M 240 Actuation Count

simik

• 6 months later...

I know this is an old thread but just thought to add something, it's not so much that we'd like to know the shutter accuations per se, but rather how heavily used a camera is. All the talk about Live View etc upsetting the count is perfectly true but it's "camera use" most people are interested in. Especially if buying second hand, it would make a difference to me if the shutter count was less than 1000 compared to buying a camera with a count above 100,000.

Isn't that relevant?  If you agree with that then having access to "shutter count" is relevant too and Leica should consider this in any future firmware updates.

With regard to the little tool, I've have 3 Ms, M240, M-P and a type 246, all bought new, if I sold them I'm sure I'd like to declare their usage. It would be be nice if the tool could do a count of images in my library and sort them by camera type, I keep all images so the tool would certainly help work out how many exposures each model had made.

"Age" of a camera is relevant too, a 5 year old M240 with <1000 count would be a dodgy buy as opposed to 2 year old model with 20,000.  Letting these beauties sit around without use can have more problems than one that is used on a regular basis.

"Age" of a camera is relevant too, a 5 year old M240 with <1000 count would be a dodgy buy as opposed to 2 year old model with 20,000. Letting these beauties sit around without use can have more problems than one that is used on a regular basis.

Sorry, but I don't agree. The M240 is basically a computer with a few mechanical components bolted onto it Apart from a slight reduction in battery capacity, it's likely to work exactly the way it did when it left the factory.

• 1 month later...

"Age" of a camera is relevant too, a 5 year old M240 with <1000 count would be a dodgy buy as opposed to 2 year old model with 20,000. Letting these beauties sit around without use can have more problems than one that is used on a regular basis.

Sorry, but I don't agree. The M240 is basically a computer with a few mechanical components bolted onto it Apart from a slight reduction in battery capacity, it's likely to work exactly the way it did when it left the factory.

I brought my 2011 Toyota in for an oil change and checkup. It has just over 8,000 miles on it. Barely broken in. The tech asked me to come back to look at an oil leak. I asked, "How can it have a leak with only 8,000 miles?" He answered, "Age." I was stunned. It's only ~7 years-old. I'm 71 years-old and I don't leak! Yet.

• Like 1

Hello M owners,

I'd like to have a look at the shutter count on a M-240 cause it annoys me that they obfuscated it. :) Problem is I don't have one at hand.

So I'd need one or several M users willing to spend a few minutes to provide me with some data.

If you meet the following requirements I'd be glad for a notice (PM, mail, whatever)

1.) you own a Leica M(240)

2.) you're annoyed by not being able to read the shutter count any more

3.) you're never(seldom) shooting videos

4.) you never(seldom) reset image numbering

5.) you're the first owner of your M so we can assume it hasn't had many exposures before you got it

That's how I plan to do it: I'll write a small tool that you put in the folder where your images are stored and it'll create a list with the necessary information. You then send me the list and I'll try to find out how it's done.

I can't promise that it works, but I want to give it a try. If I figure it out there'll be a small program like M9info or something of that sort...

I hope I find some help!

Cheers,

Arvid

There is maybe an easy way to count the shutter actuations if you really want: I use a Nikon and a Leica M240. I know the Nikon shutter actuations. I can see in Lightroom how many photo's there are in total. I substract the Nikon actuations of the total number and find my Leica M 240 actuations.... But still not interesting to find. I will not make more or less actuations knowing the number. Like our car. It broke down after 489.000 Kilometers or some more. When we considered repairing it, or putting in a new motor, we realized that the body of the car was in worse shape than it's motor.  I'll guess it would be the same with the M 240 one it's broken. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There is maybe an easy way to count the shutter actuations if you really want: I use a Nikon and a Leica M240. I know the Nikon shutter actuations. I can see in Lightroom how many photo's there are in total. I substract the Nikon actuations of the total number and find my Leica M 240 actuations.... But still not interesting to find. I will not make more or less actuations knowing the number. Like our car. It broke down after 489.000 Kilometers or some more. When we considered repairing it, or putting in a new motor, we realized that the body of the car was in worse shape than it's motor.  I'll guess it would be the same with the M 240 one it's broken.

Have you ever used Live View?

• 8 months later...
  • 4 years later...
On 3/10/2023 at 12:39 AM, astavrou said:

I know this is an old thread, but has anyone ever seen a modern focal plan shutter failing? In 40 years and many cameras, I've never seen it. Leaf shutters yes.

Mine blew up about 5 years ago, when the camera was about 5 years old. It had taken about 300,000 images, but Leica still replaced it for free.

• 1 month later...
On 3/10/2014 at 2:05 AM, Herr Barnack said:

Leica should include a 4x6 inch notebook and a pencil with each M kit so owners can keep track of shutter actuations. Maybe that will be a $200 option on the second generation M240.

Why does Leica not want M240 users to know how many shutter actuations their camera accumulates? Or is the secret the number of actuations before it leaves the factory?

I can't see why any M240 buyer would be mad that the camera was tested before it was sent to the dealer...

Is it because they don’t want users to say the number of actuations to the dreaded black frame. My 1st M240 failed at an estimated #500. It was repaired and returned with a ‘new’ replacement shutter but failed within an estimated #250 clicks. 
Through perseverance I managed to get a replacement camera, new in box. I’ve had one or two ‘black frames’ since.