Asia One Challenge 2015

Some things to try in Tokyo -

The barriers of the stations will open by inserting the ticket to the barrier . It will seemingly re-appear immediately two to three steps behind the barrier. It travels pretty fast through the machine, while it is also validated. Once, I made a small dot with a pencil to ensure that it is the same ticket. The alternative is a RFID Suica-card – Londoners will know the principle from their Oyster-cards.

I also found it impressive to see the number of people passing at rush hour through the large stations like Shinjuku, Shinagawa, or Tokyo.

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government building at Shinjuku station is open to the public at the 45th floor, which allows a view over the city, skyscrapers stretching to the horizon in all directions. It is a good way of getting a feeling for the size of the city.

Sometimes, there are mobile earthquake simulators at the stations. Please remember to take off the shoes before entering, since technically they are living rooms.

Stefan

[This post is gonna be all voer the place]

Good point. Sometimes for some stations (esp busy ones with lots a ppl passing through), those barriers are already open. Please don't just walk through without putting in your ticket or touching your Suica card on the sensor. There's (obviously) a body sensor before the barriers that will detect that a person is passing through that hasn't put their ticket and the barriers will close. The logic for why they remain open (instead of closed) during busy periods is just to smoothen the flow of traffic - the assumption made though is that everyone will put their tickets/touch the sensor.

Talking about tall structures, you could go to Skytree too. I've actually not been there myself. Probably a good time now when the weather is still clear from summer pollution (therefore good views of the sea of buildings & Mt Fuji in the background).

W.R.T. shops, I personally prefer MapCamera in Shinjuku to look at Leica gear more than the Leica Ginza store itself. There's more Ltd Ed on display in MapCamera.

About taking off shoes, no holes in socks ;-)!! I've got caught once or twice before in the past. Some local restaurants you go to would require you to take off your shoes too (esp for those tatami floored izakayas).

Finally, an important word to learn is "sumimasen" ("sue me masen") - it's primarily "excuse me" but generic enough to be used for a mild thank you, a mild sorry, or just to get attention. e.g. In an izakaya restaurant to get the attention of a waiter/waitress, you can stick your hand up and shout sumimasen. If they offer you a wet towel (oshiburi) to wipe your hands you can receive it and a gentle sumimasen, domo. If you walk in the streets and accidentally bump someone, you can say sumimasen. Similarly if you want to get pass them you can say sumimasen to get their attention that you want to walk pass them.

• Like 3

Some of us will be traveling with the Narita express to Shinjuku.

Assume that the Japan Rail pass will be fine for this trip.

How does one register the pass? Do we need to go somewhere before getting on the train?

Not sure how this will work, someone has an idea?

From Shinjuku train station I assume that it might be best to take a taxi to the Granbell hotel (about 1 - 1,5 km).

Looking forward meeting you on Monday 18th!

John

• Like 1

How does one register the pass? Do we need to go somewhere before getting on the train?

From Shinjuku train station I assume that it might be best to take a taxi to the Granbell hotel (about 1 - 1,5 km).

John

Hi John,

Once you've got your JR pass, when you arrive in Japan and at the JR station, there is an office. I believe you just have to head to that office and present your JR pass. Every JR station has an office. If you're going to the one in Shinjuku :-

(JR EAST Travel Centre on the left side of the picture)

http://www.jreast.co.jp/E/stations/e866.html

Yes you can take a taxi to Granbell Hotel. FYI, English is probably not so widely used in Japan. You're better off printing something like 新宿グランベルホテル and showing it to them. Once you've arrived the hotel, you can ask the hotel for a business card which can be used to present to the taxis during your travel should you wish to use the taxi again.

@erl, I know you're walking but if you change your mind and want to use the taxi, your hotel would be イーホテル東新宿.

Edit: Yesterday's news. Free WiFi in Tokyo JR stations and in Tohoku Shinkansen. Don't know if  you guys are using this Shinkansen to go to Kyoto though. 

http://www.japantoday.com/category/travel/view/free-wi-fi-now-available-on-tohoku-shinkansen-inside-tokyos-yamanote-line-stations

Edited by AnakChan
  • Like 4

Hi John,

Once you've got your JR pass, when you arrive in Japan and at the JR station, there is an office. I believe you just have to head to that office and present your JR pass. Every JR station has an office. If you're going to the one in Shinjuku :-

(JR EAST Travel Centre on the left side of the picture)

http://www.jreast.co.jp/E/stations/e866.html

You'll have to activate the pass before you get to Shinjuku, and can do this directly at Narita. Here are the instructions http://www.jrpass.com/blogs/activating-the-jr-pass-at-narita-airport - if you don't do it at Narita I assume you would be traveling on the NEX without a ticket.

• Like 6

John

Hallo, Satijintie

Thank you for the additional info.

