Is Leica T marking the end of M8/M8.2?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, but again a crop factor as the M8, no one should ever accept again for valuable Leica lenses.

Betting that the full-frame T's already contained in the pipeline?

So your bet is, that T stands for transitory?

Yes of course, just as I am, but obviously "T" stands for "not my tea pot".;)

Not sure what the thinking was behind naming the new camera system T but it's a letter I'd normally associate with Zeiss. Presumably the target market will be unfamiliar with T*.

Not sure what the thinking was behind naming the new camera system T but it's a letter I'd normally associate with Zeiss. Presumably the target market will be unfamiliar with T*.

Beside "touchscreen" perhaps into view taken buyer's market in Russia will probably still know for what "T" stands: танк = tank.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9e/Bundesarchiv_B_145_Bild-F016221-0016%2C_Russland%2C_Brennender_T-34.jpg

Perhaps a tribute to the metal casing?

Terrific photograph. Possibly taken with a Leica (to bring us full circle)?:)

Quite possibly, the photographer is unknown, but the photo was taken from a German Federal Archive, where the negative is noted in small format 24 x 36 mm.

Leica and Contax film cameras were often used by the former war correspondents.

Negativ-Format: 24 x 36 mm

Digitalisierungsvorlage: Negativ

Bestand: B 145 Bild - Presse- und Informationsamt der Bundesregierung - Bildbestand

Signatur: B 145 Bild-F016221-0016

Archivtitel: Sowjetunion, Rußlandfeldzug.- Brennender sowjetischer Panzer T-34

Datierung: 1941/1942

Fotograf: o.Ang.

Quelle: Bundesarchiv

Bundesarchiv - Picture database: Simple search

Looking at the used market I think the Leica M8 retains its crown as the 'Poor Man's digital M mount Leica '.

Runners up include:

The Leica M8.2, now that prices are falling.

The Epson RD-1 series of cameras

The Ricoh GXR-A12

Followed by the plethora of mirror less cameras.

The M9 used prices are still too high for it to have a chance in these stakes.

A film Leica and scanner would be another initially less costly route.

I don't expect the Leica T to join the field anytime soon, and even then I don't expect it to be a front runner in this horse race.

So if you have a bunch of M lenses looking for a mount and funds are an issue, the M8 is still an attractive proposition.

Yes. Sadly I will have to bury my M8 in the backyard next to my other useless, outdated Leica cameras...M2, M6 and MP.

Bang the drum slowly, please.

Best regards,

Bob

CEO CFO EIEIO, Ret.

No need to bury your M2, M3 and MP in the backyard as they can all be kept functioning well into the future. The backyard, sadly, might be the appropriate place for your M8 if it needs certain parts. This will apparently be true for all digital cameras and why the lifelong value we enjoyed with mechanical Leicas is a thing of the past.

There is no such thing as an ‘M8 series’. There was an M8 and an M8.2, then came the M9 and now the M Monochrom, M-E, and M (Typ 240). The M series is expected to prosper but chances are slim there will ever be something like the M8 (i.e. an M with an APS-H CCD) ever again.

Stop being pedantic. You know what he meant.

Stop being pedantic. You know what he meant.

For me Michael being "pedantic" is a cornerstone of this forum, based on his expertise.

Can't think of many here who could equal it.

The M8 was introduced in 2006 and the M8.2 in 2008. As far as digital technology goes they have been obsolete for some time. ...

So would you very kindly point me at another digital camera that will allow me to shoot infrared shots handheld please? You can't? Then the M8 can hardly be considered to be technologically obsolete.:)

Pete.

No need to bury your M2, M3 and MP in the backyard as they can all be kept functioning well into the future. The backyard, sadly, might be the appropriate place for your M8 if it needs certain parts. This will apparently be true for all digital cameras and why the lifelong value we enjoyed with mechanical Leicas is a thing of the past.

Joe,

My point was to poke a bit of fun at those fanboys among us who believe that the only technology of any value is the latest cutting edge being hyped at any given moment. Rest assured all my gear gets used...lol

Best regards,

Bob

CEO CFO EIEIO, Ret.

• Like 1

Mandatory chimping, no focus peaking, 1.5 seconds startup time, 0.5 second freezing time after each shot... It's not tomorrow that the T will compete with the M8 as far as speedness and focus accuracy are concerned. The first dng pics look good out of the T but no better than the M8's which seem to need less sharpening at first glance. 1600 iso is indeed much cleaner but 3200 doesn't look at the level of the M240 so far. In spite of its coffee stain, i will keep my M8.2 as a backup i believe. Pity that its motor sound is so noisy though. Also newbies will recall that IR-cut filters are unavoidable for colorworks before ordering a s/h M8.

Put M lenses on T? We were happy to get the full frame M9 and now people want to go backwards.

Same as years back, film grain was an issue. Digital solved it and people want the grain back.

