Filter Frustration: mixed messages from Solms

grober

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am surprised that no one has started a legal action against Leica! They put a camera on the market that has serious color problems, seemingly without realizing that the problems exist. Then in response to the discovery, they make an excuse to justify the design. Seemingly had they anticipated the problem to begin with, as you'd think any company with a sophisticated R&D department would, they would have had a solution ready at the time the product was shipped. Here we are months after purchase, having ordered filters that we haven't received, with no indication at the time of order that they didn't have them to ship. To add further insult, user Forum messages suggest that the filters may not even correct the color problem.

I also have to wonder why they will only give us 2 free filters. I have 5 M lenses. I paid to have three upgraded. I have used Leicas for 25 years. The reward I get for being a loyal user is that I have to purchase additional filters because the M8 has a color problem. I have to pay extra because Leica brought something to market that requires assistive devices. I'm guessing that were I to purchase a new lens the filter won't be included in the price. You'd think that all new lenses would automatically be shipped with a filter.

The very least Leica could do is supply anyone with an M8 free filters for every M lens he/she owns and to provide them with every new lens.

If as the Forum suggest the filters do not totally remedy the situation, at the very lease Leica should warn future buyers of M8's of the problem.

No surprise no one has taken legal action as there is no basis for legal action. The current limitations of technology require an IR filter for applications that have such a small distance between sensor and lens. Leica quickly made potential buyers aware of this requirement and offered to foot the bill for filters which depending on size represent about 5% of the M8's retail value. Considering the volume of sales of Leica products across the board the market is endorsing with it's $$$ Leica's actions.

You can wait for the laws of physics to change, wait for some advance in technology years down the road that will enable Leica to dispense with the filters, stick with film or buy a digital camera that doesn't have to use filters. Asking Leica to give you a blank check for as many filters as you like is not an option that anyone will take seriously.

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Well to a point I have to agree with seiden, NOT about the legal action, about filters.

Ed,

For the most part, I think the frustration about filters is justified. It would be a nice gesture for Leica to at least discount filters for new lens purchases. The rest of that post, though, is seriously convoluted.

Larry

Ed,

For the most part, I think the frustration about filters is justified. It would be a nice gesture for Leica to at least discount filters for new lens purchases. The rest of that post, though, is seriously convoluted.

Larry

Agreed.

Sue for this, sue for that, blah blah blah.

I wish they would change the laws in the USA so that the loser of a suit would have to pay all court cost and lawyer fees.

I also have to wonder why they will only give us 2 free filters. I have 5 M lenses......

......The very least Leica could do is supply anyone with an M8 free filters for every M lens he/she owns and to provide them with every new lens.

Err... no. I don't think they should have to give everyone free filters for every lens. What happened to equality? Some one would want financial compensation for the filters they didn't get because they didn't have as many lenses! I can just hear it now!

I bought some of my lenses s/h, from the early 80s. Why should they have to give me free filters for a lens they sold 25 years ago before the M8 was even thought of? What about third party lenses?

I have to pay extra because Leica brought something to market that requires assistive devices. I'm guessing that were I to purchase a new lens the filter won't be included in the price. You'd think that all new lenses would automatically be shipped with a filter.

Given that the filters should NOT be used with film cameras, I don't think you thought this one through.

If as the Forum suggest the filters do not totally remedy the situation, at the very lease Leica should warn future buyers of M8's of the problem.

I bought my M8 in early January (as soon as I could) and was fully aware of the problems - and still bought one. If any one bought theirs after (say) mid November, they pretty much knew there were issues, and if you can't live with them, you either should not have bought it, or should sell it.

If you want to start legal action to recover the cost of your outlay, go ahead. See how much more you will need to spend to do so. I think filters would be both cheaper and quicker.

I understand that some people are a little miffed, but I bought some B+W filters to fill in the gaps where I had it (and yes I have had my free Leica filters - but still needed more B+W). Considering the cost of everything else, filters are not significant.

Also, while we are at it, why don't we take legal action over all the other 'assistive devices' we needed to buy, like a tripod, or a flash, or worse still - sensor cleaning equipment! Oohh hang on - didn't they know the sensor got dirty too? Ooooh, big case coming up I think (not). :D