what are the reasons we shoot film today?

620max

I have never tried against the 848 just the Imacon Precition II, and the 5400 also gained heeps of

new quality + features with the release of Vuescan, the KN scanner software did not do the scanner justice...(I dont know if you used Vuescan?) But to stop this "off topic" discussion, of course the Imacon scanners are overall better scanners, but for 35mm only, I get better results with 5400...(the results are up to each person

to judge, but for me there is no doubt...) But if were "knit pickin" the 5400 have better Dmax/DR than all the Imacon, even todays X1/X5... (Just read the technical specification for each scanner)

But again, no reason to discuss this to death, I'm very happy

with my 5400's, and I still shoot film today because it looks better, has more depth,

and at least for me has the only thing that digital lacks....soul!

Alex

Better than Imacon? No IMO, I used to have 5400 and 848, and they're world apart, and the best I've tried was the IQSmart 3, fantastic.

The thing is I prefer the tonality I can get from shooting XP2 or neopan 400 with an orange filter yet neither of these fully utilise the available 5400 dpi like Acros. I guess I found I am not a pixel peeper after all, its impressive for a while but then more important things take over.

Atufte I can't see any wear at all on my holders, they and the scanner looked like new when I bought it from Ffordes and reading around on line other users have reported this issue, its like there is something in the mechanics of the scanner that would need shimming slightly which I may look into.

" what are the reasons we shoot film today ?"

Hi All, a reminder and an encouragement for all lovers of film

.... with beautiful country music , beautiful ladies and beautiful color (and b&w) pictures

watch the whole movie :)

Best

Henry

Edited by Doc Henry
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

" what are the reasons we shoot film today ?"

Hi All, a reminder and an encouragement for all lovers of film

.... with beautiful country music , beautiful ladies and beautiful color (and b&w) pictures

watch the whole movie :)

Best

Henry

Good documentary!

• Like 1

Yes Paulus , a good summary of all the reasons they shoot film :)

Minute 38 a photographer spoke of "flat" digital images. This is exactly what I see and I add "without soul"

Best

Henry

Without " soul " i don't know. But maybe I shoot differently with fim...

• Like 1

What are the reasons that I shoot film today?

1. I never have to worry about how to make my photo look like film :)

2. I never have to worry about skin tones, only choices of film :)

3. Film puts my fingerprint on an image in a way that I haven't gotten from digital. This may have more to do with the fact that I am in the minority out on the street, and that this wouldn't be as significant of a reason if more photographers used film. But as we stand now, I feel that I am able to produce photos that have a subtle look about them that isn't extremely common.

• Like 5

What are the reasons that I shoot film today?

1. I never have to worry about how to make my photo look like film :)

2. I never have to worry about skin tones, only choices of film :)

3. Film puts my fingerprint on an image in a way that I haven't gotten from digital. This may have more to do with the fact that I am in the minority out on the street, and that this wouldn't be as significant of a reason if more photographers used film. But as we stand now, I feel that I am able to produce photos that have a subtle look about them that isn't extremely common.

Adam, some curious points you quote.

1. :D

2. Not sure that is technically true. I had more issues printing skin tones from film under mixed and 'wrong' lighting than I ever get from digital.

3. You should wear white gloves to prevent those fingerprints! ;)

All the above intended in a lighter vein. I get what you are really saying.

2. Not sure that is technically true. I had more issues printing skin tones from film under mixed and 'wrong' lighting than I ever get from digital.

3. You should wear white gloves to prevent those fingerprints! ;)

All the above intended in a lighter vein. I get what you are really saying.

:)

on #2 - I am only speaking for myself. I spend little or no time on skin other than to perfect the overall WB. I spend more time removing blue hues from shadow detail due to the scan. Admittedly, I do more of this than I do with digital. Having said this, getting the skin right is so much more important to an image (I've had scores and scores of M9 shots in which the skin tones couldn't be de-oranged, notwithstanding that the exposure was spot on and the lens used was tip top). Whether one encounters issues with skin tones with a film workflow may depend on what type of film one is using. But with portra 160/400 and Fuji Pro 400H, I am not having any issues.

on #3 - ha, ha, glad you get my drift. Just being honest, and in no way am trying to be cocky. The type of film, degree of pushing/pulling and lighting conditions (particularly the way in which film handles highlights, which is far superior to digital, even via scans, IMHO) are all variables that, when mixed, give me more unique results. Yeah, you could have taken that shot, but not necessarily with that particular film using that particular development process., etc... I've thought about whether this process too much given that a digital files can be manipulated in PP to replicate any rendering imaginable; but it's just a "replica"...

• Like 2

Adam, I didn't clearly explain myself wrt to #2. I was actually referring to (but didn't say!) printing from colour film in the darkroom, which I always did myself. Digital printing from digital files or film is a breeze by comparison.

• Like 1

The reasons I shoot film today? Some of the best films are available nowadays at very low prices, and some of the best BW papers too, plus I have fully equipped darkroom for up to 4x5'' and the cameras to go along.

I use a community darkroom to process my negatives and to print. When joined there was only a handful of people using the darkroom on a regular basis, most members join to only use the digital lab. There used to be days when I would be the only person in the darkroom for the entire day.

Within the last couple of months I noticed that there are more and more people using the darkroom. It's to the point where the darkroom staff need to set up multiple stations for chemistry, so that everyone is not huddled around the same station.

I'm not sure what's going on but it feels like more and more people are finding reasons to shoot film today.

• Like 4