Under exposure issue with LiveView/EVF

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Problem:

- When using LiveView or the EVF, I get badly underexposed images 20-30% of the time.

- The amount of underexposure is in the order of -2ev to -3ev (bad and unusable)

How to reproduce the issue:

1. Turn LiveView or EVF on
  2. Focus the subject using Focus Peaking
  3. Release the shutter

The first image is usually good if you have started from a cold boot-up.

Wait for 20 seconds

- Focus using Focus Peaking

- Release the shutter

- And, you should get the underexposed image.

If you want to repeatedly get the underexposed effect, wait for another 20 secs and repeat it.

Cause?

a) It seems like I need to keep the sensor warm in order to get correct exposures after the first exposure from a cold start-up. I thought there is another sensor (the light meter) that is handling exposure apart from the CMOS?

B) Does the light-meter goes into a sleep mode after 20 seconds when in LiveView/EVF mode?

c) Looks like a firmware bug to me (I hope).

Settings

1. If I unplug EVF or not use LiveView, everything behaves as normal.
  2. Exposure set to Classic/Center-weighted or Advanced (Multi-segments) --- did not make a difference
  3. Using latest firmware 1.0.0.12 (came installed)

Have you guys seen this?

Edited by arthury

What are your camera settings?

Aperture Priority Mode?

Yes

Which lens and aperture?

Tried 35mm/2 ASPH and 50mm/0.95 Noctilux ASPH (both wide open and mid-tier aperture) --- no difference

All coded lenses.

Low light or outdoors and bright?

- tried both with indoor lighting (at night) and indoor window light (day time)

Shutter speed?

- correct exposure shutter speed = 1/25sec (day time) and around 1/12 sec (night time)

- bad exposure is almost always (1/45sec) and shutter had a different sound

Are you metering and then setting the shutter/aperture?

- yes, I metered and received exposure conformation dot on the top right-hand corner of the viewfinder.

Aperture Priority Mode?

Yes

Which lens and aperture?

Tried 35mm/2 ASPH and 50mm/0.95 Noctilux ASPH (both wide open and mid-tier aperture) --- no difference

All coded lenses.

Low light or outdoors and bright?

- tried both with indoor lighting (at night) and indoor window light (day time)

Shutter speed?

- correct exposure shutter speed = 1/25sec (day time) and around 1/12 sec (night time)

- bad exposure is almost always (1/45sec) and shutter had a different sound

Are you metering and then setting the shutter/aperture?

- yes, I metered and received exposure conformation dot on the top right-hand corner of the viewfinder.

I am sending you a PM.

Wait 10 seconds and reply if you wish.

Interesting ... I just tried outdoors lighting (very overcast)

- wide-opened

- good exposure 1/750sec

- waited 20 secs, re-focused and released shutter

- bad exposure 1/500 sec (overexposed!)

-- 5secs image review followed

-- shutter sounded like it resets only after a few seconds (unlike the behavior of the good exposure case, which resets right after the shutter was released)

Edited by arthury

Sorry, I never saw this and I just followed your post and get identically exposed images….Cannot replicate.

Off to the Mothership I fear.

That'll be like 2.5 months not seeing the camera again?

My 3 week old M 240 does the same thing. I didn't notice it until I updated to the newest firmware.

I took it to the shop ready to return it with 2 days left on my 2 week grace period. After fiddling with the camera...reformatting, resetting and taking the battery out and back it, they couldn't reproduce it. But it reverted back to the bad behavior a couple days later. I assuming its a firmware problem and will take care of itself. In the mean time I will either shoot using the rangefinder or shoot twice when necessary when using LV/EVF.

I don't think I'll send the camera back for this unless it proves to be a hardware problem.

• Like 1

To reproduce the issue more reliably, one need to shoot a few times to get the sensor to warm up. I was not able to reproduce the issue at will this morning when I started it up but after several shots, I can reliably reproduce the issue yet again following the steps I listed above in the OP.

My 3 week old M 240 does the same thing. I didn't notice it until I updated to the newest firmware.

I took it to the shop ready to return it with 2 days left on my 2 week grace period. After fiddling with the camera...reformatting, resetting and taking the battery out and back it, they couldn't reproduce it. But it reverted back to the bad behavior a couple days later. I assuming its a firmware problem and will take care of itself. In the mean time I will either shoot using the rangefinder or shoot twice when necessary when using LV/EVF.

I don't think I'll send the camera back for this unless it proves to be a hardware problem.

Could you reproduce the issue using LiveView as well (not just EVF) ?

Yes, it definitely happened with both LV and EVF.

Thanks for the confirmation.

One other thing: when it underexposed, were the shutter speeds fixed at 1/45 sec for indoor available light?

Edited by arthury