they even produce a proper camera for this lens, called "M". It would be the better bargain for my shop, and perhaps the customer prefers a proper 50mm to a "cropped" 75mm, or a proper 75mm to a "cropped" 112,5mm - though some might look for an f:2/135mm crop...

All M users cannot afford an M240 but most of them want to use their lenses digitally first of all and it is not a couple of new AF lenses that will dissuade them to look for the best digital back for their beloved Elmar, Summaron or Summicron, be it APS. Fun to use a 35 like a 50, a 50 like a 75 or a 90 like a 135 BTW.

Dunno about the end of the M8(.2), but...I've never received an email from Sean Reid hyping a product release. Sure Huff does it, as do many other bloggers/reviewers, but this is the first time Reid's said something prior to the official release, ie that he's expecting heavy traffic on the release date. Sounds like Leica will be release something interesting.

• Like 2

Wouldn’t the T be optimised for T lenses?

I would expect that at the very least! ;)

It is indeed unlikely that the camera's sensor will be optimised for M lenses, the best that could be hoped for is that Leica will provide some lens profiling to go with the anticipated adapter.

M8 not looking so bad now!!

I am very interested in that flash, assuming it works with the M.:)

The EVF shows us that not even Leica can prosper outside of the constraints of limited backward compatiblity.

[...] It is indeed unlikely that the camera's sensor will be optimised for M lenses [...]

Would be surprising if you ask me. Suffice it to watch the advertising of the T surrounded by a dozen of M lenses to suspect that its sensor will be optimised for the latters. Wishful thinking? Yes indeed as i'm not interested in vignetting, red edge and other flaws associated to ordinary sensors.

Would be surprising if you ask me. Suffice it to watch the advertising of the T surrounded by a dozen of M lenses to suspect that its sensor will be optimised for the latters. Wishful thinking? Yes indeed as i'm not interested in vignetting, red edge and other flaws associated to ordinary sensors.

Yes, but again a crop factor as the M8, no one should ever accept again for valuable Leica lenses.

Betting that the full-frame T's already contained in the pipeline?

Yes, but again a crop factor as the M8, no one should ever accept again for valuable Leica lenses...

Why so? I did it with pleasure since 2004 on the R-D1 and again on the M8. No problem at all. The sensor will have microlenses to fit M lenses hopefully.

I am not sure if shifted microlenses on the camera's new sensor would make much sense. For the M-sensor you need the shifted microlenses as light hits the sensor in a flat angle in the corners. The smaller APS-C format, the larger bayonet with a new line of lenses should provide for light hitting the sensor rectangular. So shifting the microlenses in the edges could cause problems for the proper lenses of the new system.

It has been already mentioned that the adapter for M-lenses as it can be seen on some leaked photos detects the 6-bit-codes of the M-lenses. So I think they might apply some electronic in-camera correction for the M-lenses as we already know it since the M8.

Though from all we have seen from other camera models with apapted M-type lenses, it would be a wonder if all wide angles could be used without problems of magenta colour shift etc. on the new model. I think the first tests in a few days will tell us more about it - in case the adapter is already available...which would be a small wonder of its own.