On Monday 18th May, you''ll be in Granbell Hotel in Shinjuku.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Not suer if this has been touched on or not yet, but,,,

To those taking the shinkansen over to Kyoto: your ticket will allow you to go to one local station anywhere from the JR line locally. So don't just exit the station you arrive at, then go back in. You can use the ticket you receive to keep going to a different local station, then use it to exit. Saves you a few hundred yen.

I live here in Osaka so I'll  make a day trip out of it in Kyoto for the challenge on the 23rd and also may stay for the night photo shoot. If anyone needs help getting around, let me know; been studying Japanese for the past year and can at least get around decently (Japanese is hard, Mandarin is easier for some reason. XD)

EDIT:

Also, on the 24th, there's a photo walk going on in Osaka if anyone is interested in joining. Still getting the details, but I believe it starts around 10am at Osaka station. 

Edited by Torgian
  • Like 4

Just a note for those of you flying into Haneda- taking the bus from the airport to Shinjuku is very simple - I took it earlier in the week and it cost 1200 or 1300 yen, and took 45 minutes door to door (note this might take longer in rush hour). Buses are fairly regular, 3-5 per hour.

You can buy the ticket on the arrivals floor at the bus ticket counter.

• Like 2

I'm envious of you being there already Simon!

Just printing out all my travel documents now. Will be on my way soon.

Looking forwards to you all arriving. I'm not in Tokyo yet, but should be taking the train from Nagano to Shinjuku sometime tomorrow.

• Like 2

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

John - here's a nice feature of the A7 - you can share photos whilst on the move (albeit low resolution, unedited) by connecting the camera to your smartphone via the inbuilt wifi :)

Mountains in Chino, Nagano Prefecture shot with A7 and Elmarit-M 90mm

• Like 5

Simon,

Very nice! You took that after the typhoon? FYI, if you check into Granbell some time today and wanna get a cuppa coffee, do let me know. My office is in Shinjuku Eastside Square (the large new building complex in the corner of the major intersection). I can come down for a cup of coffee or something. I believe you have my contact.

Simon,

Very nice! You took that after the typhoon? FYI, if you check into Granbell some time today and wanna get a cuppa coffee, do let me know. My office is in Shinjuku Eastside Square (the large new building complex in the corner of the major intersection). I can come down for a cup of coffee or something. I believe you have my contact.

Hi Sean,

Thanks. I won't be checking in to the Granbell until Saturday though - first a couple of nights in the Minato area.

• Like 1

Just tried checking in to the Granbell at 12pm but the room wasn't available. They are able to store bags though, albeit in the entrance hall with around 100 other bags :) (it seems to be quite a big hotel)

Edited by DigitalHeMan
  • Like 3

Just tried checking in to the Granbell at 12pm but the room wasn't available. They are able to store bags though, albeit in the entrance hall with around 100 other bags :) (it seems to be quite a big hotel)

Hello, Simon

Good for you to arrive safely at the Glanbell Hotel.

I'm waiting for your additional info.

Best Regards,

• Like 1

Ok, after checking the hotel and neighborhood out a bit, I think the best place to meet will be the Granbell hotel cafe. This is located on the first floor (ground floor to the Europeans!) to the left of reception.

I would suggest the following as a starter:

Sunday morning: I will be in the cafe from 1000-1030. After that, I will probably head over to Harajuku/Yoyogi Park, and the Meiji shrine. I appreciate that no one will really have arrived by this point, with the exception of Philippe and the locals, so I might be in my own :)

Sunday evening: if anyone wants to join for dinner and an evening stroll I would suggest meeting in the hotel cafe at 1830

Monday: I will be in the cafe from 0930-1000. After that see what people feel like doing, but one suggestion would be Asakusa and Senso-ji

Monday evening: a lot more people will have arrived by then, so let's meet in the cafe at 1700

Edited by DigitalHeMan
  • Like 4

17:00 at the Granbell cafe is ok for me!

simon: did your Wifi  box arrived at the hotel reception?

Read some hotel recessions that this does not always worked well.

Enjoy your trips on Sunday and Monday, we will join you soon!

John

• Like 1

17:00 at the Granbell cafe is ok for me!

simon: did your Wifi box arrived at the hotel reception?

Read some hotel recessions that this does not always worked well.

Enjoy your trips on Sunday and Monday, we will join you soon!

John

Hi John

It arrived fine, although I had mine delivered to a different hotel earlier in the week. If it doesn't arrive then the company I used claim they will sort it out quickly.

• Like 1

Thanks Simon, for the info and references. This trip is becoming dangerous (financially!!!).

I always never go shoping, but I just might this time. After a good sleep, I may venture into the city (Melbourne) and buy the A7S body and count on getting an adapter in Shinjuku. As I rationalize my position, I really need two adapters. One for M lenses and one for R lenses. This is my way of avoiding buying an M240 or whatever.

Trouble is, I know my photography will be exactly the same, just more fun with more gear. :)

Tragic.

John,

If you're looking for an adapter, I can confirm you have. A choice of at least six different types :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!