85b filter in 39mm

lphong

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got a few rolls of Ektachrome 64t off a friend recently. Although they are massively out of date, I still would like to give them a go. The problem is that they require a 85B filter when used in normal day light and I cannot find any available ones in 39mm on the usual sites.

I am wondering if anybody know where to get one, or have one sitting on the shelf. If you don't want to sell it, could you lend it to me for a month of so?? I promise that I will post it back to you :D :D :D

you can still order one online from adorama or b&h. also, if you scan in afterwards, you can make the color adjustment in lightroom or capture one or whatever you are using -- even most scanning software.

Usually by exposing at the wrong colour temperature - daylight instead of tungsten in this case - and trying to correct in printing or scanning can be a headache. Possibly, if the subject is relatively low-contrast, the brightest and darkest parts will fit on to the 'straighter' part of the curve, leaving some latitude for correction. But a normal contrast subject will inevitably fall in the non-linear highlight and / or shadow regions, and then you're left with trying to correct 'crossed-curves'... (I am sure many here will have tried to correct tungsten-exposed daylight-balanced negative film when printing and found how difficult it was to get acceptable highlight, mid-tone, and shadow colour balance.

OK, nowadays some software (and let's not forget the skill of the user) can produce miracles and save a shot, but the maxim is: much better to get it right at the taking stage!

• Like 3

• 2 months later...
I got a few rolls of Ektachrome 64t off a friend recently. Although they are massively out of date, I still would like to give them a go. The problem is that they require a 85B filter when used in normal day light and I cannot find any available ones in 39mm on the usual sites.

I am wondering if anybody know where to get one, or have one sitting on the shelf. If you don't want to sell it, could you lend it to me for a month of so?? I promise that I will post it back to you :D :D :D

I had the same problem, albeit with Eterna 250T, I could not find genuine 39mm 85B filter. Eventually, I went with 52mm 85B filter, which is readily available on ebay, as well as 39mm/52mm filter adapter. Cheap and efficient, except the esthetics. I still have to finish the first roll, so I can not comment on the quality of a particular filter.