Leitz Reproduction Setup ?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello,

I found these Leitz items that seem to be meant for reproduction purposes, and I wonder if anyone knows more about them.

There are:

- a column of 100cm

- a table clamp

- an arm to which several pieces are attached with large screws

attached to the arm are:

- first, a device that can slide up and down, covering about 6cm. One needs to turn a large black wheel

- second, attached to the slider a bracket, that could couple with a large screw to a repro camera.

I know the table clamp (found it in a Leitz catalog: Tischklemme). I thought it was meant to pair with the Valoy II enlarger, as it takes the column of that enlarger. However, this column and arm seem older than the Valoy II

What I wonder about is if this is an original setup to do repro's.

Thanks, Michael

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

The arm is probably ROONP. There were a lot of different arms and few definitive pictures of them in the catalogs.

The fine adjuster is YROOF or YRKOO. The difference is the fineness of the movement.

The end plate is UWYOO.

The table clamp is ZPOOK.

There were a lot of different columns.

Thanks Zeitz ! Very nice you could so easily provide this information

I checked with your information, it all makes sense.

Do you think this column had it's own baseboard with a connector for the column?

I like a lot this table clamp, I think even the piece of wood is original . . .

It's hard to say if the column originally had a baseboard because columns could be bought separately. You need a baseboard with a 1 1/4" fitting, such as from a Valoy enlarger. A Valoy II column is different, but I think the baseboard with the fitting is 1 1/4". Some Leica baseboard / columns / enlargers are 1 5/8". I'm really getting beyond my knowledge level, but I think Focomats I, IIa, and IIb used 1 1/4" columns. But Focomat Ic used the 1 5/8" column. I would expect Leitz enlargers for formats larger than 35mm to use the 1 5/8" setup, but it is pure speculation on my part. You can search on Leitz or Leica enlargers on e-bay and find baseboards and some of the fittings. The seller would have to answer the question of the diameter of column it would take.

None of this stuff has Leitz product codes stamped on them.

Thanks again for your information!

The Valoy II column is different in that it has a rail by which the arm goes up and down. I just checked, the actual size (outside diameter) of Valoy II column measures the same (3.2 mm) as the column that came with above mentioned items.

However, where as the Valoy II column fits the table clamp, the other column does not fit the Valoy II fitting. The upper part of this Valoy II fitting is closed and slightly too tight. Picture attached. The older column must be wider, but only a fraction of a millimeter. My tool to measure nor my eye see a difference between the two columns.

I had hoped to be able to use this longer column, and the fine tuning device, to modify a Valoy II enlarger. Now I will keep an eye out for a Valoy first version. . .

It's hard to tell if Leitz intentionally made VALOY and VALOY II with slightly different diameters. The topic of copy equipment and the re-use of parts on enlargers is one that is not well covered by the published books, at least the books I have.

• 7 years later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

The ZPOOC or 17508 table clamp seems to have become first available in 1955/56.  Listed as a component for a portable copying outfit using the valoy II collumn (1.25 inch) and adapters to the focoslide or the focusing bellows.  Here are a pair I have. What, to me, is amazing, is the quality and engineering on what most would consider a mundane part. The chrome looks like it was done yesterday, the precision feel of the screw thread is silky, a special milled rotating face plate for the screw, the chain with  chrome 5mm tightening tool, a wood insert to protecct your table, and the stunning hammer-tone paint. Clearly, Leitz made this item to the highest quality. Cost in 1957 was $12 or $113 today.

GetAttachmentThumbnail?id=AQMkADAwATY0MDABLThjYwAzLWU4MGItMDACLTAwCgBGAAAD%2BmwWoENgmUuB1pEwaVQXdgcAaVfOh0UaEUO0BA0E4UE1dwAAAgEMAAAAaVfOh0UaEUO0BA0E4UE1dwAFSgKy6gAAAAESABAA4154S4IYhkOJUG7fyaYFzQ%3D%3D&thumbnailType=2&isc=1&token=eyJhbGciOiJSUzI1NiIsImtpZCI6IjMwODE3OUNFNUY0QjUyRTc4QjJEQjg5NjZCQUY0RUNDMzcyN0FFRUUiLCJ0eXAiOiJKV1QiLCJ4NXQiOiJNSUY1emw5TFV1ZUxMYmlXYTY5T3pEY25ydTQifQ.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.HZiUSULqGaU3lvuZobAXkzac_iqrme0UhgfW7PujAXiZATn-Ic2qQWzfNCSSWjcxvgHCrrgC7c5yWPgXdSqlWSdMAlv58e5s78INxwWjpCMeD-QO_9A2IdVTNzJrUqlQgDcqrgT23ZTr08L-dbUJoHM3I-CSLoRbgFbHAlQ35VS4SdB2E581PD8HEDyD_NBKMVPCVVJe88TwfWfSoxjuc-pVJxuk9KnZiyq9z_KZgummapaxwV4l2iHfLo3IdVXuBXRUv-T8J0ktH_z80sVev055rp7rs7FLiNHgCYNfwFb5v-45aE_DOVIMvG-5doOkR-tNBQXEIu4fo1vnMq4MkQ&X-OWA-CANARY=6lxL2r1Az0yXMCIVNPpoUlD75APp_tgY7EYWmEb-7JrGGZZMJN8R-er03PrMV74voyHAo9YLfes.&owa=outlook.live.com&scriptVer=20210315003.07&animation=true

I found a 16707 repro column about 80 cm high, on an about 50 x 50 cm base, with two supports (catalogue numbers?). I offer it gratis to anyone interested, against mailing costs from Portugal.

Here are better views of the two supports and of the base.

The ZPOOC or 17508 table clamp seems to have become first available in 1955/56.  Listed as a component for a portable copying outfit using the valoy II collumn (1.25 inch) and adapters to the focoslide or the focusing bellows.  Here are a pair I have. What, to me, is amazing, is the quality and engineering on what most would consider a mundane part. The chrome looks like it was done yesterday, the precision feel of the screw thread is silky, a special milled rotating face plate for the screw, the chain with  chrome 5mm tightening tool and the stunning hammer-tone paint. Clearly, Leitz made this item to the highest quality. Cost in 1957 was $12 or $113 today!

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Alan,

I agree with you these table clamps are special. The design and the totally beautiful use of the black wrinkle paint.

I had two of them as well, then gave one to a friend. The other is in constant use in a corner of my darkroom with a short Valoy II column and a special spare arm/head which has an unusual different-than-standard focusing helicoid. I use another Valoy II enlarger all the time and swap the heads now and then. So, the table clamp helps me "store" the unused Valoy II sit in a corner, not taking any space.

Since you have an eye for the special designs Leitz made: to me it is very interesting when Leitz made things that function for both enlargers and for reproduction set-ups. My Valoy II's column is connected to a Focomat Ic column using Leitz OKLMO, the coupler that was part of the first Reprovit. A very practical piece that allows me to bring up the Valoy II more than usual. The reason behind all this is that many times I prefer the non-automatic focusing Valoy II over the Focomat Ic's automatic focus.

Michael

On 4/14/2021 at 4:12 PM, Pecole said:

Here are better views of the two supports and of the base.

The arm on top is the Valoy II enlarger arm, one can simply attach the lens stage plus enlarger head to it. Or one can attach to this arm an L shaped bracket to which a camera can be attached . . .

The arm below is likely to be for reproduction purposes only.

Anyone using the Valoy II enlarger should take this set-up that Pecole so kindly offers . . .

Michael