Zeiss Sonnar T 50mm f1.5 opinions?

w44neg

• 2 months later...

I contacted zeiss on May 1,2014 and they assured me that the sonnar 1.5 is shipped with the focus optimized at f/2.8. I must say however that the focus at 1.5 is just nicely and barely soft. I love it. At f/5.6 and f/8 it's a razor. Colors rich on my m9p.

• Like 1

Nah, 24 pairs better with 35 and 50.

Depends ... Depends ... Depends ... For example -

on your taste of lenses (legacy vs modern rendering) / shooting style (handheld vs tripod, OVF vs EVF vs ) / subjects (concerns of distortion or subject placement in relation to the environment) and many more permutations and combinations and considerations

I use a 15mm / 18mm / 21mm / 24mm and the 28mm to pair with my 35mm

I even pair my 50 with other 50's

• Like 1

Depends ... Depends ... Depends ... For example -

on your taste of lenses (legacy vs modern rendering) / shooting style (handheld vs tripod, OVF vs EVF vs ) / subjects (concerns of distortion or subject placement in relation to the environment) and many more permutations and combinations and considerations

I use a 15mm / 18mm / 21mm / 24mm and the 28mm to pair with my 35mm

I even pair my 50 with other 50's

I definitely pair 50s with other 50s (I own four of them). For travel though I'll either take just a 35 or a 24 and 50.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

Just reviving this old thread as I'm looking to buy a replacement for the Summilux I stupidly sold a few years ago (and which now cost a ridiculous amount of money).

I like the look of images from the Sonnar, but I've heard that more recent examples have the focus adjusted for 1.5, as opposed to the older examples that are optimized at 2.8 (could be an internet myth).

In any case, I've been looking at examples in the serial number range of 157... to around 159... and was under the impression that they were relatively recent. But today I came across one for sale in the range 517...

I can't find any information about the current range of serials for the this lens - anyone have any ideas? Can this serial be trusted?

2 hours ago, plasticman said:

Just reviving this old thread as I'm looking to buy a replacement for the Summilux I stupidly sold a few years ago (and which now cost a ridiculous amount of money).

I like the look of images from the Sonnar, but I've heard that more recent examples have the focus adjusted for 1.5, as opposed to the older examples that are optimized at 2.8 (could be an internet myth).

In any case, I've been looking at examples in the serial number range of 157... to around 159... and was under the impression that they were relatively recent. But today I came across one for sale in the range 517...

I can't find any information about the current range of serials for the this lens - anyone have any ideas? Can this serial be trusted?

TheGoodParticle reply was the best here imo, but I bought that lens two years ago and it was indeed optimized to 2.8 - was a recent production lens.

Best is to ask seller to confirm, or see it and test in store - unless there is a good return policy attached to it.

Yes, it does have the zeiss signature, but was pointless to me having a 1.5 lens and forced to close down to shoot with it.

glwys

Phil

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, plasticman said:

[...] I've heard that more recent examples have the focus adjusted for 1.5, as opposed to the older examples that are optimized at 2.8 (could be an internet myth).
In any case, I've been looking at examples in the serial number range of 157... to around 159... and was under the impression that they were relatively recent. [...]

Not a myth at all, my 15933*** copy purchased in 2014 is calibrated at f/1.5. I would ask Zeiss to be sure.

• Thanks 1

FWIW, I bought one of these new from B&H in August.  Serial number range is 15937***.  I don't know what it is calibrated yet as I don't have a digital M and I've yet to develop film that I've shot with it.  It does work great on the A7rIII though.

I bought one in the 1593**** range - so hopefully it'll be calibrated for f1.5 (I'll check it when it arrives - the current owner didn't know).

I have plenty of other lenses that are probably better for f2 and up (Summicrons), so while in danger of using it as a 'one-trick-pony', my main use-case for this lens is using it wide open when the Summicrons aren't getting enough light.

Thanks for the input.

Edited by plasticman

Lens arrived today...and it's simply STUNNING! I absolutely can't see any shortfall in build-quality compared to Leica lenses, whatsoever. In fact, compared (for instance) to the Summicron 35 v4 that needed an overhaul when the plastic parts wore out, then it seems to me the build is better than at least some Leica lenses.

Lovely, really beautiful lens. Balances perfectly on the front of the M6. Now all that remains is to take some pictures...

• Like 1

As an extra note - it does appear that the lens is calibrated for focus at f1,5, exactly as lct has said for the later serials. At first I thought the focus was maybe 10cm in front of the target, but luckily I realized I was measuring from the front of the lens instead of the plane of focus (testing on the Leica T).

Edited by plasticman
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, stephengv said:

Took the plunge and finally ordered one. Do you guys also bought the lens hood? Thanks

A combination rarely removed from my M7.  :)

(Taken withLeica C).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

Heard back immediately from Zeiss:

Out of factory, the C-Sonnar T* 1,5/50 ZM always comes in an adjustment to be the best compromize regarding its focus shift.

On a camera with a perfectly calibrated rangefinder, the C-Sonnar will give you a slight front focus at f/1.5, spot-on focusing at f/2, and a slight backfocus at f/2.8.

Please do your own tests with your camera to get used to the behaviour of this special lens

On special request, we can offer an individual adjustment of this lens.
It is not possible to know by the serial number if a certain lens had been adjusted individually to a certain camera body.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1