Afrika Safari with Monochrom? Please advise!

jpk

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
With all due respect, 28 years of at least a fortnight in the African bush with all types of cameras you can imagine have taught me that your assertion might be somewhat rash.

Jaaaap I know part of your job is to defend Leica and that's great but tell me this........how many wildlife photographers shoot Leica anything. What I mean by that is if you are going into the jungle to shoot wildlife then a Leica is the wrong tool especially a MM. It would be like taking a DSLR into the streets of New York with a 600mm lens and shoot street photography..............

Jaaaap I know part of your job is to defend Leica and that's great but tell me this........how many wildlife photographers shoot Leica anything. What I mean by that is if you are going into the jungle to shoot wildlife then a Leica is the wrong tool especially a MM. It would be like taking a DSLR into the streets of New York with a 600mm lens and shoot street photography..............

A bit more tolerance might be useful here. Its clear that a rangefinder is an odd choice for a safari - but the combination of one seemingly inappropriate camera in special circumstances has been known to produce unforeseen and often interesting results.

There is no doubt what the norm is for a safari. The question is rather if one takes something outside the norm, what might happen? Could it be interesting? I for one really liked the results, and having lived with the usual "long lens, color shots" from safaris that are (forgive me for saying this) relatively useless to me upon return, found this different angle surprisingly interesting.

OK - its not for you, nor for 99.9% of the other people. But hey, if we don't explore, we won't know what else is out there.

• Like 1

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

OK - its not for you, nor for 99.9% of the other people. But hey, if we don't explore, we won't know what else is out there.

+1

I think Saul Leiter articulated the point rather well in lesson #1 here, excerpted as follows…

Q: Many of your images have a compressed spatial perspective. Was the telephoto your preferred lens?

Leiter: I liked different lenses for different times. I am fond of the telephoto lens, as I am of the normal 50 mm lens. I had at one point a 150 mm lens and I was very fond it. I liked what it did. I experimented a lot. Sometimes I worked with a lens that I had when I might have preferred another lens. I think Picasso once said that he wanted to use green in a painting but since he didn’t have it he used red. Perfection is not something I admire. [Laughs]. A touch of confusion is a desirable ingredient.

Leiter's 'street work' is refreshingly different…and brilliant.

Ignore Neil…his idea of being different is a red case and strap.

Jeff

That is the whole point. Thinking in boxes produces cliches.

I submit you have no idea. Calling wildlife photography hectic, and now talking about a jungle. Not a like the savannahs and open woodlands of Eastern and Southern Africa.

Maybe you mean rainforest. Try taking a 600 there:eek: 135 at the most to photograph Gorillas.

But if you want to go with the crowd, what are you doing shooting Leica? How many photographers use Leicas in general?

Brw, whatever gave you the idea tha I do not use long lenses??

My standard focal length for everything of this kind I posted here was either 280 or 400....:roll eyes:

Edited by jaapv

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS

Advertisement (gone after registration)

That is the whole point. Thinking in boxes produces cliches.

I submit you have no idea. Calling wildlife photography hectic, and now talking about a jungle. Not a like the savannahs and open woodlands of Eastern and Southern Africa.

Maybe you mean rainforest. Try taking a 600 there:eek: 135 at the most to photograph Gorillas.

But if you want to go with the crowd, what are you doing shooting Leica? How many photographers use Leicas in general?

Brw, whatever gave you the idea tha I do not use long lenses??

My standard focal length for everything of this kind I posted here was either 280 or 400....:roll eyes:

my God Jaaaap spat the dummy....... hahahahaha

Guest NEIL-D-WILLIAMS
I can visualize the way you see yourself, wearing a Leopard skin, swinging from tree to tree, a D800 firmly clamped between the teeth....:D

That's sweet of you to think about me Jaaaap.......:p

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

John you are wrong and tobey is correct........ after seeing the B&W pictures on this thread they would look100% better in color. I love B&W photography but it's the wrong tool for the job if you are looking for quality pictures if you are looking for the experience of doing a safari and don't give a hoot about the pictures then use your iPhone with the 400mm zoom

Rangefinders are the wrong tool for safari...... period

I wish somebody would have told me so in 1988. It would have saved me many thousands of crap photographs...
  • Like 2

I think it's possible but it all comes down on whether or not you will be disappointed to not have the iconic pictures from Africa. But your pictures might be different.

I took some photos with my M9 in Namibia. I wrote down my travel experience here:

Shooting in Namibia by Hilmar Buch | STEVE HUFF PHOTOS

8721793535_d21ab1f290_b.jpg

8750492582_2109c9ccd7_b.jpg

9635832950_4153ec91ab_b.jpg

13006255263_ce37338a2e_b.jpg

I love the composition on the 2nd photo of the giraffes...

• Like 1

If you have the Monochrom already, maybe I'd suggest to take also either a micro 4/3 camera with a long zoom or an APS-C DSLR with a 300mm lens (450 mm equivalent in FF).
I did a Uganda/Rwanda trip in December, combining safaris, hiking and a city tour of Kampala. My equipment was Leica M(240) with 28,50 and 135 lenses plus a Pentax K3 with a handgrip and an old 300/4.5 F* lens (fantastic optic). Plus a tiny 40/2.8 pancake for the Pentax - as a back-up for the Leica. My images are here:

http://openeyesphoto.smugmug.com/Uganda-Rwanda-2014/

Having said all this, I personally find the pictures of people (and landscapes) in Africa more rewarding than the animal pictures (as I feel I've seen them animal pictures all a million times...). So, on my next "safari" I may just go with M240 + M246 plus the same 28/50/135 lenses as the last time. Kind of depends on what type of shots you plan to bring back. 

Edited by albireo_double
  • Like 1