Buy an old film camera and brick of Tri X and be happy.

• 2 weeks later...

I am not really an expert in Leica, purely because I have never owned one ( could not afford it). However, I do enjoy photography and like gadgets as well.

The way I see it, Leica T series is Leica's way of reaching out to more amateurs with a new camera that is the most affordable lens changeable Digital Leica. More and more people are buying micro 4/3 due to the cost, the size and the reasonably good quality. The current generation is getting used to taking photos without a view finder.

I, for one, might be able to afford a Leica digital camera for once and justify the cost as the lens will be interchangeable.

Perhaps Leica is making a statement that they want to move with the time and produce the sexiest looking touchscreen camera with a mobile phone app and all the bells & whistles!

At the same time, they want to improve their rangefinders with the new M and the awesome Monochrome ( a most desirable and unique camera). They are trying to get the balance right and I personally feel this is a good thing.

I have a Panasonic GX-1 and it is nice little camera, esp with the PL 25mm 1.4lens.

However, I find myself using my Lumix L1 (equivalent of the Digilux 3) with old Olympus Zuiko OM lens and find the picture quality many times better with the L1 ( pretty old comapred to the GX-1). The sensor on the L1 is not too big but the controls are magic as is the Black and White contrast on that camera. The digilux 3 is available for £499 on many sites and local camera stores and perhaps the most affordable way to get in to Digital Leica with interchangeable lens( I know it is not a range finder but the controls are still awesome).

My 13 year old daughter loves the L1 and prefers it to the GX-1 or her iphone :-)

If she and I can still use the L1 as our main camera, surely there will be a place for M8/M8.2 over the years to come. Hopefully the price of the M8.2 will come down to around £1000 for the body and then I can buy one. The biggest cost will be the lens' and not the body I guess.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I do not believe the T series will mark the end of M8. If anything, the M might become more popular as the price for used ones comes down.

• Like 1

I am not really an expert in Leica, purely because I have never owned one ( could not afford it). However, I do enjoy photography and like gadgets as well.

The way I see it, Leica T series is Leica's way of reaching out to more amateurs with a new camera that is the most affordable lens changeable Digital Leica. More and more people are buying micro 4/3 due to the cost, the size and the reasonably good quality. The current generation is getting used to taking photos without a view finder.

I, for one, might be able to afford a Leica digital camera for once and justify the cost as the lens will be interchangeable.

Perhaps Leica is making a statement that they want to move with the time and produce the sexiest looking touchscreen camera with a mobile phone app and all the bells & whistles!

At the same time, they want to improve their rangefinders with the new M and the awesome Monochrome ( a most desirable and unique camera). They are trying to get the balance right and I personally feel this is a good thing.

I have a Panasonic GX-1 and it is nice little camera, esp with the PL 25mm 1.4lens.

However, I find myself using my Lumix L1 (equivalent of the Digilux 3) with old Olympus Zuiko OM lens and find the picture quality many times better with the L1 ( pretty old comapred to the GX-1). The sensor on the L1 is not too big but the controls are magic as is the Black and White contrast on that camera. The digilux 3 is available for £499 on many sites and local camera stores and perhaps the most affordable way to get in to Digital Leica with interchangeable lens( I know it is not a range finder but the controls are still awesome).

My 13 year old daughter loves the L1 and prefers it to the GX-1 or her iphone :-)

If she and I can still use the L1 as our main camera, surely there will be a place for M8/M8.2 over the years to come. Hopefully the price of the M8.2 will come down to around £1000 for the body and then I can buy one. The biggest cost will be the lens' and not the body I guess.

Anyway, to cut a long story short, I do not believe the T series will mark the end of M8. If anything, the M might become more popular as the price for used ones comes down.

I'm under the impression that more people are becoming aware of the M8's strengths and advantages when considering whether to buy the Leica 'T'. A used M8 body is usually cheaper than a new 'T' and used 'M' lenses (cheaper than new 'T' lenses if only considering the less exotic types) will probably produce better images on an M8 than on a 'T' … and the M8 crop factor of 1.33 is better than the 'T's 1.5 . The disadvantage of the M8 is that M lenses are limited to 135mm - but that is fine for regular photography.

However, with recent very heavy discounting of the discontinued Ricoh GXR it is now possible to buy e.g. a new GXR body (complete with S10 24-72 kit!! ) for just £119 and a new GXR A12 'M' mount for £149 … = NEW GXR APS C body with 'M' mount for £268 !!

So far there is no sign of the Ricoh VF-2 EVF being discounted but it is not essential.

There is a lot of mileage left in the M8 and it could be worthy alternative to the 'T' for some Leica enthusiasts … and the M8, being old school 'Solms' might even offer better longevity than the 'T' ;)

And 'M' lenses will probably hold their value just as well if not better than AF 'T' optics.

dunk

• Like 5