Minox DCC

aldash

Advertisement (gone after registration)

What is that Minox DCC miniature look-alike of the M3?

I see that the latest one has 14mp, but what is the size of the sensor? I wonder about the quality of the DCC. The film versions of that Minox years ago were like cheap toys, and not worth $10 to me. Anybody have recent experience with the DCC?

Alan

Frankly, I think is a semi-luxury TOY : time ago I played with the idea to have one (was tempted also by the Minox-Rolleiflex, to be sincere) , but gave away after seeing some pictures taken with it, posted by someone in the forum (don't remember when... I'd say 4-5 years ago... it was the 5 MP version, iirc) : the quality was less than good.... I think the sensor was "low-cost-telephone-like"... :rolleyes:

Anyway, I'd be curios to see examples taken with this contemporary (14 MPix !!! more than M8...) version... considering the quality of some modern cell-phone cameras, I'd think that something decent could be achieved... and it would be the definitive "carry always" Leica... :cool:

Note that Minox Company was owned by Leica from 1996 to 2001... and they still have a branch office (maybe just a store ?) in Wetzlar... and even stitch a sort of "red dot" in the front... but if you read their brochures, it is clear that they are not allowed to use the name "Leica"... they allude to a "1:3 scale" of a "classic/legendary design" and no more.

Edited by luigi bertolotti

Luigi,

Thanks for the info. Speaking of Minox, I bought the tiny B model in 1960, and toured Europe with it. I almost got arrested by the police in East Berlin, near "Checkpoint Charlie", but they released me, provided that I immediately go back to West Berlin. They called my Minox a spy camera.

I understand that Minox was originally made in Lithuania or nearby, but Germany later on. Is it now Japanese?

Did you know that D.A.G. is not only involved with Leica equipment, but also Minox?

Alan Dash

Luigi,

Thanks for the info. Speaking of Minox, I bought the tiny B model in 1960, and toured Europe with it. I almost got arrested by the police in East Berlin, near "Checkpoint Charlie", but they released me, provided that I immediately go back to West Berlin. They called my Minox a spy camera.

I understand that Minox was originally made in Lithuania or nearby, but Germany later on. Is it now Japanese?

Did you know that D.A.G. is not only involved with Leica equipment, but also Minox?

Alan Dash

Minox "mother country" was indeed Latvia... and was the offspring of a man named Zapp, who lived almost 100 years, and undoubtly deserves a place of his own in the Hall of Fame of innovators in the photo industry... you can easily find the story of Minox in the Net; I think that nowadays the brand/company is still in German hands, I have no idea if DAG can service Minox, but I wouldn't be surprised... the old classic Minoxes (8x11 film) were little mechanical masterpieces and it has a sense that a fine mechanical lab specialized in photo equipment can work on them.

• 3 weeks later...

I have a Minox DSC 3MP with fix lens and Minox DSC silver with focusing lens (from 1 meter to infinity)

The photo quality of 5MP DSC silver is better than ipad, due to DSC has a focusing glass lens.

DSC silver is my carry in the pocket lens

I am waiting for DSC silver to upgrade to 14MP.

The DCC 14MP is nice, but with it protruding lens not quite pocket friendly as a DSC

The following are samples from 5MP DSC silver, the last photo is a close up photo of

a book.

The 14MP DCC will certain have better picture quality, my Lumix LX5 has only 10MP

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1